Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Hobbit question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hobbit question

While I haven't read the book, I saw the cartoon of it the other day. Exactly why did Gandalf & the dwarves think Bilbo would make a great burgler? Bilbo is the furthest from a burgler as someone can be. It would be like picking a stockboy at Walmart to be your heart doctor.
Old 04-19-06, 03:14 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The dwarves didn't think Bilbo would make a great burglar. Gandalf - who'd left a sign on Bilbo's door for the dwarves suggesting that Bilbo was a burglar seeking work, said that Bilbo had been "chosen":
And here is our little Bilbo Baggins, the burglar, the chosen and selected burglar.
And elsewhere:
I have chosen Mr. Baggins and that ought to be enough for all of you. If I say that he is a Burglar, a Burglar he is. or will be when the time comes. There is a lot more in him than you guess, and a deal more than he has any idea about himself.
Old 04-19-06, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Didn't the selection of Bilbo have something to do with some his ancestors being a little odd. Well, odd by Hobbit standards, anyhow. Something about somebody named Bullroarer or the Took side of the family sticks in my mind.
Old 04-19-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why Gandalf chose Bilbo isn't exactly clear, but Hobbits in general are very stealthy and natural pickpockets and thieves.
Old 04-20-06, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
but Hobbits in general are very stealthy and natural pickpockets and thieves.
HOW RACIST!!!!!
Old 04-20-06, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Probably because "The Hobbit" was written as a children's book and JRRT wanted an awkward underdog to be the hero that the kids would identify with.

This was well before he later grafted "The Hobbit" onto his later "Lord of the Rings" epic.

Now what I want to know is that if the Witchking of Angmar is such a fucking badass -- he was tougher than a fifty cent steak in "Return of the King" and couldn't be killed by any man -- was such a pussy in "Fellowship of the Ring."

Yeah, Mr. Badass "gonna break the white wizard" and "eat the King of Rohan" got chased away from Weathertop by a guy with a burning stick. And not only him, but a bunch of his buds as well. "We have you now, Frodo! You won't get away this ti---OH FUCK! IT'S A HIPPIE SWINGING A BURNING STICK AROUND! RUN! RUN! GET AWAY WHILE YOU STILL CAN!"
Old 04-20-06, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Probably because "The Hobbit" was written as a children's book and JRRT wanted an awkward underdog to be the hero that the kids would identify with.

This was well before he later grafted "The Hobbit" onto his later "Lord of the Rings" epic.
yeah wasn't it a story JRR told to his kids at bedtime or something like that? Also, wasn't this the reason his now dead son was being such an ass about the movies?

Now what I want to know is that if the Witchking of Angmar is such a fucking badass -- he was tougher than a fifty cent steak in "Return of the King" and couldn't be killed by any man -- was such a pussy in "Fellowship of the Ring."

Yeah, Mr. Badass "gonna break the white wizard" and "eat the King of Rohan" got chased away from Weathertop by a guy with a burning stick. And not only him, but a bunch of his buds as well. "We have you now, Frodo! You won't get away this ti---OH FUCK! IT'S A HIPPIE SWINGING A BURNING STICK AROUND! RUN! RUN! GET AWAY WHILE YOU STILL CAN!"
Did it have something to do with who Aragorn(sp?) was?
Old 04-20-06, 06:08 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Arogorn might have had some sway over the "Black Riders", although it also wasn't made clear just why they turned away at Weathertop like they did. Frodo's will (resistance to the Witch King's blade) might also have had something to do with it. He was the master of The Ring after all...
Old 04-20-06, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I always thought that the Witch King kinda/sorta gained power as Mordor did. And Mordor was more powerful during RotK than it was in FotR.

And Hobbits are quiet as a mouse.
Old 04-20-06, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Originally Posted by B.A.
I always thought that the Witch King kinda/sorta gained power as Mordor did. And Mordor was more powerful during RotK than it was in FotR.
Or it was the rings.

IIRC, Sauron was in possession of the nine rings that controlled the Ringwraiths, so as his power increased, it's also possible that the Ringwraiths grew stronger with him.
Old 04-23-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Or it was the rings.

IIRC, Sauron was in possession of the nine rings that controlled the Ringwraiths, so as his power increased, it's also possible that the Ringwraiths grew stronger with him.
Sauron was in possession of the Nine in FOTR.
Old 04-29-06, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
I've always had the impression that the Ringwraiths and Sauron grow increasingly stronger as the books progress.
Old 05-10-06, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wasn't this topic on 'The Hobbit'?

I'm reading The Hobbit a second time (to my 10 year old). Technically, Gandolf stated in the book that he had been searching for some time in the West for a hero or a burglar but both were in short supply.

But, it isn't especially clear why Gandolf chose Bilblo him exactly but my guess is because Gandolf had some intuition that Bilbo should be on the journey (to find the ring but Gandolf probably did know exactly why). Just like later on (in LOTR) when Gandolf knew about Bilbo's ring and that it was important but not why or exactly what it was.

Last edited by Ejunior2; 05-10-06 at 06:06 PM.