Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Barnes And Noble Ultimate Spider Man HC

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-05, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Barnes And Noble Ultimate Spider Man HC

Huge book! It has the first 39 issues or something? I just got this over the weekend for 30% off. Does anyone know if they might be doing some more of these? I know Marvel has smaller hard covers in comic shops.
Old 05-10-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
I love this book... collects the first three or so TPBs. The only thing is, it's huge, and hard to just pick up and read because of the bulkiness. Got it on clearance at B&N too.

B&N seems to do these hardcover collections for just a single volume: I believe they also released hardcovers for just volume 1 of both Trigun and Akira. You can, however, get the normal Marvel hardcovers, which are about a third of the massive volume. I believe you can pick up volume 4, but I'm not entirely sure. For some weird reason, marvel hardcovers are remarkably cheap, usually only slightly more than the separate softcover TPBs.
Old 05-10-05, 06:44 PM

I found www.dcbservice.com to have incredibly cheap for hardcovers too. I order Batman Hush for $27 and change.

Maybe B and N does these big ones as a seasonal thing? I know it's big and hard to read, but damn if it doesn't look cool.
Old 05-10-05, 10:23 PM

The B&N exclusive Ult Spidey HC contains the first three HCs from the Ult Spidey line (about six of the TPBs). Also, the Marvel HCs usually range from $20-$35, though some are more (Marvels is $50), so depending on which you choose, the HCs are quite a bit more than the TPBs.

The Marvel HCs in comic shops are smaller - the B&N Exclusive Ult Spidey collection is an exception (and the only one I know of for the Marvel line) as it collects three of the HCs into one massive volume.
Old 05-11-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For example (using list prices seen on amazon)
Ultimate Spiderman Paperback volume 3: 17.99
USM Paperback volume 4: 14.99

USM Hardcover volume 2 (collecting Paperbacks 3 and 4): 29.99

This is also why the BN collection is such a steal: it has paperbacks 1-6 or hardcovers 1-3, which should be around 90 bucks.

On the surface, the hardcovers look like a lot more, but recently they've been encompassing multiple softcovers, and the prices have been similar or even cheaper. I know that's why I bought the New X-men hardcovers even though I already had a couple of softcover volumes...

On a side note, the regular marvel softcovers seem to be getting tiny (3-4 issues) and expensive (sometimes more than the monthlies). Weird.
Old 05-12-05, 04:33 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I could be wrong, but looking at some of the upcoming solicits, it looks like Marvel's upping there hc prices. It's really surprising that they kept them so cheap for so long.
Old 05-12-05, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't have a Previews in front of me (or Marvel select, or whatever it's called)... which titles? The old, archival ones have always been expensive: the Marvel masterworks and such. The ones reprinting recent story arcs have traditionally been cheaper... especially the Ultimate titles. I think the Ultimate FF HC was just solicited last month or so, and it was still relatively cheap.
Old 05-13-05, 12:05 AM

For Marvel, it depends on the hardcover. A lot of the smaller arcs (5-6 issues like Phoenix Endsong, the recent Wolverine arc, Loki) are $20 in HC, 8 issues or so are $25 (like Avengers Assembled), and the larger arcs or those with a lot of extras are $30 (Supreme Power, Ult Spidey). I think there have only been a few at $35 and only one at $50 (Marvels) that I can recall...the Marvel Masterworks line is different beast, though, those have always been around $50 each.
Old 06-07-05, 11:48 AM

http://www.newsarama.com/wwphilly05/.../WWPhilUlt.htm

Looks like there will be an Ultimate X men HC this year. Pretty cool, but I wish they continued Spidey.
Old 06-07-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I also picked up the Ultimate Spider-Man Collection HC.I have been holding off from buying Vol's 4 & 5 because i would rather pick get them collected together like 1-3 if they keep doing that.
Old 06-07-05, 01:22 PM

how much are they selling for at B&N?
Old 06-07-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by jorak
how much are they selling for at B&N?
It's $35 ,even cheaper than that if you have one of their discount cards.
Old 06-07-05, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They seem to only do volume 1, for whatever reason. They've done one volume of Trigun and Akira, for instance.
Old 06-07-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

actually, the UXM book turned out to be a miscommunication going around the convention that got put on the net so it isn't gonna happen.
Old 06-07-05, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I'll be picking this up as well, I already have the Spidey one and these are just great deals if you don't buy the comics every month.
Old 06-08-05, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kevin75
actually, the UXM book turned out to be a miscommunication going around the convention that got put on the net so it isn't gonna happen.
Where did you get this info? Newsarama has not corrected their story that this will see print at B&N.
Old 06-08-05, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by sinned
Where did you get this info? Newsarama has not corrected their story that this will see print at B&N.
He probably got it from David Gabriel who posts regularly at the marvel masterworks message board. David is a big wig at Marvel and usually lets that board know about upcoming releases. The thread about ultimate x-men is here:

http://p206.ezboard.com/fmarvelmaste...cID=3759.topic