Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Harry Potter-esque books?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-04, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harry Potter-esque books?

My child has really enjoyed these. Can anyone recommend other books/series that are similar? Not necessarily the same type of story, but well written, easy for 10 yr olds to read, and challenging enough to keep them progressing. Thanks!
Old 01-06-04, 10:46 AM
Banned

Chronicles of Narnia

The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings (of course, if he's seen the movies, wouldn't do much good)
Old 01-06-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anything by Roald Dahl. Don't know if they're advanced enough, but I thought HP was written in a very similar style. I still enjoy reading them at 26
Old 01-06-04, 08:14 PM

I enjoyed David Edding's Belgariad and Piers Anthony's Xanth series when I was that age.

Some I haven't read, but have heard lumped in with HP are: Lemony Snicket series, Artemis Fowl, Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy.
Old 01-07-04, 02:07 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Perhaps....

.... the works of Alan Garner?

Elidor: Click for detailsWeirdstone: Click for detailsMoon of Gomrath: Click for detailsRedshift: Click for detailsThe Owl Service: Click for details

From a newspaper interview:
Despite an OBE for services to children's literature, and the fact that books like The Weirdstone of Brisingamen and Elidor are the kind of absorbing childhood fantasy that reverberates into adulthood, to view Garner as a children's writer is reductive. He puts it best when he says: "I do not write for children, but for myself. Adolescents read my books. By adolescence, I mean an arbitrary age somewhere between 10 and 18." It's an in-between group, and Garner's books are likewise poised between passion and detachment, intensity and alienation, blunt modernity and ancient myth. His style is stripped-down, yet shares dialect and linguistic relish with much older works. "The language of my childhood and of my native culture is, technically, North-west Mercian Middle English," he has said - the language of the Gawain poet. The layers of local history and a precise sense of place are paramount in his work.

He has been writing for over 40 years; each book is a lengthy project as he pours so much research into it (learning Welsh for The Owl Service, for example). Eventually, "I feel a jolt within me and I hear quite without any understanding; I hear words, which I put down". Not all his work is fantasy - the Stone Quartet follows four generations of Garner's family from the mid-19th century to the second world war.
Old 01-07-04, 02:22 PM

My younger cousins enjoy the Lemony Snicket books along with Harry Potter.
Old 01-07-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Philip Pullman - His Dark Materials

The Golden Compass
The Subtle Knife
The Amber Spyglass
Old 01-09-04, 10:53 AM

aren't the Lemony Snicket books the big thing now?
Old 01-09-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by jayson1017
The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings (of course, if he's seen the movies, wouldn't do much good)
Despite the desire of many people to compare the two sets of movies to each other, the books are not similar at all.
Old 01-09-04, 01:12 PM
Mod Emeritus

<small>
Originally posted by juiio
Despite the desire of many people to compare the two sets of movies to each other, the books are not similar at all.
</small>That said, the books may be "not necessarily the same type of story, but well written, easy for 10 yr olds to read, and challenging enough to keep them progressing"....
Old 01-09-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

We went to Borders and checked 'em all out. He went with the Hobbit, and has been tearing it up. Turning off the games to read, much like when he has a new Harry Potter book. We plan to hit some of the other suggestions when he finishes The Hobbit...unless he decides to stay in Middle Earth and read the rest of the books. (I snagged The Da Vinci Code myself. Peer pressure I guess.)

Thanks again! Printing and saving thread.
Old 01-09-04, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A cousin gave me Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl and the Century Code (not sure) and she said that the series (there's 3 so far) has been compared to Harry. I guess, considering the protagonist is also a teenager. Can't get past Chapter 2 though, unlike with Sorcerer, where I couldn't stop reading after Chapter 1.
Old 01-11-04, 01:37 PM

I'd also recommend Mary Stewart's Arthurian series.
Old 01-11-04, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How about:

The Thief Lord by Cornilia - Cornelia Funke (good read)
Inkheart - Cornelia Funke
Eragon (Inheritance, Book 1) - Christopher Paolini
Bartimaeus Trilogy Book One: The Amulet of Samarkand - Jonathan Stroud (supposed to be a darker version of Harry Potter)
Abarat - Clive Barker (I am reading this now and it is a fun book)
Old 01-11-04, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by neiname
Philip Pullman - His Dark Materials

The Golden Compass
The Subtle Knife
The Amber Spyglass
Yes! I loved this series... pretty racy suject matter for the younger set but it rocked!

I loved the last book when the Dr. was living with that race of "motorbike antelope"...I wanted a whole book on that.
Old 01-18-04, 05:00 PM

this is very much the American follow up to Harry Potter:

Eragon (Inheritance, Book 1) - Christopher Paolini
Old 01-19-04, 12:27 PM

Lloyd Alexander wrote 5 very good books in a series

The Book of Three
The Black Cauldren
Castle of Llyr
Taran Wonderer
The High King
Old 01-21-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Both Abarat and The Thief of Always by Clive Barker.
Old 06-27-06, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like it, Jay.
Old 02-21-07, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been reading inkheart and have found it to be pretty good. There are some very minor sexual tones to it here and there but you'd have to have a pretty dirty mind to pick up on them. I'd say 10 years and up, probably 12 to be safe.
Old 02-22-07, 01:52 AM

Maybe the Hobbit, but the Lord of the Rings might be a bit advanced, or dare I say, boring, for a 10 year old.

I'd recommend the Lemony Snicket books (I just finished the series and loved it, I felt there was still some jokes that kids wouldn't get, particularly when the author would describe word definitions)

I cannot recommend Roald Dahl enough. My favorites are:
Matilda, Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, Charlie & the Great Glass Elevator and The Fantastic Mr. Fox (a good short book)

The comparisons between Rowling and Dahl are somewhat merited, but I'd say that Roald Dahl books are most similar to the beginning of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, a bit whimsical and humourous, but a lot of fun to read.

And though I haven't read them, I've heard great things about the 'His Dark Materials trilogy,' if your child can read 'half-blood prince' I'm sure this won't be a problem.

Oh, and I don't know if it's a bit too much, but I loved 'Ender's Game' by Orson Scott Card. I'd either read it first to see if it's suitable for your child or wait a few years.

Oh, and the Narnia series is pure gold.

Last edited by neocheddar02; 02-22-07 at 01:54 AM.
Old 02-22-07, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by neocheddar02
I'd recommend the Lemony Snicket books (I just finished the series and loved it, I felt there was still some jokes that kids wouldn't get, particularly when the author would describe word definitions)
I'd suggest Snicket as well. There is actually quite a bit for adults in the series (the conspiracy and mystery angles are very "behind the scenes" and would probably be missed by most kids).
Old 02-22-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am not recommending it (since I have not read it), but I read the sleeve jacket and it sounds like a clone of HP.

Charlie Bone.
Old 02-22-07, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
I second Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles....also, I think I was about 9 or 10 when I discovered my favorite book of all time (still) "Watership Down" by Richard Adams...it's not a fantasy in the sense that it takes place in a world not quite our own but it's extremely moving and very well written...if he's into animals at all, he'll love it.

Michael
Old 02-22-07, 05:59 PM

The "The Dark is Rising" series was one of my favorites as a child in the 80's.

Turns out it is being turned into a movie and is currently filming.

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Rising-Se...e=UTF8&s=books

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.