Dark Eye: films of David Fincher

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 07-14-03, 11:04 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

Just saw that this was released and was wondering if anyone had seen it.

is it typical of the "films of..." series where they have a ton of stills and very little information? Does it have interviews with Fincher and cast/crew?

Curious...

Last edited by benedict; 07-14-03 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-19-03, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The first book I've ever preordered! Had it for a couple of weeks and it's great! The information is compiled from other sources and interviews with cast, crew and the man himself. Not many pictures, but Fincher's stories and reflection on his work is amazing!

From the back, "Featuring reports from behind-the-scenes and commentary from actors, writers and production staff, Dark Eye also includes extensive material from exclusive interviews with David Fincher." Even more incredible, it's true!

It's 192 pages and the chapters are broken up as follows:

Dark and Light
About Fincher growing up and how he got interested in film. His influences, etc. Also discusses his work pre-Alien 3. ie. music videos and commercials.

Third in Line
The making of Alien 3. Reveals how he was just a director for hire and in-depth descriptions of the infamous problems behind the scenes. Even talks about the upcoming Alien Qudrilogy, it's that recent!

Deadly Sins
Reflections on "Seven".

A Player
Making "The Game".

Hit Me
Fight Club, obviously. (Haven't gotten this far yet)

House Arrest
Panic Room.

Fincher's Future
(Skipped to here!) Talks about the projects currently on his plate and how he would approach them. They include: Chemical Pink (he only wants to produce, quote "Chemical Pink is a movie that I'm hoping Jonas Akerland is going to direct", Fertig, Hard Boiled, Mank, The Reincarnation of Peter Proud (noted as being on the backburner for the foreseeable future) and Rendevous With Rama. He pulled out of M:I-3 to do "a skateboard movie" (Lords of Dogtown, which has since been abandoned apparently). A few more names are tossed around but only fleetingly.

A great book! Go buy it now! 5/5

Edited to add: On reflection this post could have sounded like a plant! I'm no way related to the author, the publisher or anything like that. It's just a great book about a person who, I think, is the greatest living director!

Last edited by Skank; 07-19-03 at 10:54 AM.