Julius Schwartz - RIP

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Julius Schwartz - RIP

Old 02-11-04, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Julius Schwartz - RIP

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...em.cgi?id=3263

Just heard the Julius Schwartz passed away over the weekend. I saw him when he attended Dragon Con for the past 5 years, and he was always in good spirits and a class act. The comic book industry lost one of their giants this weekend.
Old 02-11-04, 02:54 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
He was a true legend, and I don't really know what else to say.

I came of age in the early 1980s, and read Marvel to boot, so as a kid, I didn't really read much of his work. When I got older, though, and started getting exposed to Green Lantern, the Flash, Adam Strange, Hawkman, and all the other great characters he worked on, I came to learn that a Julie Schwartz edited book was almost always a good one, and often a great one.

And while he's associated with DC's "second tier" characters, we should remember that he had memorable associations with Superman and Batman as well.

I just read the Zatanna's Search collection, which he edited. As usual from Julie, it was great stuff.
Old 02-11-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Julie was the editor when Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams re-vitalized Batman in the early 1970's. He was also on the cutting edge with the Green Lantern issues #76-89 which featured many unheard of developments at the time.
Old 02-11-04, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Julie never got the credit Stan Lee got.I also remember him for is earth 1 earth 2 and the unforgetable earth prime stories.he will be miissed.AMAZON gets his autobiography every few weeks Man of Two Worlds: My Life in Science Fiction and Comics by Julius Schwartz
Before there was Superman or Batman, before Ray Bradbury or Harlan Ellison ever picked up a pen, before there were science-fiction fans and conventions, there was Julius Schwartz -- a man who would have an indelible effect on all this and more