Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Chuck Palahniuk - news, reviews, discussion, recommendations etc

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-02, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the info.

i finished lullaby today, while i enjoyed it i was a bit dissapointed... my least favorite of all of his books so far.

what did anyone else think?
Old 10-07-02, 02:34 AM

If anyone is in Philadeplhia and is a fan, he is coming to the Penn bookstore to sign Lullaby, do a reading, and discuss this and other works. 7pm. 34th and Walnut!
Old 10-07-02, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

dangit, he was in raleigh/durham last week
Old 10-09-02, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked Lullaby, just read it yesterday, not his best work but I've got nothing negative to say about it. I mostly enjoy his style of writing anyway. Do you think that newspaper class action ads thing is true? I see those all the time. Also notice in his stories how one of the charachters has some kind of oral injury ie; Fight Club, Invisible Montsers and Lullaby?
Old 10-11-02, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 243 Likes on 145 Posts
I loved Fight Club, but none of his other books have grabbed me the same. I did like Lullaby a great deal more than Invisible Monsters and Choke. Haven't read Survivor yet.

BTW, I didn't know until recently, his last name is pronounced "paula-nick."
Old 10-11-02, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Survivor is by far the best (but I haven't read lullaby yet)
Old 10-12-02, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally posted by moorehed
dangit, he was in raleigh/durham last week
nope, Chapel Hill ;p

I was working, but there was a pretty big crowd downstairs listening to him. Course it was nothing compared to yesterday when Bruce "The Man" Campbell was here. I got 2 books signed. Very nice. Just wish I had been able to get a seat while he was talking. Musta been a good 400-500 people crammed in the downstairs of the store.

Tuan Jim
Old 10-13-02, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

cool! didn't know you lived around here. what you do in CH-h? you see us stomp the tarholes yesterday?
Old 10-13-02, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally posted by moorehed
cool! didn't know you lived around here. what you do in CH-h? you see us stomp the tarholes yesterday?
Yeah, didn't watch cuz I was working on some other stuff. Our team is the suck. Morons can stay ahead for the first half then they completely lose it -- every single time. Seems the only way we can win is to play an away game.

Tuan Jim
Old 10-15-02, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally posted by Nefarious
Actually, he does a lot of research before he writes his books. I think most of the stuff he puts in there are legit.

Probably just picked up that book from the info-mercial about how to clean practically anything!
I actually know where he got this info.

I just saw him speak a week or two ago and he said he got all of that info from listening to the two Beavis and Butthead cleaning guys who were cleaning up his new apartment (house?) before he moved in. Apparently they both also cleaned up after crime scenes. While they were there they were discussing various stains and how to remove them.
Old 10-17-02, 01:16 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

While reading Choke, I was curious if the facts that the mom said were true. She was insane so I assume he just made up most of that stuff, but I think some of it was real.
Old 08-27-03, 01:24 AM
Banned

Which other Chuck Palahniuk books do you recommend?

I've been reading like a lunatic lately and (after I finish another Dan Brown book) I'm out of material. I loved Fight Club, so I thought I would try another Palahniuk book. Any recommendations?
Old 08-27-03, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All of them:

Survivor
Invisible Monsters
Choke
Lullaby
Diary

Read Survivor next.
Old 08-27-03, 06:30 PM
bcd

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts
I'd go with Survivor then Choke
Old 08-28-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you like palahniuk, try Douglas Coupland: Generation X and Girlfriend in a Coma, specifically.
Old 08-29-03, 03:26 AM
Banned

I've got Survivor on the way...
Old 08-29-03, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also, if you like Palhniuk, when you run out of books you ought to check out Stephen Dixon.
Old 08-29-03, 11:59 PM
Banned

I might have read something by Stephen Dixon a few years back. Intersection, I think it was called. Is that Stephen Dixon?
Old 08-30-03, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Billman
I might have read something by Stephen Dixon a few years back. Intersection, I think it was called. Is that Stephen Dixon?
Yeah, I haven't actually read that one, but I have Frog and it's pretty interesting. He, like Palahniuk has a very unique style of writing.
Old 08-30-03, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

read em all except Invisible Monsters. This book was not good at all in my opinion.

i love his stuff but sometimes i have a hard time dealing with the lack of rules he lays out in his sotries...i dont believe everything his characters do because of this.
Old 08-31-03, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Survivor is the best of the three I've read (FC and Choke being the other two).
Old 09-02-03, 11:18 AM

Survivor

Not forgetting Survivor's hidden ending. Check out Chuck's website.
Old 09-12-03, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So far my favorite is "Choke", mainly because i'm a fellow member of S.A.A(i guess i should'nt openly admit to that according to the rules, but i have no problem with it).
The greatest thing about Chuck is his never ending knowledge about the weirdest(and some would say useless) crap. To the anarchist stuff in Fight Club(which i think he had to replace a lot of things so people wouldn't know exactly how to blow up a building)to the weird cleaning techniques(like how to clean a microwave and filling bullet holes in a wall in a hurry) in "Survivor". And then there is the sexual slang in "Invisible Monsters".
When did diary come out i haven't even heard of that.
Lullaby is great as well but i found it to be much different than anything else that he has ever written.
I started reading J.G. Ballard because someone on the CP bb. And i loved Crash. Another recommendation is Nicholson Baker. He is much different than Chuck, but he's another author i got off of the CP forum. Vox is my favorite, the whole story is a guy talking to a woman he met on one of the sex phonelines. Again very different in writing style than Chuck but still worth checking out.
Old 09-23-03, 04:00 PM

So far, CHOKE is my favourite Palahniuk book but I'm really enjoying LULLABY, which I'm currently reading. I read Douglas Coupland's GENERATION X and thought it was okay. (The chararcters were just a wee bit whiney to be as pretentious as they were...) If you enjoy something totally out there, pick up some Kurt Vonnegut. Start with SLAPSTICK and you'll be "lonesome no more!"
Old 09-24-03, 12:00 PM

sorry to be offtopic, but does anyone have the audioblog that was removed from http://www.chuckpalahniuk.net recently?

apparently chuck came out of the closet and has been living with a man for 11 years secretely. he came out since some reporter was blackmailing him about it possibly... but i think he was afraid it would happen sooner or later anyone so he wanted to let his fans know from him first.

i just wanna hear it myself, since it was removed because his publisher wasn't happy with his harse words about the reporter who was blackmailing him???

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.