Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Book club question / discussion thread [ inc. QPB, SFBC etc.]

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-04, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts
Occasionally they have sales, usually from a selected flyer's worth of books. Sometimes they require a 'regular price' purchase, sometimes they don't. You don't earn 'bonus points' on the discounted books, of course.
I've joined them three or four times. In fact, I cancelled about six months ago, and about every 1.5-2 months, I get a 'We Want You Back!' flyer. You definitely would benefit more from quitting/joining again, but just like CH, they 'reserve the right to refuse memberships.' But if you wait a bit, they'll probably invite you back. I think only once have I bought anything other than my fulfillments, but it's hard for me to pay more than 5 or 8 bucks for a book [my library has a booksale once a year where I can get books for 5-20 cents each, so that has tainted all my book purchases.]
Old 03-03-04, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's what I figured. I just wanted to be sure.

It sounds like I'm in the opposite situation as you. I recently moved to rural Vermont and the libraries are really lacking (especially compared to what I'm used to) so I'm finally having to buy the books that I want, and the used bookstores aren't that great either.

Thanks.
Old 03-03-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm sorry : (
In that case, QPB [and the other book clubs, depending on your interests] might be a good way to go.
One big advantage to QPB and the Science Fiction Book Club [which I've joined 3 or 4 times] is that they sell omnibus editions. Trade-in value at bookstores on these is usually very low, but you could probably recoup some money on Half.com or ebay if you wanted to. And they usually count as one selection. When I joined the SFBC last time, I think all I bought were omnibuses--
The Demon Princes, which had either 4 or 5 books in one; Compleat Dying Earth, which had 3 or 4, Homecoming Harmony and Homecoming Earth, 5 books in 2 volumes, etc. So you can really stretch it out if you look.
Same with QPB. Whether or not it's worth staying with them, or cancelling and rejoining, is up to you--much like Columbia House, obviously enough people stay with them to subsidize the people who don't. And while you may pay 25 bucks for one book later on, you do get some 'points', and like any club, the averages are generally in your favor.
QPB also has a thing where after you buy 6 books at 'regular club prices', they send you a cert for a free book.
Old 04-21-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 777 Likes on 604 Posts
Last night I went to the SFBC webpage and went through their whole enrollment deal (selected all five Harry Potter novels and Crisis on Infinite Earths as the additional book for $4.95). How soon will I receive a confirmation e-mail from them? I thought it would have been immediate but I've not received an e-mail from them yet. Will it take a few days?
Old 04-23-04, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

38 views and not a single reply. Does no one truly know? Should I just try to enroll again or is it better that I wait? My usual experience with such things has always been to receive a confirmation e-mail a short while after I filled out the online form, that same day. That's why I find the wait to be so weird. Is this normal for the Science Fiction Book Club?
Old 04-23-04, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pity post ;

I don't remember exactly, but it seems I did wait a little while before I got an order confirmation from them when I first signed up. I think I did get an enrollment confirmation the same day, or the next day though.

I would say, if you can log onto the member section of the site, you're good to go, if not, keep pestering them with emails.
Old 04-23-04, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pity post or no, I appreciate the reply, Mutley Hyde.
I'll try logging into the site (now why didn't I think of that?).
Old 05-04-04, 07:38 PM

I have a question. I am going to susbcribe to qpb and one of my choices is the davinci code. I want to add the dan brown combo (the one with the davinci code and angels and demons). Do any of you know if both of them are hardcover?
Old 05-04-04, 09:28 PM

I signed up and got the combo both in hardcover (although the smaller hardcovers).
Old 07-08-04, 06:39 AM

Does anyone know if the Literary Guild prints their own books? I'm thinking about joining but I want the actual publishers copies. Thanks.
Old 07-08-04, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My Dan Brown combo was one hardcover and one oversized paperback.
I liked how the combo counted as one choice, just like the single book did ; )

Re: Literary Guild--if they're like any other club I've been in, some of their books they wil print, and some will be publisher's copies. I don't know if there's a way to tell in advance on abook bybook basis [unless of course it says 'Special Guild Edition' orsomething.]
Old 07-13-04, 01:10 AM

I've heard that many of the book clubs (book of the month, doubleday, etc) with send out mailings to previous members who had cancelled their membership inviting them back to join again.

These 'We Want You Back' mailings often have an online code that entitles you to join with the initial enrollment special (like get 4 books for $4 plus shipping) and NO further commitment to buy any additional books (as opposed to the standard offer which usually requires purchasing 3 or 4 more books at regular prices).

Has anyone ever received one of these mailings, or have any codes for any of the book club sites?

Also, does anyone know if there are any websites dedicated to discussing deals at the book clubs (like dvdtalk is for dvds)?

Thanks.
Old 01-18-05, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How long does it take for QPB to process your app? I have temporary charges for my enrollment and fufillment book but still no word from them.
Old 01-18-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I finally got an account number and my enrollment order changed to submitted but my fufillment order still says placed. It would be nice to let you know you've completed your membership.
Old 01-27-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought I'd report back, I got my enrollment books on Tuesday from QPB. I'm still waiting for my fufillment book and then I was going to close the account.
Old 05-26-05, 12:01 AM

This thread seems mostly dead, sadly. Does anyone know of another forum that discusses book clubs?
Old 05-28-05, 07:54 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.book-clubs-resource.com/ seems a reasonable starting point.
Old 07-10-05, 04:38 AM

Any recent deals for clubs besides History and QPB? Specifically the more literary clubs.
Old 07-17-05, 09:59 PM

So when I am looking at like amazon or whatnot and it says "book club edition" what is that all about?

Thanks
Old 07-17-05, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A book club edition is generally a smaller hard cover (smaller than the standard printing) using cheaper materials & binding, allowing the clubs to sell them cheap. Sometimes book club editions will also include more than one novel from a series in one book.
Old 11-03-05, 10:17 AM

I joined sfbc about a month ago and am pleased so far. I ordered the new George RR Martin book which is due to ship next week.
Old 11-06-05, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been a member for a while, signed up for onespirt in a deal offer, and I need to fulfill. Couple questions. Do books from other clubs that you can buy count towards the commitment? How do I know if a book will coun?
Old 11-07-05, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dcswirl
I joined sfbc about a month ago and am pleased so far. I ordered the new George RR Martin book which is due to ship next week.
Hope you get it right away. As of right now the site says it won't ship until the 23rd.
Old 11-07-05, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by msdmoney
I've been a member for a while, signed up for onespirt in a deal offer, and I need to fulfill. Couple questions. Do books from other clubs that you can buy count towards the commitment? How do I know if a book will coun?
The other clubs books have always counted for me in the past. The BookSearch Plus books do not count.
Old 12-29-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by OwlAtHome
Any SFBC members know ifany of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files books other than Wizard for Hire are available?
Nope, that's all they offer.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.