Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Steve Martin's The Pleasure of My Company

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-04, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts
Steve Martin's The Pleasure of My Company

Who else has read this? I didn't read Shopgirl, though I do have Martin's earlier book Cruel Shoes.

The first half of it was very entertaining. But I have to admit I started dozing during the whole road trip.

I think I may have enjoyed it more if Martin had written more the events taking place as taking place in 'real time'. Constructed them into actual scenes. For the most part, event's take place in a single paragraph. I wish they could have been drawn out, allowed me to live inside that moment for a bit.

It also has one of the most (unintentionaly) funny About The Author's I've read: Steve Martin is a celebrated writer who's work appears frequently in The New Yorker and The New York Times. He is also a preformer in films such as LA Story, The Spanish Prisoner and Bringing Down The House .
Old 02-06-04, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just finished it a few days ago and really, really liked it. It took me a little while to figure out whether I'd truly end up liking Daniel or simply being annoyed by his OCD. I think Martin went a long way in developing Daniel as someone with a good heart who genuinely wants to transcend his life. I found a lot of parallels between his OCD and the stumbling-blocks most of us put in the way of finding that one piece of happiness we all need.

And I thought the last four pages were absoultely delicate and beautiful. I wasn't quite sure how he was going to tie things up up until the last moment, but I was moved.
Old 02-26-04, 09:30 AM

I just read this (it's a short read) and really liked it. I think that if I wanted to be critical, I wouldn't have liked it, but if you just relax and enjoy the story it is very entertaining and does leave a warm fuzzy.

I agree that his shortcomings were not only comparable to events that everyone has but they are also exaggerated mind games that most people play in their own heads (very exaggerated for most, I hope).
Old 02-26-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I noticed they're making a movie of Shopgirl. Starring steve martin. Screenplay by steve martin adapted from a novel by steve martin. Oh, and directed by steve martin.

I think I'll pick these up, though, I hear they're pretty good.
Old 02-28-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I quite enjoyed it, it didn't quite measure up to Shopgirl which had the novelty of Steve Martin writing a great piece of fiction to me, but it was solid and didn't wear out its welcome. Somehow it reminded me a lot of David Sedaris' writings too.
Old 02-29-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts
That's a decent comparision. In the opening, where he dresses the lamp up in his clothes to see if he is visible in the window, I thought it sounded like something Sedaris would do.
Old 03-09-04, 07:37 PM

I haven't read this, have read Shopgirl though...but nothing can top Picasso at the Lapin Agile for me.
Old 03-10-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Steve Martin's The Pleasure of My Company

Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
It also has one of the most (unintentionaly) funny About The Author's I've read: Steve Martin is a celebrated writer who's work appears frequently in The New Yorker and The New York Times. He is also a preformer in films such as LA Story, The Spanish Prisoner and Bringing Down The House .
I don't get it.