Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

"Complete Peanuts" coming out next year

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-03, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,984 Likes on 2,035 Posts
"Complete Peanuts" coming out next year

Since I'm sure that some here will be interested...

Well, it appears that hell has indeed frozen over, and we can look forward to "The Complete Peanuts" coming out from the fine folks at Fantagraphics. The official announcement hasn't been made yet, but the project is being discussed on the Comics Journal message board:

http://www.tcj.com/messboard/ubb/For...ML/005734.html

Pertinent quotes from Fantagraphics employees:

Dirk Deppey:
Okay, I just talked to Gary, and I have permission to end speculation now. We'll be making the formal announcement later this week, but -- yeah, we're doing the Complete Peanuts series.
You would not believe how long this one has been in negotiations...
Eric Reynolds:
Though Schulz's modesty prevented him from being enthusiastic about it, Schulz did give Gary his blessing to pursue this with United Media before he passed, and Jeannie Schulz is behind us 100 percent. It's gonna rock. More details soon, we just need a few days to catch up from SPX and prepare our fall Fall-Winter 2003-2004 catalog for W.W. Norton. I appreciate everyone's patience!
Real quick: two years per book, 25 books, 12 1/2 years, hardcover but cheap.
Kim Thompson:
Briefly:

$28.95 per book. Subscriptions at reduced rates and/or with special goodies for subscribers will be offered before the year is out.

Jaime is not a book designer by training or inclination.

Sundays will be printed in black and white -- by common consensus color brought very little to the strip, and this way every mark on the paper is Schulz's. All the PEANUTS books I loved as a kid were black and white.

Source material is beautiful, clean syndicate proofs (or originals) for all but a very few strips.

First release April, 2004.
Old 09-09-03, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome news. This will probably sell like mad. With good reason too.
Old 09-10-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 515 Likes on 338 Posts
Wow, terrific news. I've been collecting the Complete Crumb books that Fanatagraphics have been putting it, and they've been doing a terrific job. I hope they include in the Complete Peanuts some of the staples in the Complete Crumb (such as nice introductions by the artists peers, context provided for certain works, including non-comic strip stuff like doodles and artwork done for advertisement.)

I remember devouring Peanuts when I was younger. In the last couple of years I've rediscovered them. My father had a whole bunch of the earliest booklets I aquired recently (see Snoopy walk on all fours, see Linus the infant). I'm really looking forward to getting a look at this new collection.

And since there's no sense making a post unless you're gonna include a complaint, I'd like to add that wish it was going to be softcover. I really hate hardcover books. I cannot lay in bed or lounge on the couch with a hardcover. It makes the book feel unfriendly.
Old 09-15-03, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent news! Not a big fan of hardcover, but it may do
Old 09-16-03, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,058 Posts
I was hoping for one huge compendium, but this will do nicely. 12 1/2 years
Old 09-16-03, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by milo bloom
That's the one thing the worries me... How many of us will care enough to buy the rest in 12 years?
Old 09-16-03, 11:22 PM
Banned

Received 377 Likes on 296 Posts
I'll wait for the movie.
Old 09-17-03, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 515 Likes on 338 Posts
Originally posted by CKMorpheus
That's the one thing the worries me... How many of us will care enough to buy the rest in 12 years?
Not too many. But to be honest, if all 25 volumes were available tomorrow and money was no object, I probebly wouldn't pick up any books beyond the late '70's. Schultz was doing this strip for what, 50 years? It didn't exactly stay top of the game forever.

I'm really exciting about the earliest strips, of which I only have a few collections. I liked the interaction between the characters, and the artwork was much more interesting. Schultz was drawing more locations and surrounding objects, even doing different perspectives. I like that a lot better then four panels of heads resting atop that brick wall.

I'm really interested in seeing how the stip evolved from what it was like then (Linus a baby, Snoopy is a normal non-talking dog) to the strip most of us are familar with.
Old 09-17-03, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by milo bloom
That would be one HUGE compendium!

I'll have to see how I feel when it comes out.

I hate when I commit to something like this and then the publisher stops releasing the books halfway through due to declining sales. I don't know that it would happen with Peanuts though.
Old 09-17-03, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,058 Posts
What do they mean by the Sunday's not being in color? Did Schulz not color them himself?
Old 09-23-03, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,562 Likes on 990 Posts
I'm in. At least for the strips from the 50s and 60s.

Fantagraphics is doing a really nice job on Krazy Kat. I've been buying those for more than ten years. I can handle a slow release schedule.