Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

HANNIBAL by Thomas Harris

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HANNIBAL by Thomas Harris

I've held off reading this because of all the harsh reviews from consumers, but I just finished Silence of the Lambs and my interest in Hannibal Lector is rekindled.

My question is, does the novel explore the inner thoughts of Hannibal, from Hannibal's point of view? I saw the film version, and I'm pretty confident the film took a left turn from the novel, even without reading it. I could be wrong, of course.
Old 10-31-03, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Florence section of the book is great, Starling's reintroduction is a good read as well, and I even like the piggy section... but I hate the ending. I much prefer the movie ending, but that's just me.

Anyhow, no way does it stand up to Dragon and Silence, but hell, you might as well read it to come to your own conclusion. I think it's a worthy chapter in Lecter's history, and deserves a read.

And when you're done with that, read Black Sunday if you never have. Not Lecter, but another damn good read from Harris nonetheless.
Old 10-31-03, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought Harris went out of his way to write a novel that was darn near unfilmmable (if you filmed everything that was laid out in the novel), but with a little re-write, Hollywood found a way to film it, but I think I like the novel's ending more.
Old 10-31-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
(No spoilers)

There is some attempt to go into some psychological reasons for Hannibal's behavior that I felt were pretty half-baked. That being said, I really enjoyed the book, and mainly for the last section including the ending. I understand that people pretty much either love or hate the ending, but I thought Harris was pretty bold to follow that path with the characters.
Old 11-03-03, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
I'm one of the few who loved the ending. It had balls and it made sense to me.
Old 11-03-03, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Patman
I thought Harris went out of his way to write a novel that was darn near unfilmmable (if you filmed everything that was laid out in the novel), but with a little re-write, Hollywood found a way to film it, but I think I like the novel's ending more.

I had heard he wrote an "over the top" book because he wanted out of his contract or something like that.
Old 11-03-03, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh yeah, I got the impression that he dared Hollywood to make a film of the book he wrote (but of course, Hollywood did not completely follow the book to its ending because the marketing wizards knew it would not play well to the general public, which is too bad, because I dug the book's ending as well).
Old 11-03-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
The book wasn't as good as Red Dragon and Silence, but was much better than the film version. I, too, preferred the book's ending. And I thought it went into Hannibal's inner thoughts quite a bit. Incredibly detailed sections on his "memory palace", his mental system for remembering every little detail of every fact he's ever come across.

I agree that I think Mr. Harris was writing an unfilmable novel. And really, he did. Besides changing the ending, the entire interior monologue about his memories was left out.
Old 11-03-03, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Y'all are just nuts.
Old 11-05-03, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
I thought this book was terrible. After the ten or 12 years between it and Silence of the Lambs, I couldn't believe my patience was rewarded with something Harris seemed to have written on a bar bet.

It wasn't so much the ending, but the entire tone of the book. Everything seemed so fluffy and (unintentionally) cartoonish. Villiams from American Gladiators, man eating pigs... Where was the intensity and gripping story of Harris' other books. I guess a lot of people liked it. I really envy them.

I stick hold to the idea that the only reason Harris had for writting this book was him sitting over his keyboard cackeling 'I dare you to make a movie outta this!'
Old 11-06-03, 01:46 AM
Banned

It's awful
Old 11-06-03, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I actually like the book, the last 150 pages I had to read in one sitting because I sure as hell was not going to sleep with those images going through my head (Im a very visual reader, not the best thing to be when reading Harris). Like the others have said Dragon and Silence are better, but Hannibal has its positive points.

And there is no way the MPAA would have allowed Hannibal the book to be put on screen without an NC17 rating.

Yes there is a decline in writing from the first two (2) books, but the decline is far less noticeable in Harris' writing than in Grisham.
Old 11-06-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess I'm the weird one but........I actually thought "Hannibal" was the best of the three Lecter novels.

In fact, while I was reading it, I was struck with the sense that this novel managed to eclipse entirely being a mere "genre novel". For me, it actually approached the level of "literature", with all of the hoity-toity implications of that word ("Emily Bronte and Jane Austin are purveyors of literature, whilst Stephen King and John Grisham are mere novelists", that sort of thing).

Mind you, it's been a great while since I've read it, so I'm long on generalities and short on specifics (a convenient trick, one might suspect, although I plead ignorance to any such connivances), but I do recall being impressed by the extremes to which Harris carried the story- the world of this story was a world fully inhabited by his creations. It is a world where humanity has devolved, replaced by an atavistic sensibility with little hope of redemption. What is good, what is bad, what is evil, what is right/ wrong? Are there true moral standards, or are these "standards" mere tools to be levied by the powerful, used and summarily discarded whenever it's convenient? The line between hero and monster has necessarily been completely obscured, to the point where moral ambivalence is the only possible recourse in a world tossed on its head one too many times. I hesistate to say that it bears some resemblance to the real world, but.........

The problem I had with "Red Dragon" and "Lambs" is that there wasn't much ambiguity, in the sense that you knew who was who and what was what and where it was all going. To me, these stories exist within a particularily proscribed genre: Hannibal= evil; Clarice = good, with some slight shadings in there that managed to completely avoid this simple categorization. Yet, the sense of a strong "white" (moral goodness) and "black" (evil incarnate) still shone through in these books. "Hannibal", as noted above, eclipses all genres and defies easy categorization. Thus, whether or not it is actually a work of "literature", I do believe it is by far and away the most interesting of the three Lecter novels.
Old 11-08-03, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the movie and book endings both sucked big time. At least in the movie she didn't turn into some milquetoast.
Old 11-12-03, 02:44 PM
Suspended

can someone please enlighten me as to the movie's ending? I didn't want to waste my time with it, since I despised the book's ending. It's been a while, I just remember feeling incredibly gypped. I was really enjoying it for what it was, then it all turned to shite.
Old 11-12-03, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
Hannibal the movie ending:

Spoiler:
After the brain eating eating sequence, Starling is starting to sharpen out of the drugs Lector gave her. The FBI is arriving to the cottage. Staring handcuffs herself to Lector so he can't escape from the law. Lector picks up a cleaver then brings it down in a threatening manner.
We cut to an airplane. Hannibal Lector is sitting there, but wait... His hand is a stump! He cut off his own hand rather than Starling's to escape. How sweet.
Old 11-12-03, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
Spoiler:
How sweet.

Well, it's better than in the book where
Spoiler:
Hannibal and Clarice ride off into the sunset together.
Old 11-15-03, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Mutley Hyde

Well, it's better than in the book where
Spoiler:
Hannibal and Clarice ride off into the sunset together.

I disagree.

Spoiler:
The book ending had balls and it was not expected.
Old 11-15-03, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Giantrobo
I disagree.

Spoiler:
I'll give you your points. But those things do not automatically make it good. The fact that
Spoiler:
Clarice ended up acting in a way totally out of character for her
made the book ending suck as far as I was concerned.
Spoiler:
No matter what psychological baggage Clarice had, she was fundamentally a profoundly decent and deeply moral person and I cannot believe she would have accepted that life.

At least the movie refused to
Spoiler:
compromise Clarice's "soul"
as Harris did.

Personally, I think Harris did it just to piss people off and to make the movie that much harder to make.

Last edited by movielib; 11-15-03 at 11:53 PM.
Old 11-16-03, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Originally posted by Giantrobo
I disagree.

Spoiler:
I'm in agreement.

Spoiler:

First, the ending pissed off a lot of people because they read books like this -- the psychological thriller -- to comfort them. Having the cop/FBI agent/"hero" catch the "bad guy" at the end of the book reinforces their comfortable, middle-class worldview.

What Harris did, with the end of "Hannibal," was effectively tell those people to **** off.

And, I believe I'm one of the few people who actually realizes that Hannibal Lecter is pretty much the hero (or, ant-hero, if you must) of all of the books he appears in. He's like Dracula -- he's the guy you secretly root for. Hannibal is ruthless, amoral, brilliant, cultured -- he's who we would all secretly like to be. Why be the henpecked junior FBI agent, or the veteran profiler who's been dicked around the press and bureau?Hannibal may be locked up, but he knows they can't keep him. He accepts it as a challenge, and he's sitting there, biding his time, planning and plotting, until an opportunity to regain his freedom shows itself.

And, in the final pages of "Hannibal," Lecter was able to defeat (or liberate) Clarice because he was ultimately stronger and smarter than she. He broke her down and forced her to finally give in to her demons. She was another challenge, not unlike his escape from custody.
Old 11-16-03, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, you just wrote the ending better than Harris did, Josh. I guess it could have worked for me, even with my comfortable, middle-class worldview , but the chapter just felt rushed as hell, like it was thrown together in haste. For such a radical turn of events, I don't know, I guess I'd like to have seen it developed a little more fully rather than just having it thrown out there like it was. The writing in that chapter (forget the chain of events, I'm just talking the writing, the narrative itself), is, I believe, so subpar to anything else Harris has written before. A very sorry note to end on, I think.
Old 11-19-03, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Its pretty well know that Harris indeed was pissed off because the publisher forced him to hurry the novel..so he just ended it that way to piss everybody off...its semi-interesting but wholly unbelievable.
Old 11-19-03, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by chanster
Its pretty well know that Harris indeed was pissed off because the publisher forced him to hurry the novel..so he just ended it that way to piss everybody off...its semi-interesting but wholly unbelievable.
Poor guy was so rushed, it took him eight years. IIRC, he missed several contractual deadlines as it was.
Old 11-21-03, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have read this book twice. The film kinda stunk. The book's ending is great.... Poor Barney.
Old 11-24-03, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by rfduncan
.... Poor Barney.

Yeah no kidding

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.