Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Reader looking to start reading LORD OF THE RINGS

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-05, 05:42 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reader looking to start reading LORD OF THE RINGS

I've read the Hobbit, and I tried reading Fellowship of the Ring, but it seemed like there was so much backstory I was missing. I still don't get what they mean when they talk about the "third age" and stuff like that. I've heard about the Similitarian, is that a good book to start with? Someone point me in the right direction. Thanks.
Old 05-22-05, 10:27 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

The Silmarillion is backstory that should (in general) only be read after Lord of the Rings. It's really dense and would probably disuade you from ever starting LOTR. My advice is to go ahead and read LOTR. Notice the details (like the Third Age, etc), but don't dwell on them. You'll begin to see more and more connections as you read more and more details and stories. Then, the Silmarillion will make a lot more sense. If you decide to read LOTR again, you'll notice a lot more historical points.
Old 05-23-05, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Well said Stoney.
Old 05-23-05, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't.
Old 05-23-05, 01:10 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Bible might be easier to deconstruct than THE SILMARILLION...just take these references at face value and keep plugging away at FELLOWSHIP...
Old 05-23-05, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
The Bible might be easier to deconstruct than THE SILMARILLION

No Doubt
Old 05-23-05, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Things like "the Third Age" are there to give you the idea that the story is epic and legendary. So just realize that and keep going.

DON'T read Silmarillion first. As others have said, that's like reading the Bible while LOTR would be about something like Noah's ark and the flood.
Old 05-24-05, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just keep chipping away at Fellowship ... the momentum of the story starts to pick up about half-way through.
Old 05-24-05, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree - there's lots of stuff that I didn't pay attention to in terms of backstory, lineage, languages, appendices, etc. -- but I still read the trilogy and loved it! Just started reading it again actually (one of maybe 3 books I've done that with )
Old 05-24-05, 12:31 PM

Keep going with it!! Each book in the trilogy has it's slow parts!! The last time I read the books through I skipped over any "singing" parts! I know some of you like them but the story went a bit faster for me by skipping these "filler" parts (anyone who likes them PLEASE don't take offense!!)

AND If you are going to read the Simarrillion, read it last!

Take care all!!
Old 05-24-05, 02:54 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep going, it really picks up after the first 200 or so pages IMO.

I've read it 3 times sine 2001, and read the appendices and The Silmarillion this most recent time.

BTW, the Third Age is the present age in the book. If I remember exactly correctly, it goes from when Isildur cuts the ring from Sauron's Finger, until the end of LOTR when the 4th age begins.
Old 05-27-05, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle

BTW, the Third Age is the present age in the book. If I remember exactly correctly, it goes from when Isildur cuts the ring from Sauron's Finger, until the end of LOTR when the 4th age begins.

Does that mean the 4th Age is the end of Elf Folk and Wizards? If so, then why did Hobbits stay around? Or am I reading too much into this?
Old 05-27-05, 01:12 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, the 4th age is the age of men.

Not sure why hobbits stick around, but I think it is mentioned that they were rarely seen by men in the 4th age and eventually dissappeared.

The same question could be asked about the Dwarves as well.

I guess maybe instead of looking at it as the age of men, you could look at it as the age of mortals--men, dwarves and hobbits. And that the immortals--elves and wizards--left middle earth.
Old 05-27-05, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Yes, the 4th age is the age of men.

Not sure why hobbits stick around, but I think it is mentioned that they were rarely seen by men in the 4th age and eventually dissappeared.

The same question could be asked about the Dwarves as well.

I guess maybe instead of looking at it as the age of men, you could look at it as the age of mortals--men, dwarves and hobbits. And that the immortals--elves and wizards--left middle earth.

That's a great way to look at it.
Old 05-28-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
There's a tremendous amount of backstory to the Lord of the Rings...Tolkien constructed a backstory for every race and how they were interconnected (much of it present in the Silmarillion). The backstory is not necessary to appreciate Lord of the Rings, especially since a lot of it is revealed during the 6 parts of the story. LOTR is supposed to feel like you were dropped 'in media res' (or in the middle of things) just as the main characters Frodo and Sam are.

I do NOT recommend reading the Silmarillion first...it is often a tough read for even the most die-hard LOTR fan and really is best served by being familiar with the story from the Hobbit and LOTR I think.

The slowest parts of the whole story occur in the forest of Tom Bombadil in my opinion....it took me a couple tries to get through that section when I was 12, but then I whipped through the rest of the story.

I've read the whole thing probably 4 times and it does get better each time, the use of language is outstanding also...if you read it the first time, look at the story but if you go back for another read, pay close attention to Tolkien's use of language.

Michael
Old 05-31-05, 05:22 PM

I wonder if someone would be willing to tackle a thorough annotated version of LOTR?

It'd be nice for any lay reader to understand all the backstories and references without turning it into a major research project. I know there's the Silmarillion and the numerous books by Christopher Tolkien but it'd sure make it a lot easier for everyone to appreciate Tolkien's world. People could always go on to read more if interested.