Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Peter Pan sequel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-04, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Peter Pan sequel?

Just read today that the British hospital that owns the rights to Peter Pan gets a significant amount of royalty money from Peter and that their copyright will expire in a few years. When that happens, they will be getting zip. So they're looking for someone to write a sequel, probably with the same copyright arragement that J.M. Barre gave them.

So, out of curiosity, and leaving aside any concerns about whether they could afford the right author OR if a particular author would even be interested, the question is…
who should they get?

I say J.K. Rowling.

Any others?
Old 08-26-04, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's already a sequel coming out this Tuesday:

You can read more about it here.
Old 08-26-04, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Interesting, but it's a prequel, not a sequel. Not to be contrary, but the article I read clearly stated the rights holders were looking for someone to write a sequel that would be published in a few years.

I will hazard a guess and say Peter and the Statcatchers may not be an "authorized" work. It sounds like a pastiche in which characters are referred to by other names or incomplete versions of the names we know them by.
Old 08-26-04, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's already a sequel...

it's called Peter Pan in New York. I've got a first edition of it. It's among that whole slate of forgotten sequels, kinda like Twain's sequels to Tom Sawyer.
Old 08-27-04, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't been able to find anything about "Peter Pan in New York" on the web, except an incidental reference to some stage play by that name that's mentioned in a bio of a Maude Adams. Your edition sounds like it might be an adaptation of that play.

J. M. Barrie wasn't a prolific author. According to all the references I've checked, he never wrote, nor authorized, a sequel to Peter Pan.