Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Cool new Amazon search

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-03, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool new Amazon search

Link
From Amazon: A significant extension of our groundbreaking Look Inside the Book feature, Search Inside the Book allows you to search millions of pages to find exactly the book you want to buy. Now instead of just displaying books whose title, author, or publisher-provided keywords match your search terms, your search results will surface titles based on every word inside the book. Using Search Inside the Book is as simple as running an Amazon.com search.
Old 10-24-03, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I loath the new search, when I used to search for "Jack Staff" to see if it was in stock, I would get three results, none of them the book I want. Now when I search I get 10,000 results.

Really handy.
Old 10-30-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What a nightmare. I don't see any way to limit the search to title or anything. So if I know the title of the book - or a word of it, I have to go through 2000+ listings to find it. This is an awful change unless they give us the choice of the old one back in addition.
Old 10-30-03, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sucks.
Old 10-30-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
You can do a more limited search, but it isn't easy. Go to books, then click on "More search options." And you can search easier there. Still, that's about three steps more than the old method.

Boy, I sure hope they add this feature to DVDs, letting us searchin through every word in a movie.
Old 10-30-03, 03:23 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Yeah, I don't much care for this.
Old 10-31-03, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,888 Posts
They're going to get their asses sued.

Here's one author who's mighty pissed about this amazing new feature: http://www.caitlinrkiernan.com/journal.html

From the 10-28 entry:

After reviewing my contract for Threshold, to be sure that what I thought was true was true, that Roc had to ask my permission before licensing any electronic version of the novel, I spoke with my agent, who spoke with my publisher. Turns out, my publisher specifically requested that their books not be included in Amazon.com's searchable database, but Amazon did it anyway. How sweet. And illegal.
And, as a user, I just want to add that this new search is a huge f***ing pain in the ass. It's so fun to enter an obscure book title and get 10,000 hits.