Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Help wanted locating / finding title of a childrens' / teen book [various merged]

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Help wanted locating / finding title of a childrens' / teen book [various merged]

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-04, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like they merged my thread. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 02-22-04, 06:38 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<small>
Originally posted by shaun3000
Anyone have any ideas?
</small>Yes.

After a deftly-worded search I am pleased to announce that I have come up with... [ fan-fare]....The boy's name is Calvin and, yes, there is a Wayside School series.
Old 02-22-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, I thought it was an older book than that. haha. Why do I remember that? Wow...

Thanks!
Old 01-26-05, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help finding the name of a children's book from the 80's

I have been searching everywhere for anything to trigger my memory about the name of this book. It was my favorite book growing up, I am 26 now and would love to purchase it for my nieces. I only remember bits and pieces about it- but I hope its enough for someone to help me figure out the name.
ok here goes: I remember it was about 4 kids (2 boys,2 girls) who had a secret detective club. The book itself had several different chapters in it, which were all different mysteries. I thought one of them was about a comic book caper, or something.... and then the one that sticks out the most was the last chapter in the book, and it was about the gang dealing with Halloween. There was a part in it that talked about a party and they touched the different bowls of gooey body parts (spaghetti was hair, peeled grapes were eyeballs, etc) Then when they go trick or treating they have to solve the mystery about who stole the candy bars. The only other thing I remember was at the beginning of the book, each character had a picture drawing of them and their names werer under their faces. Any help at all would be appreciated! THANKS!!!!
Old 01-30-05, 05:53 AM
Mod Emeritus

I mentioned rec.arts.books.childrens in an earlier post. If you run with it, I'd suggest that you use a subject title there along the following lines:

ID short story collection about kids secret detective club inc. Halloween mystery

Then include your other recollections [summarised from your above post] in the body of the newsgroup post. If you don't have a newsreader or generally use newsgroups I'd suggest Google with the proviso that you use a throwaway or despammed type address to avoid being deluged with junk mail.
Old 03-09-05, 04:08 PM

Need title of a book from my childhood

I am trying to find out the title of a book I read while living in England in the mid 80's. It is most likely a young adult book...

It took place in the UK after technology stopped working. For some reason I think the protagonists are Indian or Pakistani. I remember that cars and such either didnt work or attacked.
IT was in the same line as the tripods trilogy and others like that. Any help would be appreciated.!!!!!
Old 03-09-05, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Aaron Campagnone
I am trying to find out the title of a book I read while living in England in the mid 80's. It is most likely a young adult book...

It took place in the UK after technology stopped working. For some reason I think the protagonists are Indian or Pakistani. I remember that cars and such either didnt work or attacked.
IT was in the same line as the tripods trilogy and others like that. Any help would be appreciated.!!!!!
Probably not - but is is Day of the Triffids?

I was going to say The Tripods but you already mentioned it...
Old 03-09-05, 06:20 PM
Mod Emeritus

http://www.peterdickinson.com/Biblio_YA.html#Changes

Peter Dickinson's The Changes trilogy.
Old 03-10-05, 07:22 AM

Thanks...thats it!!!!!!!
Old 03-10-05, 11:04 PM

I'm trying to find a children's book based on the "Them Bones" song. I don't remeber the the title and I cannot seem to find it under the title Them Bones.

The book is totally illustrated and features a singing and dancing skeleton

Is this it?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
Old 04-23-05, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 647 Likes on 465 Posts
ok how about a book i read was about
a kid who lost a finger and he was a pitcher and developed a really crazy pitch and became a great pitcher because he only had 3 fingers,
or something like that
Old 11-15-05, 08:02 AM

"Where The Wild Things Are" By: Maurice Sendak (1988)

This childrens book is currently being sold on Ebay.com
Old 11-15-05, 09:43 PM

I remember readin a book in the 5th grade but I can't remember the title. I do remember some of the characters though. The antagonist was Hemlock and there was a character named "Ardis in the lake" or something like that. It was kind of a magical book with gnomes and different characters like that. does anybody have any idea what it was called?
Old 05-29-06, 02:22 AM

help remember a book from childhood...

Hi there; just hoping to get some help remembering a book I read years and years ago.

I thought it was called "The Juniper Tree" but that hasn't yielded any results online...so here's the plot: a young girl who can draw future events is recruited to a school with other psychic teens. Something something something, there's these crystals, evil scientist types try to use the psychic teens energy to perform some evil plot.

Thanks a bunch for all your help, I'll finally be able to sleep!

-blam
Old 05-29-06, 03:59 AM
Mod Emeritus

Dotti Enderle ?

It doesn't meet all the criteria but there are some "hits" on this one:

http://www.spiralnature.com/reviews/book/enderled.html
http://www.llewellyn.com/teen/author.php?id=45114
Old 06-22-06, 04:42 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by laceykaye
I remember readin a book in the 5th grade but I can't remember the title. I do remember some of the characters though. The antagonist was Hemlock and there was a character named "Ardis in the lake" or something like that. It was kind of a magical book with gnomes and different characters like that. does anybody have any idea what it was called?

"The Search for Delicious" by Natalie Babbitt.
Old 06-22-06, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 647 Likes on 465 Posts
Originally Posted by whotony
ok how about a book i read was about
a kid who lost a finger and he was a pitcher and developed a really crazy pitch and became a great pitcher because he only had 3 fingers,
or something like that

thoughts?
Old 06-24-06, 08:14 AM
Mod Emeritus

whotony, I'd searched for a reference to the book you are looking for but came up with nothing. My usual suggestion is to try the newsgroups where other people might be able to assist. Here is what was posted said some time ago in this thread:
Originally Posted by Holly E. Ordway
Try posting on Usenet, on rec.arts.books.childrens - there are a lot of regulars on that newsgroup who are *amazing* at identifying books based on very small hints!

When you post, put "ID" and something descriptive in the subject line, like "ID: halloween theme, boy visits grampa, sees monsters", and then in the actual post, put as much information as you can about what you remember - what you posted here is great (since it includes when you saw it).

I bet you'll get some suggestions!
Originally Posted by benedict
If you don't have any luck here I would recommend reposting your query on the newsgroup rec.arts.books.childrens

If you don't already use newsgroups, you might be better doing this via Google. Remember to use a throwaway webmail address to deflect spam/UCE!
When I looked online a few days ago, all I found was a list of books about "challenged" young athletes by Matt Christopher. None quite seemed to match your criteria but you are welcome to scroll down to the list from the following site: http://www.yourlibrary.ws/childrens_...uthor82000.htm

Last edited by benedict; 06-24-06 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-24-06, 08:54 AM
Mod Emeritus

My brother just mentioned the BookSleuth, part of Abebooks of which I was hitherto unaware.

It includes a section where you can ask about childrens' books: http://forums.abebooks.com/abesleuthcom
Old 11-17-06, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Need help locating a children's book

I remember it has pigs in it, and maybe some other animals, too. The basic story line is that this pig lives in an apartment and has so much stuff that it causes the ceiling to crack and break a tea cup in the apartment below her. The two pigs that live below march upstairs and demand that she get rid of all of her junk. She the pig takes it all outside and has like a yard sale and then her apartment is all empty. The other two pigs feel guilty about what they did and so they all end up having tea together.

I know it probably seems strange to you all but it's important to me to find this book. I don't remember the name of it but I do seem to recall that the one pig is named Petunia.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-18-06, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone?
Old 11-27-06, 03:16 PM

Help With Title of Children's Book?

I have asked everyone I have ever met. In third grade or so (1984/85), our teacher read us a book or story within a book about a family that decided to stop cleaning their house. Dirt started to pile up, and plants and trees started growing in their house. Pretty soon the inside was just like the outside world. I have searched all over and can not find out anything about this book. Any help? Thanks.
Old 12-31-06, 06:42 PM
Mod Emeritus

Maybe some new Book Talkers have some insight into the titles that blamjackel, whotony, Kittydreamer and DVDpackrat are still seeking....?
Old 01-08-07, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 967 Likes on 683 Posts
I have one. This is going to be a stretch because I don't have a whole lot to go off of.

The book I'm looking for won one of those Silver Medal awards in 2004. So it was on the cover. The book was about a bunny and I only remember one page where he was trying to fly a kite. The art style was very unique, and every page had a thick black border on it.

Anyone?
Old 01-08-07, 05:38 PM
Mod Emeritus

http://www.lookingglassreview.com/html/blank61.html

It doesn't exactly meet the criteria but how about "My Friend Rabbit"?
My Friend Rabbit
Eric Rohmann
Picture Book
Ages 4 to 7
Roaring Brook Press, 2002, 1-59643-080-X
Rabbit is the kind of fellow who is a truly wonderful friend and who really does mean to do the best thing. The problem is that the results of his actions often fail to meet up to his good intentions. On this particular occasion he has thrown - quite my accident of course - Mouse?s airplane into a high tree and now Mouse is in tears because he cannot get his airplane down.
Rabbit is not the kind of animal to give up however. He has an idea and races off to get help. One by one he brings a collection of animals over to the tree. He drags in an elephant by the tail; he pushes a rhino across the ground; he carries a hippo, a deer, a crocodile, a bear, and a goose. Then Rabbit stacks up all these poor creatures to try to reach the airplane on its high branch. Alas the pile of animals is still not quite high enough until Mouse joins in. Then, though the airplane is retrieved, Rabbit finds himself in yet another pickle.
This is a delightfully warm and funny tribute to a wonderful character and to true friendship. Though there can be no doubt that Rabbit has a tendency to get himself into trouble, one cannot help admiring him for his creativity and determination to fix the problems he creates.
Beautiful block print style illustrations in bold colors show Rabbit racing from page to page, carrying the reader ever onward. Startled characters (or parts of characters) appear as Rabbit cajoles them across a simple grassy scene. As the book is mostly wordless this is a story which will particularly delight children who are still novice readers.
This unique picture book won the 2003 Caldecott Medal for best picture book of the year.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.