Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code - opinions / thoughts ? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-03, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Da Vincci Code -- Has Anyone Read It?

I saw it in the bookstore and I scanned the summary and it sounded pretty interesting. I looked it up on Amazon and it has pretty decent reviews (for whatever that's worth).

Has anyone here read it? What did you think?
Old 06-05-03, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Dan Brown's books are amazing. A great mix of information and mystery. This was the first of his books I read and really enjoyed it. Its a solid thriller thats full of information that will really make you think about Christianity and take a second and third look at Da Vinci's work. I enjoyed it so much I read Angels and Demons and Deception Point right after.

I highly recommend it. Its one of the few number one best sellers that actually deserves the sales numbers.
Old 06-06-03, 03:28 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some related chat here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=290112
Old 06-07-03, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just finished it a few days ago. Great book, but the ending was kind of limp IMO.
Old 06-07-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by darkside
Dan Brown's books are amazing. A great mix of information and mystery. This was the first of his books I read and really enjoyed it. Its a solid thriller thats full of information that will really make you think about Christianity and take a second and third look at Da Vinci's work. I enjoyed it so much I read Angels and Demons and Deception Point right after.

I highly recommend it. Its one of the few number one best sellers that actually deserves the sales numbers.
This post sums it up for me also, except I'm just about to read Deception Point. Angels and Demons was also excellent.

The Da Vinci Code made me get a book of his paintings, and when you really look at the main painting that's one of the main issues in the book (don't want to spoil it), it's amazing how obvious the truth is.

Hey, I spent two years in Catholic boarding school starting in third grade, and I've always said that's what made me "relergic" ........ (allergic to organized religion).
Old 06-09-03, 01:23 PM
Banned

I've no desire to read the book, it didn't look that cool, or like it containing anthing I didn't already know. But the web quest thingy was pretty entertaining for about 15 minutes of puzzle solving.

http://www.thedavincicode.com
Old 06-09-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Over here. Best book I've read this year so far. I've gone back and re-read some of the facts in it since I finished it and now whenever I see something from the Renaissance era, I look for any symbolism. I've also read Angels and Demons, and that one made me want to go on an Illuminati pilgrimage when I go to Rome. It's so cool that everything in the book is still there for us readers to really see.

That webquest thing is a killer! I got stumped at the 7th gate though. Anyone else tried it yet? I also heard that the first guy who cracked it will be a character in the next Brown novel which deals with the Freemasons. I can't wait for it.
Old 06-09-03, 08:02 PM

how do you do the 2nd gate arghhhh lol
Old 06-09-03, 08:18 PM

whats the account number?!? =P
Old 06-10-03, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Chim
whats the account number?!? =P
Oh come on. That's one of the easiest!
Old 06-10-03, 11:42 AM

i dont have the book
Old 06-10-03, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Chim
i dont have the book
Oh...um, ok I'll give you this one: 1123581321

Old 06-10-03, 02:09 PM
Banned

That's the only one that you really need the book for. I found a clue through google about that part of the book involving Fibbonacci, and then it was easy.
Old 06-20-03, 10:51 AM

Great book but kind of a lame payoff for finishing the web quest. I think I liked Angels And Demons a little better. The Da Vinci Code is and interesting read. It will leave with alot to think about and discuss. Starting on Deception Point now and so far I'm enjoying it.
Old 07-01-03, 09:06 AM
Banned

Just finished the DaVinci Code and I thought it was kind of lame. The theory has been out for some time, but even if it was true, it still wouldn't diminish what really controls people - the idea of whether God exists or not. I was expecting some major twist at the end, but instead, it was pretty ho-hum, IMO.

And so predictable. As I was reading I was like, this will probably happen, and then it did. It was like take everything the opposite of what it appeared to be and you had the story pretty much figured out.

If you watch Discovery or TLC, there's nothing new there.

I'm reading Umberto Eco now and it's a little more upscale. Brown's work reads fast, but it's not nearly as intellectually challenging as reading Eco.
Old 07-09-03, 08:51 AM
Cool New Member

I really enjoyed this book, though it doesn't seem like many people here liked it. The ending didn't seem predictable to me, really. No more so than any other mystery story that you'd read. I think the ending suited the purpose.
Old 07-09-03, 09:33 AM
Cool New Member

On that webgame thing, what password am I looking for from Jonas Faukman?

Last edited by CloudsMountain; 07-09-03 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-09-03, 09:34 AM
Cool New Member

Nevermind, I got it. Pretty cool concept for a webgame. I'm looking forward to Brown's next novels.

Last edited by CloudsMountain; 07-09-03 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-09-03, 10:45 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I'm reading Angels & Demons right now and it is simply amazing. This guy can write!!!

I plan on reading The Da Vincci Code ASAP!
Old 07-09-03, 10:54 AM
Cool New Member

I'm planning on reading Angels and Demons next, I've heard a lot of good stuff about it. I like how Brown uses Robert Langdon as a continuing character in some of his novels, and he's apparently working on another involving Langdon.

Does anyone know if the Robert Langdon character is the same character in these novels, like, would something that happens to him in one novel effect him in another? Or is he just using the name Robert Langdon and a similar identity?
Old 07-09-03, 01:02 PM

Yes it is the same character. There are mentions of the events in Angels & Demons in the Da Vinci Code. Landgon well be the main character for his next few books according to his website. Also don't skip over Deception Point and Digital Fortress. They don't have recurring character or even a similar them to A & D and Da Vinci Code but they are both quite good.
Old 07-09-03, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by CloudsMountain
Nevermind, I got it. Pretty cool concept for a webgame. I'm looking forward to Brown's next novels.
What is it??? That's where I got stumped! put in spoilers if necessary for those who want to play the game too.
Old 07-09-03, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Geofferson
I'm reading Angels & Demons right now and it is simply amazing. This guy can write!!!

I plan on reading The Da Vincci Code ASAP!
I'm actually re-reading parts of Angels and Demons.
I just love the amount of research he does on these books.
Old 07-10-03, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Kal Jedi
What is it??? That's where I got stumped! put in spoilers if necessary for those who want to play the game too.
Spoiler:
venice

I just finished the web quest. That was fun. Maybe I should look into getting the book since I had fun doing the web quest.

Old 07-10-03, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ok, I know which symbol he's referring to, I just can't figure out for the life of me its name. Cruciform? Coptic Cross? help?

EDIT: That was funny. I tried to "View Source" and the name of the stupid image is "nicetrypal.jpg".

Last edited by Kal-El; 07-10-03 at 11:12 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.