Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Good writers: Are they good writers?

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 06-11-03, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering today about something. I can't write business letters for **** and my grammatical insticts are pretty shafty at best but every now and then I can come up with a pretty good sentence and even sometimes a good story...well written.

My point is...do you think the so-called good/great writers really had good grammar???or could write worth a damn in other aspects?
Old 06-11-03, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, I do. Even the writers who "break the rules" and use colloquial language and incorrect grammar... had to know how to use the language correctly first. Words, sentences, paragraphs, punctuation, grammar -- these are the tools of the trade for a writer, and they're essential.

I can occasionally draw a little sketch that comes out really nicely, but that doesn't mean that professional artists have the same (lack of) drawing skills that I have. If I were to try to draw on a regular basis, or to draw something new or complicated, it would be obvious that I don't have the understanding of anatomy, or shading and perspective, and so on, that a real artist needs.

On the other hand, it's worth noting that writing is many things. Business letters and poetry call for very different approaches, obviously! A good business writer and a good poet are both good writers, even though they couldn't handle the other one's style.

But on the whole, a good understanding of grammar is pretty essential for any type of writing, whether it's creative or technical. Fortunately, that's something that can be learned.
Old 06-11-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have corresponded with a number of writers over the years. Generally, as you might expect, they are good writers in areas besides books (letters, emails, interviews, etc.). I have seen a few writers who made for poor correspondents, but they're the minority.

Editors, on the other hand....oh boy. Some of these folks are the worst communicators on earth. I have heard from some (people at major newspapers, for example) who couldn't write their way out of a paper bag.
Old 06-13-03, 10:36 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Go read anything by Gene Wolfe. His command over the English language is staggering.