Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

How many of you re-read books multiple times?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks
View Poll Results: Do you re-read novels?
Yes, I love going back and visiting characters I love
80.56%
No, there are too many books out there to waste time re-reading
19.44%
I don't know how to read
0%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Just curious as to how many of you re-read novels if you like them. I have a few I have read multiple times and like going back there every once in a while.

The big one: Jurassic Park I've probably read this 10 times since it came out.

Timothy Zahn's: Star Wars Trilogy(Heir to the Empire, etc.) Read each of them about 3 times.

The Green Mile: read a couple of times. Solid majestic story with great characters.

Skeleton Crew: Book of short stories by Stephen King. Some of which are far better than some of this novels.
Old 05-08-04, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I re-read series when the next book comes out... Some of the longer series, like Piers Anthony's Xanth, Robert Asprin's Myth books, etc., I have read 15-20 times.
Old 05-09-04, 09:10 AM
Mod Emeritus

In my youth I re-read books without thinking about it.

Although I've re-read a number of books in the last decade, because my to-read pile is so large and the time I find to read relatively limited, re-reading is a luxury I rarely feel able to afford; a state of affairs that I regret!
Old 05-09-04, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only two books I've re-read are Jurassic Park and Lord of The Rings: Return of The King (last fall before the movie). There are some books I'm sure I'll re-read eventually, but I have an ever-growing pile of unread books that I have to get through first.
Old 05-09-04, 10:52 AM

Not as much as I used to due to a lack of time. I remember in Junior High I read the Dragonriders of Pern and Harperhall trilogys multiple times.

I wouldn't mind reading Neil Gaiman's Good Omens and American Gods again.
Old 05-09-04, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never re-read a book once I'm done except... George RR Martin's "A song of ice and fire" series.

Can't wait for "A feast for crows" (vol.4) so in the meantime I'm revisiting that fantastic world once more
Old 05-09-04, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can reread some good books (like the aforementioned GRRM's Song of Fire and Ice, or even the Wild Cards series).... But some books are 1 time only (like most of Tom Clancy's books).
Old 05-09-04, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I'm actually embarking on a reread of Sum of All Fears, Debt of Honor, Executive Orders as we speak. The topics are so timely, I just had to.

The original Star Wars novels I've read a lot, a few of the Trek ones. I need to do the LOTR ones again, and the Potters.

One book I've read so many times it isn't funny, Talechaser's Song by Tad Williams. Sort of a LOTR with cats. Kinda comparable to Watership Down.
Old 05-10-04, 08:55 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Very rarely (if ever). There are just too many books I haven't read for me to spend time re-reading material I've already read.
Old 05-10-04, 09:59 AM

I reread philosophy books (zhuangzi, expecially) and I can't get enough of Voltaire's Candide which is a quick read.
Old 05-10-04, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I do it all the time. I usually only buy one new book at a time, so if I finish one book and I really want reading material, I'll just pick up an older one. Once I get a couple of chapters in, I'm hooked and finish it again.
Old 05-10-04, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
When I was a lad, I would read books numerous times. It's been a long time since I've reread a book, maybe A Confederacy of Dunces.
Old 05-10-04, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by littlefuzzy
I re-read series when the next book comes out... Some of the longer series, like Piers Anthony's Xanth, Robert Asprin's Myth books, etc., I have read 15-20 times.
I do the same thing - although that's only with the series that I started before I knew how long it would be between books. Nowadays I read reviews to see if I want to read a new series, and just buy them all without reading them until the series is done, and then read them all in a row. I hate waiting years to find out what happens next (robert jordan, I'm talking to you). It's much easier for me to wait to read them in the first place than it is to start a series and have to wait a year or more to find out what happens next. The worst wait for me was book 4 of the Earth's Children series - thirteen years in between books. Sheesh.

Even though there are at least 100 books of my 500 that I haven't read yet, if I feel like rereading a series (no matter how long it is) or just a standalone that I love, I'll do it without reservation. Sure, there's no way I'll ever be able to read everything, but life is to be enjoyed, so if I feel like rereading something, and thoroughly enjoy myself while reading it, why not? I do the same thing with movies, miniseries and tv shows.

Right now I'm on the last book of the 9 book series by Robin Hobb (technically they're three trilogies, but all take place in the same world, so it's a nine book series in my eyes), and then I think I'll return to classic literature. I've had an urge to read Jane Austin for a few weeks now. Although, I haven't read the davinci code or prey yet, so they may be next. And when King finishes the Dark Tower series, I'll read those.

Last edited by WarriorPrincess; 05-10-04 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-10-04, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
I do this too. Some of my favorite rereads are:

Chtorr series

Anything by William Gibson, Arthur C. Clarke, or Phillip K. Dick

The Tin Drum

certain biographies

Sherlock Holmes

Shakespeare

etc
Old 05-11-04, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've reread several King and Clancy novels, as well as LOTR and the Harry Potters. On occasion, I've also been known to reread Shakespeare, Heart of Darkness, and To Kill a Mockingbird.
Old 05-11-04, 07:21 PM

I definitey reread my books. The Ender's Game series, LOTR series times, Harry Potter 1-4 while waiting for book 5 to come out, The Talisman by Steven King. Probably more that I'm forgetting.
Old 05-11-04, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Forgot to mention one of the greats. Poe. Always good.
Old 05-13-04, 12:39 PM
Retired

I re-read. Not a lot, but I've read LOTR a couple times, Fight Club 4 or 5 times, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 3 or 4 times, and so on.

I'll probably re-read the rest of Palahniuk's books and well as a couple of Nick Hornby's books I jusrt read.
Old 05-13-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I voted "no. . ."

There are only a handful of books I've re-read as there are too many new ones to experience. Offhand, I can only remember re-reading either William Goldman's "Magic" or "Marathon Man" and I think Puzo's "Fools Die".
Old 05-17-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,465 Likes on 932 Posts
I do. It's a matter of how much energy I have. If I don't have the energy to put into a new title that might be difficult, I'll re-read an easy, fun book or re-watch an easy, fun movie. If I'm really tired, I'll watch television, which requires no brainpower at all.

Since I go through long periods of life with low energy levels, my book collection has a lot of titles by authors like E.E. Doc Smith and Robert E. Howard.
Old 05-17-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All the time. Dragonlance Saga, Harry Potter Series, Dan Brown books, Crichton, Grisham, Archer. Love 'em all and I always go back whenever I don't have anything new.
Old 05-17-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It depends on the book, but I often do go back and reread books I've already read. A lot of times I'll enjoy it more the second or third time around. I'm going to be starting on rereading the Dark Tower books to prep for Books 6 and 7 which are coming soon. I may also go back and reread the Harry Potter books as it's been a while since I've read the earlier novels.
Old 05-17-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Duh. I just finished re-reading the Dark Tower series. Well, 1-4 and then WoC for the first time.
Old 05-19-04, 12:16 PM

I must've re-read all of Laurell k Hamilton's Anita Blake series 10+ times, and Janet Evanoviches Steph Plum series isn't far behind that.

Hamilton's books are addictive and Evanoviche's series is like a sitcom in book form, the best type of relaxation with characters that so far, don't get stale.
Old 05-19-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

IF the book has been an enjoyable read, then I am more than happy to go back and re-read them.

I enjoy Stephen King, Robert Heinlein, Perry Mason mysteries, Leon Uris, Robert Ludlum and many others. Books enjoyed such as To Kill a Mockingbird, The Godfather, Doc Savage pulp novels and Trek books.

I like getting caught up all over in a good book. Great way to spend rainy days.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.