Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Just finished Reading the book " THE FIRM"

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 11-07-03, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think its great, but the ending kinda let me down, the climax kinda went predictable and all..

What other books are great film books, you know where the book was first created and then the movie based on that, not made for movie book.

Or where the book is more exciting than the movie. I tried reading Fight Club, but the movie is just soooo much like the book it kinda killed the perpose of reading the book.

Another good one is " The GodFather" the book is amazing how much in detail it goes, then when you watch the movie it makes you wonder how fast the story moves along, with-out character developement..

So any recommendations out there..?
Old 11-07-03, 09:35 AM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts
Check out Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove and then watch the mini-series. Stephen King's novellas Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption and The Body (Stand by Me) are good reads as well. I also recommend Ordinary People and Catch-22.

There are countless others as well...
Old 11-07-03, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Geofferson
What he said...
Old 11-07-03, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Geofferson
Check out Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove and then watch the mini-series. Stephen King's novellas Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption and The Body (Stand by Me) are good reads as well. I also recommend Ordinary People and Catch-22.

I would argue that Shawshank is one of the few movies that is better than the source material.
Old 11-08-03, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 925 Likes on 656 Posts
Shawshank blows the short story away. Although I like the ending of the short story better. The Green Mile is a good one. Although that is one book/series, that is about 90% true to the source material. Very good adaptation.

My favorite is Jurassic Park. Quite different than the movie. Way better. Don't get me wrong, the movie is a classic, but the book is far superior.

Sleepers by Lorenzo Carcaterra blew me away when I read it, the movie was decent but not in the same league as the novel.
Old 11-08-03, 08:09 AM

A Simple Plan was a very interesting read, yet when I saw the movie I thought it was rather boring. But I also thought the movie followed the book much more than most, so it was kinda weird having that reaction to the movie.
Old 11-09-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Originally posted by Cedar
A Simple Plan was a very interesting read, yet when I saw the movie I thought it was rather boring. But I also thought the movie followed the book much more than most, so it was kinda weird having that reaction to the movie.
I had the opposite reaction. I thought it was a great film, but the ending departed so much from the book's ending. I thought the book's ending was much better.
Old 11-11-03, 06:24 AM

I liked The Runaway Jury by John Grisham, haven't seen the movie though.