Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

To Kill A Mockingbird

Old 10-30-03, 04:54 PM

To Kill A Mockingbird

I'm reading "To Kill A Mockingbird" and it's pretty interesting. Anyone read it? If you did, i'd like to hear your opinion and comments on it.
Old 10-30-03, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

IMHO, one of the best books of the century.

I wished she'd written another one...
Old 10-30-03, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quite possibly the best book i have ever read. and also one of the greatest movie adaptations too.
Old 10-31-03, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Great book and great movie.
Old 10-31-03, 09:12 AM

Re: To Kill A Mockingbird

I'd say this is one of the best books I've ever read. Definately in my all-time top ten. Hell, I'll even go so far as to say this: TKAM is one of the most important books of the 20th century.

Ratchet, welcome to the forum. I would recommend that if you've never read A Time To Kill by Grisham, to do so after you've finished this. They tie in very well together, IMHO.
Old 10-31-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I recently re-read after not reading it since high school (a good 10 years or so). I was astounded at the depth of the ideas I hadn't picked up on back then. This is truly a classic of literature that will be remembered for centuries to come.
Old 10-31-03, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Absolutely a stunning book. No doubt.
Old 10-31-03, 08:32 PM

I guess I'm in the minority. I thought the book was pretty overrated. Don't get me wrong, it was an enjoyable read. But it is nowhere near one of the best books I've ever read.
Old 10-31-03, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Originally posted by Beaver
I guess I'm in the minority. I thought the book was pretty overrated. Don't get me wrong, it was an enjoyable read. But it is nowhere near one of the best books I've ever read.
You're right, you're in the minority.

Last edited by movielib; 10-31-03 at 11:34 PM.
Old 11-01-03, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by movielib
You're right, you're in the minority.
Definitely, when I was in school I finished this entire book the first weekend we were given it to read instead of taking three weeks and ending up using Cliff Notes like I did with most books I was suppose to read in high school.

Maybe the best book I ever read next to 1984.
Old 11-03-03, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Great book. One of those that, in my experience in school as a student or teacher, that very few kids do not like. Interesting characters, interesting plot, and a tackling of issues in a seemingly simple, yet complicated manner.
Old 11-04-03, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We had two books to read and do major discussion on in 8th grade. Shane and To Kill a Mockingbird. It was like pulling teeth to read Shane. I read way ahead in TKAMB.

I've since re-read it and it was just as powerful. Great book.
Old 11-04-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by BoatDrinks
IMHO, one of the best books of the century.

I wished she'd written another one...
One of those great, horribly unproveable rumors out there is that Lee didn't actually write the book; it was actually Truman Capote, and that he was helping Lee out which is why she never published anything else of note.
Old 11-04-03, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Originally posted by TheDude
One of those great, horribly unproveable rumors out there is that Lee didn't actually write the book; it was actually Truman Capote, and that he was helping Lee out which is why she never published anything else of note.
I thought of posting this but have refrained. I have no idea if there is actually any evidence for this.

Capote was a childhood friend of Lee's and is thought to be the basis for the character, Dill.
Old 11-04-03, 06:40 PM

I read this book in High School and again in College (For a Fiction to Film class) and I have to say this ranks as one of my top, if not the top, book in my opinion.

I was always a big fan of the following quote, which sums up my views on religion, perfectly:
"There are just some kind of men who-who're so busy worrying about the next world they've never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results."
Old 11-04-03, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is a timeless book that changes as you read it later in life. Harper Lee wrote a masterpiece of American Literature. A close friend of mine has a personally autographed copy. I would consider that to be a treasure. Try reading it aloud with a loved one.

Other books that have a profound impact on me:

Lord of the Flies
One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish
Old 11-05-03, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by TheDude
If you've read any of her essays and articles you most likely wouldn't buy into this rumor.

I like John Updike's quote about whether Lee was a real writer or not: All you must do to know Harper Lee is a truly gifted writer is to speak with her for five minutes.

Harper Lee never wrote for profit or the public. She was 3/4 of the way through her second novel (in the mid-60's) when the president appointed her to the National Council of the Arts. There were several publishers vying for her manuscript and--according to Lee--they were so bloodthirsty about it that she felt it would negatively affect her new position which she took very seriosuly.

She often spoke out about how the money and fame in the publishing world was helping to destroy American literature.

This is my favorite Harper Lee quotes re: writing:

People who write for reward by way of recognition or monetary gain don't know what they're doing. They're in the category of those who write; they are not writers.

Writing is simply something you must do. It's rather like virtue in that it is its own reward. Writing is selfish and contradictory in its terms. Any writer worth his salt writes to please himself. He writes not to communicate with other people, but to communicate more assuredly with himself. It's a self-exploratory operation that is endless. An exorcism of not necessarily his demon, but of his divine discontent.
Old 11-07-03, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Of all the books I was forced to read in high school, this was, by far, my favorite. Count of Monte Cristo was a close second. Most of the other stuff (Jane Eyre, The Scarlett Letter, Oliver Twist, ETC.) was pure crap in my mind. These are not the type of books you should force kids to read. Especially when you are trying to foster the enjoyment of reading.
Old 11-12-03, 01:04 PM

I have a question about this story. I have not read this book, but I have watched the movie. Atticus' children always refer to him by his first name. Is it ever explained in the novel why? Finch is a very respectable man, and I would think he would teach his children not to call adults by their first name, especially their own father.
Old 11-12-03, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't think of the specific reasons, but it's not out of disrespect for their father, more like he tries to treat them as equals.
Old 11-13-03, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I believe Truman Capote was actually Lee's cousin, but they were close enough to be considered friends.

"To Kill a Mockingbird" doesn't really seem to be written in Capote's voice, at any rate. (I remember, when I was twelve or so, Stephen King was "outed" as publishing books under the "Richard Bachman" pseudonym, and I was shocked when I read those books at just how King-like the books were. It either had to be him writing them, or a bloody incredible simulation.)

Since they were acquaintances and both writers, it wouldn't surprise me if he might've given her a little advice every now and then, or even she to him.
Old 07-26-19, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thread bump!!

I finished this yesterday. Somehow, it was never part of my curriculum during school, so I had never read it. But, wow! Once I got past the shock of the n-word (honestly, I can't see how it would be avoided given the setting, but Political Correctness in 2019 is so pervasive that it really is jarring now to see the word) I was totally engaged. I usually set aside a short period of time each day for reading, but found myself "binging". A very enjoyable experience!
Old 07-26-19, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Glad you enjoyed it, it's truly a classic.

Now, has anybody read Go Set a Watchman, the "prequel" ?

I bought a used copy a while back but never got around to reading it.
Old 07-27-19, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Glad you enjoyed it, it's truly a classic.

Now, has anybody read Go Set a Watchman, the "prequel" ?

I bought a used copy a while back but never got around to reading it.
I did not enjoy it as much, it was interesting to read once but I canít see myself reading it again unlike To Kill a Mockingbird which I end up reading usually once a year.
Old 07-28-19, 11:21 PM

I’d skip it. I only got about halfway through it. The Atticus of that book is very different than the one from TKAM. He’s got that “just a product of the times” casual racism going on.

I personally think that a better follow-up book would be Grisham’s A Time to Kill.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.