Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Stephen King: "Cell" - 1/24/06

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-06, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Cube
The comment "Sorry, but you are 100% wrong." just isn't very nice. I basically took the comment as saying that I was a complete moron for comprehending the book the way I did. Also, the comment you made to me the other day made me feel insignificant. I'm a sensitive person.
Just another example of where the internet loses a lot in translation. He wan't being rude, just disagreeing, 100%.

I do find it a little ironic that you misinterpreted his post about your misinterpreting the ending of the book.

Standard Internet Disclaimer:
That was just a joke and not meant to be rude.
Old 03-03-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by The_Cube
The comment "Sorry, but you are 100% wrong." just isn't very nice. I basically took the comment as saying that I was a complete moron for comprehending the book the way I did.
Not at all. What I said was actually valid. It was in reference to one statement that you made and that I quoted in my reply:
Spoiler:
"I think the "fo-fo-you-you" is referencing the style of the zombie language such as the way the zombies write "KASHWAK=NO-FO" everywhere."
. I pointed out that your theory, as others also mentioned, is not true. In fact, your theory was "100% false" as provided by proof in the text. Simple as that.

Sorry if you get overly sensitive, but you are going to have to learn how to take criticism, sarcasm, and off-handed joke comments, especially when internet/forum memes are concerned. You'll soon learn that many of us posting have our own personalities and will make what seem like snide comments when we are in fact trying to get a laugh out of others. You'll note that I refrain from personal attacks. Just live and learn, I guess. Consider my thoughts on the matter finished.

Last edited by Morf; 03-03-06 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-07-06, 01:43 PM

Actually, the "fo-fo you-you" deal was reference to when his son was younger, if the phone rang he would say something like "is it fo-fo-fo me-me?" He's just speaking like his son used to...I highly doubt the theories presented above.
Old 03-07-06, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Tygan
Actually, the "fo-fo you-you" deal was reference to when his son was younger, if the phone rang he would say something like "is it fo-fo-fo me-me?" He's just speaking like his son used to...I highly doubt the theories presented above.
Spoiler:
You're right on that one.
Clay dialed 911 and said that to his son as held the phone to his (son's) ear.
End of story...literally.
Old 03-08-06, 09:20 AM

Received 112 Likes on 91 Posts
Variety is reporting that Dimension Films has aquired the rights to this and has tapped Eli Roth (Hostel) to direct.
Old 03-08-06, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=22663
Old 03-08-06, 07:33 PM

Saw that this morning...pretty funny considering that I finished the book last night. I thought it was a good read...but I think it might be difficult to adapt into a movie due to certain aspects of the plot.
Old 03-10-06, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just finished it and thought it was a pretty good "end of the world" read. I have no problem with the vague ending. It was actually refreshing to read a Stephen King novel thats under 700 pages. I finished the Cell in 6 days. Not too bad by my standards!

P.S. - I also love Kings "retirement"...We should be so productive when we retire.
Old 06-12-06, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just read this. Thought it was highly entertaining and moved at a very quick pace. I haven't read much King, but I loved this book. Sure the ending was a slight disappointment, but it worked well with the overall flow of the novel and I like that nothing was tied in a neat little bow.

Shocked at all the back and forth in this thread about the ending... clearly Clay handed the phone to Johnny and was just talking to him like back when he was younger. A great summer read and I'm definitely interested to see what Roth will do with the movie. I think he's done some good horror work, but I hope he can raise his game to do this one some justice.

MATT
I don't own a cell phone.
Old 06-12-06, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts
In regards to the discussion on the ending, Stephen has a message up on his site saying he thinks the final third of the book makes it pretty clear that things turn out ok for Clay's son...
Old 12-31-06, 04:03 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Just finished this. Thought it was a good read, and a fresh take on zombie stories. I'm not a big Eli Roth fan, but I must admit he's a good choice to direct the film (although I'd prefer to see this as an HBO mini-series).
Old 12-31-06, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Daveg27
I'm gonna give it a 2/5 simply because I know how much better King can do. I didn't mind the ending so much, and that says a lot coming from someone that has NEVER been satisfied with Kings endings. He's very good with concepts and imagery, just can't ever seem to wrap it up well.
I think you're being generous. 1/5. Stephen King simply cannot finish a story satisfactorily. Last King book I will ever read unless I'm infected by a cell phone virus and turned into a mindless zombie.
Old 01-18-07, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by crazyronin
I think you're being generous. 1/5. Stephen King simply cannot finish a story satisfactorily. Last King book I will ever read unless I'm infected by a cell phone virus and turned into a mindless zombie.
Wow, that's so harsh. I read this a few months back and loved it. I couldn't put it down at the time. The ending, was perfect. You know what happens and yet he didn't have to spell it out for you. I thought it mixed the whole pulse idea with zombies very well and it was a great and easy read.
Old 01-20-07, 06:06 PM

Just finished it today, Had the book for a while just never had the time to finish it, I liked it, The beginning was great. But the last half was so-so. I didnt care for the ending too much
Old 02-15-07, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

just finished the book. thought it was great. ending was good as well. don't most all zombie flicks end with a bit of uncertainty?
Old 02-16-07, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I read most of the book last May and then just realized today that I had never finished the final 60 pages of it. I really liked this book a lot. I do think that the first half was better, before they started delving into the whole "phone crazies can fly and levetate and use telepathy" stuff, but I still liked the book overall and am looking forward to the movie. I'm also happy that Eli Roth is not writing the script, but just directing it. It'll be good to see what he can do with someone else's material, since his stuff up to this point is just directing his own stories.
Old 02-17-07, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'd prefer to see this as an HBO mini-series.
There isn't enough to the story to warrant a mini-series. I think a decent film could be made of it, though.
Old 02-19-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts
Finally got this one read. Big SK fan, and I liked this one a lot. The ending did piss me off, but I'm one of those folks that likes a nice neat ending to my stories, though. :P The ending of the Dark Tower series pissed me off too, but I eventually kind of liked it after I thought about it for a while. May come around to this one too.
Old 02-21-07, 11:20 PM

the dates at the end?

Anyone have any idea what the dates meant at the very end? Someone mentioned the fo-fo thing above, and that helped clear that up. He was starting from scratch.

Thanks
Old 02-24-07, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,275 Likes on 874 Posts
Read this just about a month ago . . . my two big criticisms of King stories are generally they are too long (and thus convoluted) and the endings.

The length of this may have been just a tad too long (the levitating and stuff was feeling out of place, which indicates it is droning on), but definitely glad it was not longer. It would not generate enough material to make a mini-series. I'd like to take a stab at the screenplay though (yes, lit is heavy on interior thought/monologue, but I was working it out in my head as I read).

As has been mentioned, the end falls back to what I call "Old King Familiars" -- but I think different ones than what was mentioned. Of course, one of the "OKFs" is to blow it all up . . . but it highly reminded me of one of the most chilling endings I have ever read: "Darling, it said."

At first I kept harkening to the disaster of a film (and it's remake) "Pulse." Luckily that stigma was shed early on. I liked that this novel was a little more simplistic than previous King works. It had its flaws, but was definitely one of my favorite King books in a while (tried to begin Lisey's Story -- can't get going.)

Last edited by Abob Teff; 02-24-07 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-27-07, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,275 Likes on 874 Posts
Afterthought: Richard Dreyfus for Tom -- although that may be a thought 15-20 years too late.
Old 03-21-07, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 188 Likes on 130 Posts
Finally read this. I'm a bit disenfranchised with new King, but I have to say this is one of his newer books that I think is pretty good. I was worried that this would be a knock-off of 28 Days Later (and similar stories), but King took things in an original direction as the story went along. King still has a tendency to make his characters speak and act too cutesy at times, and seemingly can't resist going a whole book without slamming us with some profound mystical/religious significance. But overall solid stuff ... fast reading.

About the ending ... first about Clay's fate:
Spoiler:
don't be silly ... of course he didn't turn into a zombie! He dialed the number, put the phone to his kid's ear, in the hope of causing the "system re-install". What possible reason could he have for planning on becoming a zombie? And he's certainly well-aware of the right distance to keep from the phone to not accidentally hurt himself. It was baby talk he saying ... not zombie talk. You guys can argue all you want for the other position, but you'd just be wrong.

about the ending proper (and explanations):
Spoiler:
I was ok with it. As pointed out, zombie stories generally have ambiguous endings anyway. Like the Spielberg WotW, King wanted to show the apocalypse from the vantage point of ordinary people. That means not being filled in on the big picture. Yeah, it gets you thinking what the source of the Pulse was. Terrorists? A foreign government? Experiment gone wrong? Alien invasion? Surprised aliens weren't mentioned at all ... that was the first thing I thought of. The Pulse had high-tech alien invasion written all over it (especially with the reprogramming stuff). Worms in the program has deus ex machina written all over it (another flaw that King repeatedly has trouble with). But it didn't seem as bad as other books. At least he planted the worm stuff throughout the book. And it is adapted from an accepted deus ex machina ending from a classic - Welle's WotW. Though it seemed a bit silly to me how easily the gang was able to destroy the Raggedy Man and his flock. King already established how the phoners were smarter about putting guards around their "sleeping" flocks. But they neglect to do something similar for the most dangerous "normals" around the most critical flock? I didn't buy that - classic thriller stupidity of the brilliant villains acting like morons at just the right moment for the good guys to pull a victory out of nowhere.
Old 08-22-07, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finished this recently and I have to say I absolutely loved the book. The first half was fantastic, with the latter half of the book falling a bit, but still managing to keep my interest. Maybe it wasn't the deepest story ever, but I was thoroughly entertained by this.

The first quarter of the book, with the outbreak and Clay forming his party and seeking shelter, rivaled any "zombie" books for sheer pulse pounding action/tense scenes I've ever read. It was unrelenting.

I did however have 2 problems.

The ending:

Spoiler:

This I hated. When Clay actually found his son, this whole section took the book down a few solid notches for me. If King wanted to be ambiguous about the ending, I would have much preferred he end the book right when Clay parts with Jordan and Tom. That would have been much more satisfying for me.

The other problem I had, and this is just a personal one, was his killing off Alice. She was such a neat character, that I wish she could have stuck around to the end.

I'm another reader who is new to King, so I too can't wait to dig into the older stuff. Everything I've read so far has been really enjoyable.
Old 08-22-07, 05:38 PM

Yeah i think the last half was kind of weak, still was interesting, but the first half was great.
Old 08-29-07, 02:13 PM

I just finished this book today. while i haven't read much king i am a "zombie" fan. This was an interesting take on the genre. I found it to be a bit dragged out for the last half but overall i enjoyed it. I would be interested in seeing it turned into a movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.