Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Getting bored with "The Wheel of Time" series by Robert Jordan... Am I the only one?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Getting bored with "The Wheel of Time" series by Robert Jordan... Am I the only one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-03, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't like Goodkind's Wizard's First Rule as well. I didn't feel any imminent danger for the main character one bit. He will inevitably get help or luck out no matter what he does, everything just comes together perfectly and he is a one-dimensional character (all honorable, good, etc). I thought it is a very average (if that) fantasy book. Actually, I think it is pure boredom and will not bother with the rest of the series.

In fact, I think WOT is much better. I thought Book 9 is pretty good (at least the conclusion), but book 8 was pretty boring. Reading book 10 now, and from all account, this is a snoozer.
Old 12-17-03, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sword of Truth. No. Boring, predictable, not believable, and one-dimensonal characters = crap fantasy.

Wheel of Time. Yes. First few books are very good, some of the later books are all over the place, but I enjoyed them b/c I like the characters (for the most part) and a very well-constructed universe (unlike SoT above).
Old 12-17-03, 11:45 PM

Regarding WOT, I got pretty sick of it in book 10 (the characters went NOWHERE) and I'm pretty upset that the next book is a prequel. I'll probably buy it and read it though. Will probably wait till it hits the bargin racks before buying it.
Old 12-18-03, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by Beaver

Stephen Erickson has been added to my to-read list. It looks like his books are not so common in the US though.
Yeah, they haven't actually been published in the States yet. The first one will be released in paperback there in June or July next year.

(I'm in Canada; if you really want 'em, book prices are pretty good here compared with what you pay in the U.S., and you should be able to order them from amazon.ca or chapters.indigo.ca)

Guy Gavriel Kay is a great author - Tigana, A Song for Arbonne, Lions of Al-Rassan... well I love all of his books actually. He just writes SOOOOO well.

(And he's a Canadian author, too!)
Old 12-18-03, 08:08 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
I like Robin Hobb alot.

Guy Gavriel Kay is also very good, he helped edit the Simirillian after all, so he knows his fantasy.

I was in the library the other day and noticed a new Shannara novel was out. Talk about tired. I thought the last trilogy mediocre at best, and the finale sucked.
Old 12-19-03, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I blame it all on the book where they spent a 1000 pages looking for the Bowl of the Winds. Then he broke that little adventure up over two books. Yeesh that did it for me.
Old 12-19-03, 09:19 AM

This series of books was next on my list to read. Please tell me it's very good or I'll never start.
Old 12-19-03, 10:43 AM

I stopped reading after book 7. I pick up the new hardbacks when I find them cheap, I'll read them when the series wraps. My guess is that I'll have a lot of reading to do in 2015.

drunkrob - Jordan has created a really cool world, he's just taking his sweet time telling the story

I agree with others about Erikson. Latest news here.
Old 12-26-03, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've read all three of the series discussed and would rank them as such:

1. Song of Fire and Ice
2 Wheel of Time

3 Sword of Truth.

I started reading WOT when the 9th book came out. I read it fanatically and finished all nine 1-2 months time. The series peaked in the middle books. In the last few books he started dragging out the story with too many side stories. I'll eventually reread it when he puts out the final book.

The sword of truth series is all over the place. Goodkind "borrows" a lot of elements for Jordan and Terry Brooks. The books very from excellent to bad, with 2, and 6 being the best IMO. Where as 4 (Temple of the Winds) was just really boring, sadistic and depressing. 3, and 5 were ok, and 1 was good. Book 7 with pissed me off royally, as it had little to do witht the main characters or the story arc. I haven't read the latest book, I'll wait till he finishes and will SELECTIVELY reread it. Also Terry takes way to much pleasure in writing about sexual torture, as he gives detailed descriptions of perverse torture sessions, which are fairly common.

SOFAI: I'll keep it short, BEST FANATASY SERIES I'VE READ! I JUST WISH HE WOULD RELEASE THE 4TH BOOK ALREADY!