Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Superhero Graphic Novels...where to start?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-05, 04:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

When I was a kid, I loved X-Men (Wolverine especially), but never seriously delved into the whole world and that was that. Even though I love Superman and like Batman, I seem to sway more towards the Marvel universe, rather than DC.

I just read a snippet on Watchmen (publisher?) and Identity Crisis (DC) in "Entertainment Weekly" and they seem fascinating. I checked them out briefly at Barnes and Noble. I didn't give either a hard look, just casual.

I know Watchmen are unknown superheroes (at least to me) and Identity Crisis is mostly the main and secondary DC players which seems interesting and I did gravitate slightly more to it (reading the first few pages anyway).

So with all them out there, including the above, where should I start or end if I just want to pick one up for a good, interesting read? Which of the above is better if you can even compare?

Thanks for any and all help...
Old 11-04-05, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Watchmen by a mile.
Old 11-04-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you had to pick one then watchmen

if you had to pick two then watchmen and dark knight returns
Old 11-04-05, 07:22 PM

Out of what you mentioned, Watchmen.

If you're interested in the X-Men, and don't mind black and white reprints of material that was originally printed in color, consider the first couple of Essential X-Men books. Marvel's also released several volumes of Essential Wolverine.
Old 11-05-05, 11:51 AM

I didn't just want a pick from those two, kinda in general...best of what's out there that is perhaps just one big edition...
Old 11-05-05, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by lukewarmwater
if you had to pick one then watchmen

if you had to pick two then watchmen and dark knight returns
i picked both of these up today. i think i will start with Dark Knight Returns. I loved "Sin City" the movie, so I think Frank Miller gets first dibs.

Here goes my first foray into the graphic novel milieu. thanks for the suggestions.

i think next will have to be something X-Men...any recommendations on novel similar to the ones above?
Old 11-05-05, 02:32 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Your best bet for X-Men is to look for a collection called "The Dark Phoenix Saga." It's not quite as grown-up as either Watchmen or Dark Knight Returns, but it's definitely one of the high points of superhero comics.
Old 11-05-05, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Phenoix saga is good if you can ignore the aliens and space ship shit. Otherwise for xmen pick up days of future past.
Old 11-05-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
God Loves, Man Kills is a great X-Men GN, part of which the story from X-Men 2 was derived from.
Old 11-05-05, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just finished reading Watchmen last night. Absolutely superb! Go get it now, if you haven't already I read Batman Year One today at work (very slow day!), which was also excellent, if brief. Reading Dark Night Returns now, which I'm liking a LOT so far, though I'm not that far into it (Batman has just made his return).

I orderd The Long Halloween and V for Vendetta from Amazon today as well... if you can't tell, I'm also just getting into the graphic novel thing (the comic that came with Batman Begins piqued my interest)
Old 11-06-05, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Personally, I advise people to read other graphic novels first before ever touching Watchmen.

Why? Because Watchmen was about taking apart the superhero myth. You really have to know it before you start to enjoy it to its fullest. To really get how powerful and how much of an impact that book made.
Old 11-06-05, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Watchmen is good, but as Jackskeleton mentioned, it's not a great beginning point.

I think the Batman character has some of the best graphic novels out there. I'd recommend The Dark Knight Returns, The Long Halloween, The Killing Joke, Arkham Asylum, and World's Finest (Batman and Superman).
Old 11-06-05, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Personally, I advise people to read other graphic novels first before ever touching Watchmen.

Why? Because Watchmen was about taking apart the superhero myth. You really have to know it before you start to enjoy it to its fullest. To really get how powerful and how much of an impact that book made.
that is why i am starting with DKR. it seems more conduscive to a jumping off point. after that, i will get into Watchmen. i don't know much either way of the mythology so i don't think i will be debunking too much of the little knowledge i have.
Old 11-06-05, 04:48 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Bus
Watchmen is good, but as Jackskeleton mentioned, it's not a great beginning point.

I think the Batman character has some of the best graphic novels out there. I'd recommend The Dark Knight Returns, The Long Halloween, The Killing Joke, Arkham Asylum, and World's Finest (Batman and Superman).
You're saying Watchmen isn't good for new readers, but you're recommending Arkham Assylum?

Personally, I think Watchmen is perfectly accessible to a reader new to superhero comics, but I can see why some would feel otherwise.

Which book do you mean by "World's Finest?" Is that the one by Steve Rude involving the orphanage halfway between Metropolis and Gotham?
Old 11-06-05, 09:06 PM

I recommend Rick Veitch's Bratpack and Maximortal. Not for everyone but they are fun reads.

For a lighter, fun, superhero book I recommend Aaron Williams PS238. The story of superhero children in grade school.
Old 11-07-05, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also think year one is really great. Not the dense read and better art then DKR. Shorter too. And batman in year one is more of a hero then the psycho he is in dkr.
Old 11-07-05, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Watchmen is good. I'd also recommend Authority Vol. 1 & 2 as well as Planetary.

For more mainstream superheroes, try Daredevil Visionaries - Frank Miller Vols 1 - 3 and Ultimate Spider-Man.

While not quite "superhero" you should also give V for Vendetta a spin.

And my personal favorite "graphic novel", which has no superheroes whatsoever, Blankets.
Old 11-07-05, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Batman Year One
Batman Hush
Batman The Long Halloween
Batman Dark Victory
Batman Knigtfall

To Name a few good Batman books...
Old 11-07-05, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'll also toss in my support for "Batman: The Long Halloween". Wonderful book all around! The sequal, "Dark Victory", was also enjoyable, but the first beats it easy.

If you ever want to venture outside of superheroes, I'd highly recommend the trades for "Preacher", a DC/Vertigo title. Pick up the first and see what you think!
Old 11-07-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
A year ago I was kind of like you. I loved superheroes as a kid (Superman, Batman, Spiderman being my favorites). In the early-mid 90s "Sandman" got me into adult-oriented comics, but I stayed away from the superhero stuff (a lot of Vertigo and independents). But I got a hankering for some superhero stuff (maybe enjoyment of the Justice League tv show) and tried some out.

People have already covered Batman well here -- "Dark Knight Returns", "Year One", "Long Halloween", "Dark Victory" (among others) are great ones to check out.

Superman -- no one's given you suggestions for him yet. There's the 3 volume mega-event where Superman got killed (don't worry, that's not really a spoiler since the title of one book gives it away -- and it's not like he stays dead): "Death of Superman", "World Without a Superman", "Return of Superman". Alan Moore wrote 2 of my favorite Superman stories: "What Ever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" and "For the Man Who Has Everything". I don't think they're in print now -- though FTMWHE is included in "The Greatest Superman Stories Ever Told" which Amazon booksellers list for $5 used. I'm not up on more recent solo Superman stuff.

Justice League -- I liked some of the new Justice League. You've got all the DC heavy hitters (well, sometimes). I liked Grant Morrison's run ("Rock of Ages" being my favorite -- an epic mind-bending story with an incredibly scary Darkseid, though I liked them all). Mark Waid was also very good on JLA (my favorite story being "Divided We Fall", where Ra's al Ghul uses Batman's own plans for taking out the Justice League). Things started going downhill when Joe Kelly took over, and the bottom dropped out when Chuck Austen started writing. JLA gets a little confusing when the writers are forced to incorporate complicated continuity (like Superman turning into an energy being, Wonder Woman dying/replaced by mother/turning into god, Aquaman and Green Lantern dying/replaced/resurrected, and similar gobbledygook) but I still enjoyed things.

"Kingdom Come" is a strong, beautifully drawn mega-sized DC superhero story. "Watchman", as others have commented, is a masterpiece of superhero literature, and is a must-read. Alan Moore's "Miracleman" is one of my favorite superhero stories. It was one of the first superhero deconstructions (Moore did "Watchman" several years later) and was really groundbreaking as far as adult-aimed comics were concerned. Funny, touching, exciting, sad, profound, terrifying -- "Miracleman" covers all bases. Unfortunately, I think the last volume is OOP and going for crazy money now. "Identity Crisis" may actually work better for a more casual fan, since some events and characterizations infuriated fans. Wait for the inevitable TPB.

I'm not much of a Marvel guy. One Marvel book I have been reading is "Ultimate Spiderman", which I've been enjoying. The Ultimate series of titles reboots the characters, so there's no complicated 40 years of backstory to deal with. USM has a very cinematic style and pacing.
Old 11-07-05, 12:13 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by brainee
Alan Moore wrote 2 of my favorite Superman stories: "What Ever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" and "For the Man Who Has Everything". I don't think they're in print now -- though FTMWHE is included in "The Greatest Superman Stories Ever Told" which Amazon booksellers list for $5 used. I'm not up on more recent solo Superman stuff.
There's a collection of all of Moore's DC Universe stories (not counting his run on Swamp Thing) coming soon. It'll be well worth picking up. The contents:
  • SUPERMAN ANNUAL #11: "For the Man Who Has Everything"
    Art and cover: Dave Gibbons
  • DETECTIVE COMICS #549: "Night Olympics" Part One
    Art: Klaus Janson
  • DETECTIVE COMICS #550: "Night Olympics" Part Two
    Art: Klaus Janson
  • GREEN LANTERN #188: "Mogo Doesn't Socializse"
    Art: Dave Gibbons
  • VIGILANTE #17: "Father's Day" Part One
    Cover: Paris Cullins & Rick Magyar
    Art: Jim Baikie
  • VIGILANTE #18: "Father's Day" Part Two
    Art and cover: Jim Baikie
  • THE OMEGA MEN #26: "Brief Lives"
    Art: Kevin O'Neill
  • THE OMEGA MEN #27: "A Man's World"
    Art: Paris Cullins & Rick Magyar
  • DC COMICS PRESENTS #85: "The Jungle Line"
    Art: Rick Veitch & Al Williamson
    Cover: Rick Veitch
  • TALES OF THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS ANNUAL #2: "Tygers"
    Artist: Kevin O'Neill
  • SUPERMAN #423: "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" Part One
    Art: Curt Swan & George Pérez
    Cover: Curt Swan & Murphy Anderson
  • ACTION COMICS #583: "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" Part Two
    Art: Curt Swan & Kurt Schaffenberger
    Cover: Curt Swan & Murphy Anderson
  • SECRET ORIGINS #10: "Footsteps"
    Art: Joe Orlando
    Cover: Jim Aparo
  • TALES OF THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS ANNUAL #3: "In Blackest Night"
    Art: Bill Willingham & Terry Austin
  • BATMAN ANNUAL #11: "Mortal Clay"
    Art: George Freeman
    Cover: John Byrne
  • BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE
    Art: Brian Bolland

There's a version of this TPB out now, but it doesn't include Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow or Killing Joke, but I would recommend waiting until January when this new TPB comes out because those two stories are worth having.
Old 11-07-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a lot of those Moore stories already and I'm even ordering that collection.

$9.99 at DCBS for those who order there.
Old 11-07-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
There's a collection of all of Moore's DC Universe stories (not counting his run on Swamp Thing) coming soon. It'll be well worth picking up.
Holy superhero collections, Batman! That new TPB will be tempting for me too (even though I have a number of the stories). With the new version, I'd say this is a must-buy (if for the 2 classic Superman stories and "Killing Joke", which has been out of print).
Old 11-07-05, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Have they reprinted the Jim Shooter penned Legion of Super-Heroes stories in those hardcover collections?
Old 11-07-05, 09:26 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Patman
Have they reprinted the Jim Shooter penned Legion of Super-Heroes stories in those hardcover collections?
All of the stuff he did as a teenager in Adventure and Action Comics is reprinted in the Archives (Vol. 6-9, I think). Volume 12 reprints the stories he did for Legion when he got back into comics, but I'm not entirely certain if it includes all of his second run or just the begining of it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.