Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Hardcover vs Paperbacks

Old 08-13-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hardcover vs Paperbacks

Is there a preference...i would think hardcover would be more enjoyable to read...more to hold on-to....

im a newbie so be gentle

buy hardcover whenever possible?
Old 08-13-05, 03:46 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Hardbacks ONLY if you are a collector and intend to treat them like newborn children. Paperbacks for every other kind of reader. And as far as readability is concerned, I personally find paperbacks much easier to handle than bulky, heavy, unweildy hardbacks.

Last edited by Filmmaker; 08-13-05 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-13-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I prefer paperbacks for the portability factor.
Old 08-13-05, 04:29 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by tommy28
[....]im a newbie [....]
In deference to your newbie status [], please take these links with my compliments:
Old 08-13-05, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

paperbacks because they're cheaper.
Old 08-13-05, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Paperbacks because I don't feel so bad when I drop them in the tub.
Old 08-14-05, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Either. Hardbacks if it's something I'm really waiting for since I don't want to wait forever. Paperbacks if I'm just looking for something to read, or if I'm going to be traveling.

Cost is not that big a factor. Paperbacks tend to be around $8 nowadays. You can usually get the hardcover around $15 - 16 (although it's more for less popular books since they don't get as deeply discounted).
Old 08-14-05, 04:55 AM

Hardback to sit on my shelf, paperback to read and throw around.
Old 08-14-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like hardbacks because the words have a bit more space between them on the page and I enjoy the heft of the book, but I'll take either one.
Old 08-14-05, 09:54 AM

Pretty much the only hardback I buy anymore is the latest Alex Delaware book by Jonathan Kellerman (though I'll wait a few weeks before buying it new because I've been pretty successful in finding a used copy with a week or two of its release); otherwise paperback
Old 08-14-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I prefer reading paperbacks,not as bulky and cheaper to boot.
Old 08-14-05, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

While I prefer the feel and sturdiness of hardbacks, especially for reading in bed, paperbacks are great for their portability. Basically, I buy hardbacks of things I know I am going to want to keep and re-read often, such as Art books and classics. Everything else, I get in whatever form I find it second hand and cheap.

I let the library keep most of my books for me Also, I have really been getting into books on tape, because I can "read" them while doing housework or drawing.

It's interesting how different some books are when listened to. For instance, suspense novels, I tend to read faster in the "good" parts, because I want to find out what happens next. On tape you can only listen at the pace of the reader, and not rush ahead.
Old 08-14-05, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
...second hand and cheap.
This is my favorite way to buy a lot of the time. If it's a favorite author I'll get the HC when it comes out (if there is one). I've been trying new genres & authors lately. For these it's Half-Price-Books all the way. Lot's of $1 HC's in the clearance section & most other HC's are $5-$7. PB's are half cover if not on clearance. I do try to buy new if it's an author I like as I want to support the author & see them write more books.
Old 08-14-05, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hardcover, unless the price discrepancy is too great (more than few dollars). I buy most of my books through Amazon z-Shops, and I get some pretty good deals. I just bought a perfect hardcover of a book I was looking for for 1 cent. Of the last, say, 8 books I've bought, half of them have been hardcover.
Old 08-15-05, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Depends. If it's a book i really enjoy/love, then i'll prefer to have a nice hardback edition. For books that are just mildly interesting, i'd rather spend less money and have a book that i'm less worried about damaging.
Old 08-18-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I prefer reading paperbacks,not as bulky and cheaper to boot.

Slightly off topic, but how long after a hardcover book is released does the paperback version come out?
Old 08-18-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by yashan
Slightly off topic, but how long after a hardcover book is released does the paperback version come out?
6 months to never.

For most popular fiction it generally seems to be about a year, unless the HC is still selling well. For instance The Da Vinci Code came out in March of '03 in hardcover and still has no paperback.
Old 08-18-05, 07:01 PM
Retired

I generally get paperbacks. They're cheaper and easier to hold to read and much more portable.

I only get hardbacks if it's something I want to read ASAP or it's one of my favorites that I know I'll read several times over the years.

I'm not a collector so I don't care about looks.
Old 08-19-05, 09:55 AM

I get hardcovers if I really want the book, collectable paperbacks (exactly the same size as a hardcover, but in paperback) in books that I sorta want to read and standard paperbacks for all others and second hand books.

I'm not fussy about the size of a book, just the price. It's pretty hard to justify AUD$30 for a hardcover when I can buy it second hand for <$10 a few months down the track.
Old 08-20-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Scarecrow
...The Da Vinci Code came out in March of '03 in hardcover and still has no paperback.
Actually it's been out in paperback for a while in other countries, just not in North America.

I seemed to have been the last person in the US to have read that book, and after all that time I wasn't going to buy a hardback so I started looking into it. I went so far as to seriously consider importing the paperback from the UK out of spite, 'cause I was annoyed they were holding back on it for us. I wound up borrowing a copy from someone after all that, and after reading it I was glad I didn't spend any money on it all.
Old 08-20-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by yashan

Oh my gawd it can take for--ever. I've been reading the new DUNE prequels and i've been waiting for "The Battle of Corrin", which came out a year or so ago. Well, the PB is finally coming out at the end of August. It doesn't help when you really want to read the book but you're like me, too cheap to plunk $25 on a hardcover when chances are you'll only read it once.
Old 08-20-05, 12:08 PM
ala

I buy both, I'm a collector as well therefore I tend to go right for the hardcovers - but sometimes get paperback as not everything has a hardcover version. If I know I'll be reading the book a lot, I'll get both versions to keep the hardcover in good condition
Old 08-29-05, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Scarecrow
This is my favorite way to buy a lot of the time. If it's a favorite author I'll get the HC when it comes out (if there is one). I've been trying new genres & authors lately. For these it's Half-Price-Books all the way. Lot's of $1 HC's in the clearance section & most other HC's are $5-$7. PB's are half cover if not on clearance. I do try to buy new if it's an author I like as I want to support the author & see them write more books.

That is the way that I go. Otherwise, I check them out from the library.
Old 08-30-05, 02:38 PM

Hardcover only if I can't wait or deeply discounted at Media Play.
Old 08-30-05, 02:49 PM

I like hardcover for the durability. But I like paperback because it's cheaper.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.