Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

"Everything's Eventual" by Stephen King

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-03, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Everything's Eventual" by Stephen King

I'm reading the book not necessarily in order of stories, but by how interesting the titles are. I'm not through with the book, but I've read about five stories so far, and I really enjoyed one of the five.

The one I enjoyed a lot was "1408," about the haunted hotel room. Classic King. The others, like the story named for the book's title, was so-so. As was "The Road Virus Heads North." So-so.

King's short stories from "Night Shift" and "Skeleton Crew" are the best there are, as 98.9% of the stories in them are great. In "Nightmares & Dreamscapes," there was one exceptionally great story called "Rainy Season."

Anyone read the stories in "Everything's Eventual?"
Old 03-07-03, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
It's been a while since I read it, and I would tend to agree with you. Only a few of the stories gave me that 'King feeling', and while most of them were at least decent to good, there was one I didn't even finish. I guess it's hard to keep doing the same thing and be good at it, but I wasn't incredibly impressed. I liked the autopsy one; that one gave me shivers of claustrophobia; and 1408 was pretty good, but none of the others really jump out of my mind [it's been at least eight months since I read it, and I've read a lot since then.]
Old 03-09-03, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by dtcarson
It's been a while since I read it, and I would tend to agree with you. Only a few of the stories gave me that 'King feeling', and while most of them were at least decent to good, there was one I didn't even finish. I guess it's hard to keep doing the same thing and be good at it, but I wasn't incredibly impressed. I liked the autopsy one; that one gave me shivers of claustrophobia; and 1408 was pretty good, but none of the others really jump out of my mind [it's been at least eight months since I read it, and I've read a lot since then.]
Which story did you not finish? At the moment, I am reading the stories in the order of appearance, but I skipped the second half of The Death of Jack Hamilton. Should I finish that one, or was it the one you didn't complete either?
Old 03-10-03, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally posted by heimerSWT
Which story did you not finish? At the moment, I am reading the stories in the order of appearance, but I skipped the second half of The Death of Jack Hamilton. Should I finish that one, or was it the one you didn't complete either?
Actually I kinda liked that one; not so much because it was 'scary', but because the characterizations, I thought, were well done and quite fleshed out. Plus it really creates a feeling of 'time running out,' but again, while it's a good story, that I would enjoy reading in any book of 'New Fiction Short Stories', it wasn't what I was expecting.
Actually, upon flipping through the book, I did actually read them all--but I had to work at it through a couple of them. The Eluria one, while I liked the setting and the concepts, dragged a bit for me [I don't really like the Dark Tower books either]. Same with Riding the Bullet. So apologies for lying in my first post--I had read them all, but few of them are really 'standout' in my memory [again, it was probably close to a year since I've read it.]
Old 03-10-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read the book last year from cover to cover and really enjoyed it. I almost like King's short stories better then the full-length ones.
Old 03-20-03, 10:05 PM

I like all the stories except for the Eluria one. I didn't really read that one because I'm waiting to read the Dark Tower books until the series is finished.

I think 1408 was my favorite, though. Really suspenseful.
Old 03-28-03, 09:12 PM

Haven't started yet. But one of my favorite is The Mist. Wish they make that into a movie.
Old 03-31-03, 02:23 PM

http://www.stephenking.com/future.html

The Mist
Major Motion Picture Release
Film rights are owned by Frank Darabont; production has not begun at this time.

Date not set yet
Old 04-04-03, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I loved this collection of his short stories, especially The Man In The Black Suit and Lunch at the Gotham Cafe.

On another note, has anyone read the short story Mr. King just published(which I believe is an excerpt from The Dark Tower V)in the Harpers Mammoth Book of Short Stories titled "The Gray Dick"?