Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Worst Stephen King Book?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks
View Poll Results: What's the worst Stephen King book?
Bag of Bones
2.76%
Dolores Claiborne
2.76%
Dreamcatcher
17.13%
From a Buick 8
6.63%
Gerald's Game
23.76%
Insomnia
6.08%
Rose Madder
6.63%
Tommyknockers
19.89%
Gunslinger (any)
5.52%
Other (please specify)
8.84%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Worst Stephen King Book?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-06, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just started reading this thread and was confused by all the posts on page 1 Talking about the Dark Tower being his crowning achievement, then I saw the post that talked about Song of Suzanah coming out SOON, looked at the dates and said ....ahhhhhh!
Old 04-12-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved Insomnia and Rose Madder.
Old 04-12-06, 02:26 PM
Cool New Member

Well, I haven't read Dreamcatcher but saw the movie which sucked big time. My choice of the books I read would be Insomnia. It just seemed to go on and on. A massive edit would have improved that book tremendously. Same with the Stand though that is my favourite of his books.
Old 04-12-06, 03:31 PM

Definitely The Dark Half. Although Dreamcatcher was pretty bad, too.
Old 04-16-06, 05:25 PM

The Tommyknockers was chore to get through, but I remeber The Regulators being pretty awful, although I did like Depseration
Old 04-18-06, 11:48 PM

I've been reading King for several years and am trying to work my way through them chronologically. So far I'm up through Misery and I have loved just about everything the man has written.

Favorites: The Stand, It, Misery, Pet Sematary, Salem's Lot, The Shining, Christine

Not My Favorites: Carrie, The Dead Zone, Roadwork, The Running Man, Thinner

I still liked those books in my "not favorites" category, but I just didn't think they were quite up to par with his other books. Oh yeah, and Cycle of the Werewolf was kind of weak if you decide to count that one.
Old 04-22-06, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Your still in the golden age...you've got Tommyknockers, Dark Half, Needful Things, Geralds Game, and Delores Clairborne coming up soon and in rapid sucession.

Last edited by Tommy Ceez; 04-22-06 at 01:53 AM.
Old 04-25-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Your still in the golden age...you've got Tommyknockers, Dark Half, Needful Things, Geralds Game, and Delores Clairborne coming up soon and in rapid sucession.
You didn't like the Dark Half or Needful Things? I enjoyed the hell out of both of those.
Old 04-25-06, 02:12 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, THE DARK HALF and DOLORES CLAIBORNE were both stellar reads (NEEDFUL THINGS is among a handful of King titles I have yet to finish, but I enjoyed the movie and know from experience that his books are often 10 times better, so I feel safe that I'll love it)...
Old 04-25-06, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I thought Needful Things was brilliant. The movie didn't do it justice, but that is par for the course when it comes to King.
Old 04-25-06, 10:47 PM

I couldn't get past about page 25 in Dreamcatcher and have only been able the read the first half of Cell.
Old 04-25-06, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gerald's Game - in fact I disliked it so much, it was the last Stephen King book I read.
Old 05-07-06, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Xander
You didn't like the Dark Half or Needful Things? I enjoyed the hell out of both of those.
They werent bad, they just didnt FEEL right, and from someone reading Classic King in rapid sucession, its probably going to be worse.
Old 05-11-06, 05:34 PM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like the Dark Tower series (although the first books were better than the last couple of books), however this one is by far the worse out of the series and the worse King book I've ever read:
Wolves of the Calla (The Dark Tower, Book 5)

Thank-ya NOT!
Old 05-11-06, 05:38 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Couldn't disagree more--even though it's the second thickest of the series, I read it faster than any of the others in the series; I thought WOLVES OF THE CALLA was a sheer blast!
Old 05-11-06, 05:42 PM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Couldn't disagree more--even though it's the second thickest of the series, I read it faster than any of the others in the series; I thought WOLVES OF THE CALLA was a sheer blast!
So you didn't think it was boring and you were just waiting for the wolves? And I got so sick of that dialect....

But hey, to each his own!
Old 05-12-06, 10:14 AM

The Regulators is my least favorite by a mile. I just couldn't get into it no matter how much I wanted to. I loved Desperation, it's near if not at the top of my favorites list for King, but I read that first so maybe thats why I was so disappointed in The Regulators.

I'm surprised there's so many votes for Tommyknockers. I agree with the comments about the movie sucking, but I thought the book was amazing. It was one of the "stay up all night because I have to find out what happens next" books for me.
Old 05-12-06, 11:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by exm
So you didn't think it was boring and you were just waiting for the wolves? And I got so sick of that dialect....
Not boring at all, what with the todash moments, the introduction of
Spoiler:
Stephen King
as an actual physical entity in the world of the Dark Tower and Roland's psycho-physical connection to him, the Ladies of Oriza, the subterfuge with
Spoiler:
Andy and Benny Slightman, Sr.
, the discovery of Black Thirteen, the introduction of full-force horror with Mia's late night feedings and the knowledge of
Spoiler:
what's growing in Susannah's belly
, etc. etc. etc. There were TONS of things going on in WotC other than just waiting for the final battle. Oh, and the dialect you hate has a very specific reason for being introduced, which you will learn if you continue with the series...
Old 05-13-06, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by exm
I like the Dark Tower series (although the first books were better than the last couple of books), however this one is by far the worse out of the series and the worse King book I've ever read:

Thank-ya NOT!
Song of Suzannah makes The Wolves of Calla look like IT
Old 05-18-06, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm surprised "Rose Madder" is getting blasted like that. I thought it was an enjoyable read. I will agree that "Gerald's Game" kinda sucked, though.
Old 05-18-06, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Andalusia
I'm surprised "Rose Madder" is getting blasted like that. I thought it was an enjoyable read. I will agree that "Gerald's Game" kinda sucked, though.
Frankly, I can't see how anyone can bash Gerald's Game, which I found to be a captivating read - survival of the fittest - yet thought Rose Madder was simply the dregs.
Old 05-19-06, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Gerald's Game = Couldn't get through it. The only king book I couldn't finish. I don't really go for books of this type. You know the flash back city books while someone is waiting to die or be rescued. One of the worst books I ever attempted to read.

Dolores Claiborne = it was ok but mostly forgetable. I forgot I read the book until the eclipse was mentioned.

Insomnia = I like this. Not great and doesn't stand out at all but I wasn't bored. Liked the Dark Tower tie in.

Rose Madder = I thought this was great. Crazy cop chasing his old lady through the real world and then to some place else not so real or just not as nice. I really felt the lady's pain in this one.

Tommyknockers = Surprised so many people didn't like it. One of my top ten king books easy. Sure there chapters that could be completely skipped and just dragged on for no reason but most of the book was great. Come on, dead aliens making people super smart and then having those people do evil things was just great. The thing she did to that dog was just horrific.

Black House = Basically a Dark Tower book. I liked all of it even the strange beginning and wished it stayed that way for the entire book but he went back to normal style. Its not scary but kept my interest. More of a fantasy really.

Gunslinger series = a true epic story but didn't care for the ending and my favorite character died in it. Of course there are other worlds than that one so maybe he'll show up again in one.

Desperation = This was great. It was freaking bloodbath from start to finish. Just killing and more killing. Then the little signs of what the cop was doing was great like the hand in fish tank.

The Regulators = this was ok. It was kind of jarring reading about the same people but now in different rolls. The crazy parts of the book were a good idea but just didn't grab me.

haven't been reading his newer stuff. Don't think he writes as good after his near death and off the wacky plant. I'll get around to them sooner or later. Its not like I found a replacement for king yet.
Old 06-06-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by exm

Thank-ya NOT!
agreed ..im 200 some pages in and bored to tears with it..i dont think im investing anymore time into this one either
Old 06-27-06, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Having now completed the Dark Tower series, it gets my vote as his worst. The HUGE drop in quality after Wizard and Glass left me stunned, and by the time I finished the sixth book, I nearly didn't read the seventh, but gave in. It has to be one of the worst endings ever for ANY book, much less a series that I devoted months to reading and re-reading.

An incredible let-down for me.
Old 07-02-06, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Living Dead
Having now completed the Dark Tower series, it gets my vote as his worst. The HUGE drop in quality after Wizard and Glass left me stunned, and by the time I finished the sixth book, I nearly didn't read the seventh, but gave in. It has to be one of the worst endings ever for ANY book, much less a series that I devoted months to reading and re-reading.

An incredible let-down for me.
Blame the stupid dog in the f'in van

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.