Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Bergman's 'Scene From A Marriage'

Old 01-22-05, 01:22 PM

Bergman's 'Scene From A Marriage'

Haven't seen the movie/tv version, or read the book, anyone know which came first, and if they recommend starting with one over the other?
Old 02-16-05, 07:01 PM

Honestly, I didn't know that it was a book. I've seen the movie and TV version and strongly recommend seeing the TV version first. It's much more in-depth and you really get a feeling for the situations. The movie version is not even really necessary except as an interesting way to see how Bergman edited his television dramas. Same is true of Fanny and Alexander.
Old 02-17-05, 03:33 PM

Yea this was actually my mistake, the book is just the script, the site I found it on had it mislabeled, but further investigation led to finding it to be a script.
Old 02-18-05, 02:26 PM

Interestingly, I read somewhere that Bergman would write his movies first as novels, then adapt the scripts from those sources. I don't know if this is true, and if so, when he started this practice, but I got the impression that he never intended the "novels" to be published.