Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Has anyone read david eddings?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-04, 03:02 PM
Gig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone read david eddings?

the belgariad or mallareon series? if so what are they like becuase ive bought them under reccomendation but havent began them!
Old 01-14-04, 04:51 PM

They are great books and you should have a hard time putting them down. I have read both series multiple time. They compare favorably to Lord of the Rings
Old 01-14-04, 09:11 PM

I read them when I was younger. They're good reads, written for a younger crowd. The two series are kind of repetitive. I enjoyed them.
Old 01-14-04, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Never been able to get into Eddings even though I've tried multiple times.
Old 01-15-04, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Meh. I've read a few of his books. They were somewhat entertaining, but a little too simplistic.
Old 01-15-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read the Belgariad and then the Mallorean about 4 mos ago on the advice of a coworker. I didn't think they were as good as he swore up and down they were, but they were a very good read. Very quick, very simple. Entertaining.

The only real problem I had with them is that Eddings tends to telegraph what is coming next, so a sharp mind can predict exactly what's up ahead.
Old 01-15-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Definitely for the younger reader. I read these WAY WAY back when they first came out and I am old.
Old 01-15-04, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I read them in my early teenage years, as well as the Elenium and Tamuli series. I thoroughly enjoyed them at that age. I've reread them at least once since then, and most recently the Belgariad and Mallorean about a year ago. I'm in my late 20s now, and I still find them enjoyable. Not as deep as some other sci-fi/fantasy epics like Song of Ice and Fire, but I would gladly re-read them again a few years down the track.

My favorite is the Mallorean, but The Belgariad is also very good. When you're done reading them, let us know what you think.
Old 01-16-04, 07:20 PM

I enjoy them and re-read then regularly, usually during the summer when I have more free time. I have probably read them 10+ times. The stories are good, humorous, and keep a thread going about good and evil and the dichotomy of both of them having to exist.

The characters are fun. Not as deep as LOTR, and written for the teen+ age group, but fun none the less. I think of these in much the same way I think of Harry Potter: written for a younger crowd, but also enjoyable light reading for adults who are into fantasy lit.
Old 01-18-04, 03:07 PM
Gig

ive read pawn of prophercy but yet to start queen of sorcery as im doing english literature for A-Levels so i have to do alot of reading of world war one novels. fantastic book though and im eager to start the next.