Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

One thousand Orcs

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-04, 09:35 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thousand Orcs

Anybody read this book by R.A. Salvadore? Any good?
Old 01-01-04, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 172 Posts
I've looked at it several times, but haven't picked it up yet. It looks interesting, but part me just can't get past it's association with TSR and D&D by being part of the "Forgotten Realms" series. It's silly, I know, because I have no problem with other franchise books (Trek, Star Wars) as long as they're good. I guess I'm just worried it will be a LOTR ripoff.

The other (more serious) thing that makes me pause is that it's the opening book in a second trilogy. Is it closely related to the first trilogy, in that I would have to read the other books to know what's going on? Would reading this ruin the original trilogy if I decided to go back and read them?
Old 01-01-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 260 Likes on 153 Posts
I was a big fan of the Drizzt series, but Wulgar's storyline really dragged it down for me. I think the last one I read was Servant of the Shard. I have heard that this new series is a lot better, though. I'm sure CaptainMarvel can chime in on this; I think he's still reading them.
Old 01-02-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Salvatore hasn't seemed as good to me recently in his non-TSR "Demonwars" books, but I still think this current Drizzt series is top-notch.

The Thousand Orcs is excellent, and The Lone Drow is almost as good. I'm looking forward to the last one.

Jason: This series should be easily accessible to anybody. There's enough exposition to catch you up on major events fairly quickly.

Tom Banjo: This trilogy is much better than the "Wulfgar" books. . . those were a drag on the series. Wulfgar really wasn't ever the most interesting character, so focusing on him (and making him brood the entire time) really wasn't a good idea. These books focus probably about 40% on Drizzt, with another 40% spread pretty equally between the rest of the mainstays, and another 20% spread between villains and supporting characters.

Spoiler:
Ivan and Pikel, from the Cleric Quintent, are also part of this series.
Old 01-04-04, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just finished The Thousand Orcs two days ago. It was fantastic. I've read the rest of the Drizzt books (there must be what, 10 or more previous ones), but I think this one would be accessible to anyone, and was just telling my fiance that about three hours ago...
Old 01-05-04, 05:44 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a great book.

Best book in the series since The Silent Blade IMO.

Haven't read The Lone Drow yet, waiting for the paperback.

I've read all of them, and it's on par with the best in the series, not as good as The Dark Elf Trilogy or the Crystal Shard Trilogy, but on par with the books that came after that (The Legacy, Starless Night, etc.) and better than the books focusing on characgters other than Drizzt IMO>