Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you ever do "what-ifs" with fictional characters?

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks
View Poll Results: Do you ever do "what-ifs" with fictional characters?
Yes
50.00%
No
33.33%
Twikoff vs Twikoff...no matter who wins, we lose!
16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-04, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know, where you imagine what if this character met that character, and the outcome? Or am I the only one?

Right now, as you may or may not know from the other thread, I'm on a big assassin kick (I can now kill you 14 different ways without it being traced back to me, muhahah).

I found myself wondering the following thing earlier today:

In an all out brawl, who would win:

Jack Reacher (Lee Child's series), Mitch Rapp (Vince Flynn's series), or Shane Schofield (Matthew Reilly)?

I'm thinking Schofield (if you know who all those characters are), but deep downside I want it to be Reacher.

Ok, I just reread this, and I might be crazy. Someone else say they do this!
Old 11-02-04, 12:40 PM

Location: The Fair City of Detroit, ok, The Fair Suburbs of Detroit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I saw this thread's title, the first thing that I thought of was Rapp vs Scarecrow.

By the way, Rapp would win, although Scarecrow handled Mother pretty handily. It would be a damn good fight.

I'm not familiar with Lee Child, are his books in a similar vein as Flynn and Reilly?
Old 11-02-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

no, unless it's like a "Who would you rather bone....."
Old 11-02-04, 12:46 PM

Received 121 Likes on 83 Posts
No. This is known as "Fan Fiction" and it's not my cup of tea.
Old 11-02-04, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by JEStinson3
When I saw this thread's title, the first thing that I thought of was Rapp vs Scarecrow.

By the way, Rapp would win, although Scarecrow handled Mother pretty handily. It would be a damn good fight.

I'm not familiar with Lee Child, are his books in a similar vein as Flynn and Reilly?
Reacher is a badass character. He's an ex-military MP who has his own code of ethics.

Pick one of Child's books up, if you like the Rapp/Scarecrow characters, I'm pretty sure you'll like Reacher. He's my favorite of the three.

You really think Rapp would win? Hand to hand, I think Scarecrow's got 'em locked down (man, typing this out sounds insane....but hey, it's all in fun).
Old 11-03-04, 02:33 PM

I do think that Rapp would win, eventhough he is a bit older than Scarecrow. I think that it would be very close, probably a draw.

Actually now that I think about it, Scarecrow would probably win. I love the way that Rapp is written though, he has an edge to him that Scarecrow doesn't have yet. DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU HAVE READ SCARECROW
Spoiler:
I do think that Scarecrow will be a darker character after the death of Fox in future books.
I'm really looking forward to the next Scarecrow book and the possible Black Knight book.

Maybe I just like Rapp better. I don't know.

According to Amazon, Killing Floor is the first Reacher book. Does that sound right?
Old 11-03-04, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by JEStinson3
According to Amazon, Killing Floor is the first Reacher book. Does that sound right?
Yep, sounds right, at least it's the first one I read.

However, if you want to go "chronological", you should read "Enemy" first. It is the most recent Reacher book, but it is actually a prequel to all the other ones. It covers back when he was still in the army, instead of being an ex-MP. It's not necessary to read Enemy first, or last, and it won't really spoil anything major regardless of which order you read it.

As far as Scarecrow going darker, I think you're 100% accurrate on that. He's already a killing machine, so it will be interesting to see how Reilly turns up the heat. A Black Knight book could be cool, but I feel like he's a little too similar to Scarecrow.
Old 11-04-04, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by Joem
As far as Scarecrow going darker, I think you're 100% accurrate on that. He's already a killing machine, so it will be interesting to see how Reilly turns up the heat. A Black Knight book could be cool, but I feel like he's a little too similar to Scarecrow.
I read an interview with Reilly and he said that he had a lot of fun writing Knight because he felt that he could do anything with him and not worry about it being realistic. He also writes Mother this way. This interview was in the ARC edition of Scarecrow that I read, it may be in the mass market book, but I'm not sure.