Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

HEART-SHAPED BOX by Joe Hill (Stephen King's boy!)

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

HEART-SHAPED BOX by Joe Hill (Stephen King's boy!)

Old 11-09-07, 02:33 PM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts
^ thanks for the heads-up!
Old 04-29-08, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reading it now..its very reminiscent of vintage King..looking forward to more from Joe..
BTW I believe the little kid at the beginning and end of Creepshow is Joe
Old 04-29-08, 08:52 AM

I read this a few weeks ago and loved it. I've recommended it to a lot of friends.
Old 04-29-08, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quite a few of my SO's Jodi Picoult books say the cover design is by Tabitha King and I've wondered if it is his wife?
Old 04-29-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Tabitha King is Stephen King's wife... But she's an author, not a book designer.
Old 10-08-09, 02:55 PM

Re: HEART-SHAPED BOX by Joe Hill (Stephen King's boy!)

Joe Hill has a new novel due Feb 9, 2010.

About the Book:
Ignatius Martin Perrish spent the night drunk and doing terrible things. He woke the next morning with a headache, put his hands to his temples and felt something unfamiliar, a pair of knobby, pointed protuberances. He was so ill—wet-eyed and weak—he didn’t think anything of it at first, was too hung-over for thinking or worry. But when he was swaying over the toilet, he glanced at himself in the mirror above the sink and saw he had grown horns while he slept.

The second son of a renowned musician and doting mother, Ig Perrish has a privileged life and expectations of a bright future with his childhood sweetheart, Merrin Williams. But life takes an unexpected dark turn when Merrin is brutally killed and suspicion falls hard on Ig.

A year passes, but Ig is nowhere near over his grief or his rage . . . feelings that come to a head in a lost evening of alcohol and hate. When he wakes the next morning he discovers that he has undergone a surreal transformation, and is in possession of an incredible power. It isn’t long before he turns his terrible new abilities towards vengeance. Unfortunately Ig is about to learn that when it comes to revenge, the devil is in the details.

About the Author:
Joe Hill is the author of the New York Times bestselling novel Heart-Shaped Box, the award-winning collection, 20th Century Ghosts, and a critically acclaimed comic book series, Locke & Key.
I enjoyed Heart-Shaped box (though it had its flaws). Looking forward to the follow-up.
Old 01-18-10, 08:48 PM

I loved this book. 20th Century Ghosts wasn't quite at the same level, but HSB was top-notch!
Old 01-19-10, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rudolphia
I loved this book. 20th Century Ghosts wasn't quite at the same level, but HSB was top-notch!
Wish I felt the same. The definition of overrated IMO. Villain felt like Freddy Krueger at times. Very unlikeable characters.
Old 01-19-10, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Wish I felt the same. The definition of overrated IMO. Villain felt like Freddy Krueger at times. Very unlikeable characters.
Agreed. I was let-down by HSB. Although I will give Hill the benefit of the doubt and check out Horns when it's released.
Old 01-19-10, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Agreed. I was let-down by HSB. Although I will give Hill the benefit of the doubt and check out Horns when it's released.
I totally agree. I'm not writing Hill off yet, I will definitely check out his new book and I still need to read Locke & Key. HSB was really just a case IMO of his name creating a fandom regardless of the content of the work was, as the book really wasn't that good or original.
Old 01-25-10, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seen 20th Century Ghosts in the discount shelf at B&N and almost picked it up several times. Think I might next time I'm there.

As far as his name goes, it actually is his name, he's just dropping the last name. Growing up reading Stephen King books, I remember routinely seeing them dedicated to his kids, one of whom was Joe Hill King.

I have to say, it is odd that he's writing horror fiction. He may be good, but what are the odds that if his dad wasn't Stephen King that he'd be doing this? Would sort of be like if Sofia Coppola, instead of doing Lost in Translation, was busy directing mafia family epics. Would just feel like a cashing-in on dad's name.
Old 01-28-10, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In Joe's defense, he sold the book under the alias, without William Morrow knowing who he was.

I thought Heart-Shaped Box was very good for a first novel. It's not a great book by any means, but expecting a writer's first novel to be great is expecting a lot. My main negative critique (if I recall correctly) is that it takes a long time for the plot to get moving. But once it does, it's an entertaining read.
Old 01-28-10, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

I enjoyed Heart Shaped Box; it wasn't great literature by any means, but it was fun, quick, down and dirty little old-school horror novel. One of my favorite kinds of guilty pleasures.

Not sure what to make of Horns, though. From the description, it could be Hill's attempt at magic realism -- which I think might be tough for him to pull off at this point in his career -- or another little guilty pleasure like Heart Shaped Box.

"Ignatius Martin Perrish" - cute little joke in that name.
Old 02-04-10, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Heart Shaped Box was decent. I liked 20th Century Ghosts better. "My Father's Mask" is one of the creepiest stories I have ever read. I've probably read it 5 or 6 times and still get goosebumps by the ending.
Old 02-27-10, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Just finished Horns, which was the first JH story I've read.
I came away underwhelmed, and could see the ending coming from a mile off, but for some reason still couldn't put the book down.
Reminds me of his dad's writings in the past several years (since he "retired").
Anyone else read Horns yet?
Old 03-08-10, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by clappj
Just finished Horns, which was the first JH story I've read.
I came away underwhelmed, and could see the ending coming from a mile off, but for some reason still couldn't put the book down.
Reminds me of his dad's writings in the past several years (since he "retired").
Anyone else read Horns yet?
I finished it this weekend. I thought the first 3/4 were far better than the end.
Old 03-08-10, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gdrlv
I finished it this weekend. I thought the first 3/4 were far better than the end.
The last quarter felt like a Clive Barker story (I'm thinking particularly of Cabal and The Hellbound Heart) tacked onto a completely different book. It would've worked great if
Spoiler:
the first 3/4 of the book had delved into Ig becoming a devil instead of making the horns seem like a bizarre, almost Kafkaesque scenario.

I also have to wonder why no one ever
Spoiler:
suspected Lee of being the murderer. I mean, the guy doesn't even seem to be making an effort not to sound like a psychopath.
Old 03-14-10, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
The last quarter felt like a Clive Barker story (I'm thinking particularly of Cabal and The Hellbound Heart) tacked onto a completely different book. It would've worked great if
Spoiler:
the first 3/4 of the book had delved into Ig becoming a devil instead of making the horns seem like a bizarre, almost Kafkaesque scenario.

I also have to wonder why no one ever
Spoiler:
suspected Lee of being the murderer. I mean, the guy doesn't even seem to be making an effort not to sound like a psychopath.
Agreed with everything you said. I will say that I did find the Ig/Merrin love story to be unusually affecting...almost heartbreaking. I really cared about those two characters and their relationship. It's a shame the book ended up being so flawed.