Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Dean Koontz?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-05, 09:55 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Dean Koontz?

I recently started getting into his work. Any members here have some suggestions as to which of his books I should read next?
Old 10-20-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked Velocity a lot.
Old 10-20-05, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I enjoyed Velocity, one of my favorites is The Watchers, Odd Thomas was also good.
Old 10-21-05, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Must Read:
Watchers
Dark Rivers of the Heart
Intensity
False Memory
Whispers
Dragon Tears

Worthwhile:
The Bad Place
Lightning
Servants of Twilight
Strangers

Avoid:
Sole Survivor
From the Corner of His Eye (great 1st half, falls apart)
(haven't read The Taking, but all I know who've read it hated it)

Can't wait to read Velocity in paperback. Sounds great.
Old 10-21-05, 07:48 AM

I'll second False Memory and Odd Thomas. Odd Thomas is getting a sequel next month, so you might want to start there.

And I must admit to being one of the few who really loved The Taking. I found the atmosphere and scenario quite chilling. The characterization is not great and it does overuse the traumatic past/noble dog themes that Koontz relies on too often. And there is a twist at the end that redefines the nature of the threat you might love or you might hate (I loved it).
Old 10-21-05, 09:20 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I'm getting into Koontz as well (slowly, but surely though). I have a ton of his paperbacks (picked up a bunch at a garage sale for a dime a piece).

I've heard that The Face is a must-read. I definitely plan on checking out Odd Thomas because the sequel Forever Odd comes out next month.

I'm currently reading Koontz' Frankenstein book two.
Old 10-21-05, 09:31 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Koontz has always been very difficult for me to appreciate (although I've tried). The only titles I remember enjoying were The Watchers and Midnight.
Old 10-21-05, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Phantoms, Strangers, Lightning, Key to Midnight.

The Bad Place was awesome. It was one of the first Koontz books I had read, and the way he wrote the main characters, you would swear that there had been other books about them before.
Old 10-21-05, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Loved:

Dark Rivers of the Heart (my favorite)
Lightning
Midnight
Dragon Tears
The Bad Place
Mr. Murder
Phantoms

and his best book in nine years:

Life Expectancy

Many other very good ones; those are just his best, IMO.
Old 10-21-05, 05:31 PM

Intensity was pretty good. As was Dragon Tears and Servants of Twighlight.

Tick Tock was not very good. Save that till last
Old 10-21-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Life Expectancy comes out in paperback in a week or two if I'm not mistaken. Definitely picking it up!

Also, I've really enjoyed reading the Frankenstein novels...juicy, noir thrillers...just the way I like 'em!
Old 10-22-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Life Expectancy is out imminently in paperback and it's a terrific book. (Check out the big ole blurb on the back from me. )

Koontz' other recent books have been wonderful, too, with Odd Thomas being a particular favorite of mine. The sequel is out in hardcover soon. I also gave rave reviews to The Face and Velocity.

I disagree with the poster who recommended avoiding From the Corner of His Eye, which is long but worthwhile, and The Taking, which is much shorter, but also very powerful. The latter, in particular, is a delight.

Really, I don't think I've read a book of his that I didn't care for, although there are some that I didn't try because they didn't look interesting to me. I think he's a brilliant writer, one of the best working today. Nearly all of his work is well worth reading.

Last edited by djmont; 10-23-05 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-23-05, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
ive read a few koontz books
dragon tears stands out, from the ones Ive read
Old 10-23-05, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Some of my personal favorites are:
Watchers
Lightning
Frankenstein 1 & 2
Cold Fire
Odd Thomas
Fear Nothing
Seize The Night
Old 10-24-05, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah Koontz can put out some great stuff and then turn around screw you over. I was reading some book about a computer that trapped a lady in her house and just couldn't get through it. The pain was just to great. The best one I read I was Dragon Tears and one about a guy that can tell when people are about to die but I forgot the name.
Old 10-25-05, 05:43 AM

That first book you're referring to is Demon Seed, which he wrote back in the 1970s. There was even a fairly prominent movie made out of it (probably the biggest one made for one of his books- he hasn't had King's success in that area) with Julie Christie that just came out on DVD. That one never looked too good to me- its basically about a woman being raped by her husband's computer and giving birth.
Old 10-25-05, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ms. M
That first book you're referring to is Demon Seed, which he wrote back in the 1970s. There was even a fairly prominent movie made out of it (probably the biggest one made for one of his books- he hasn't had King's success in that area) with Julie Christie that just came out on DVD. That one never looked too good to me- its basically about a woman being raped by her husband's computer and giving birth.
Koontz himself admitted he cringed many times when he went back and reread the book he wrote in 1973. A lot had to do with the portrayal of the computer. He was going to do a light revision and then realized he needed to pretty much rewrite the whole thing which he did in 1997. While it will never be considered one of his classics, the revised edition is a quick, entertaining read.
Old 10-27-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I finished the new book, Forever Odd, last night. It's not as good as the first one, but still very enjoyable. Reminds me of David Morrell's superb Creepers in a large part of the plot.

I'd definitely recommend it, but you should make sure you've read Odd Thomas first. Otherwise, you won't get the full appreciation of the story.
Old 10-29-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
The first Koontz book I read was The Bad Place, which I love (reread several times). I've read about 6 or 7 other Koontz books, but the only ones that really stood out for me were Lightning, and The Taking (which I just recently read). I would recommend those 3 at least.
Old 10-29-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Intensity (and watch the miniseries as well if you get a chance)
Old 10-30-05, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Velocity and Odd Thomas are GREAT! The Taking however was just..meh.
Old 10-30-05, 05:23 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I just picked up a bunch of his books on Ebay for cheap.
Old 11-01-05, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
The Door to December is one of my favorites. It's about a guy using his daugther to test what happens to long exposures to sensory deprivation chambers.
Old 11-01-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I rate Phantoms, Dark Rivers of the Heart, Twilight Eyes, Watchers, Lightning, Shadowfires, Chase, The Bad Place and Whispers as among his best. Some of his others I found rather too sugary silly for the taste I'd already acquired. I rather liked Shatter - short and sweet. Intensity was a real thrill. Koontz writes real neat, lose yourself in top notch escapism - imho. Strangers - I liked that as well.

False Memory - I didn't finish so I can't offer a proper crit. From the corner of his eye - I could not finish. Didn't stop me from admiring the novelist, though.

Phantoms, I believe, is one of the best horror novels out there. It was Phantoms that got me into DRK.

Steve
Old 11-01-05, 05:13 PM

If you are a fan of Stoker's Dracula, you might like Frankenstein 1 & 2. I found them entertaining and there are little nods to Stoker and the classic Universal movies in there as well. They're my first real exposure to Koontz.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.