Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Dark Tower 5-7 Release Dates

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-02, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tentative pub. dates for Dark Tower books set

according to www.stephenking.com , his official site, book 5, wolves of calla will be published in september 2003, book 6, song of susannah november of 2003, and book 7, Dark Tower, March of 2004.
Old 10-19-02, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the news. I'm surprised how close the release dates are, but I suppose when the time comes it will seem like an eternity.
Old 10-19-02, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
At least I have time to read the first 4. I never really understood the whole Dark Towers thing, but after reading Black House and the Gunslinger short story in Everythings Eventual I'm hooked.
Old 10-21-02, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think in an interview I read, King said he wanted to pay back the patience of all his Dark Tower readers, saying how he was getting letters from 85 year old women asking for him to finish writing them before she lost her eyesight.
Old 10-21-02, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So he must be writing them all at once then I guess. Thats cool. Can't wait!
Old 10-21-02, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Actually, add roughly 6 months to each of those dates for the retail trade paperback release dates. The above dates are for the limited edition Donald Grant editions, which you can only get by joining their book club and paying $60-$70 for a copy. Which really, really blows goats, IMO.

Or add roughly a year for the paperback release dates.
Old 02-10-03, 07:47 AM

Dark Tower 5-7 Release Dates

The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla:
Donald M. Grant: September 2003
Simon & Schuster: November 2003

The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah:
Donald M. Grant: November 2003
Simon & Schuster: July 2004

The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower:
Donald M. Grant: March 2004
Simon & Schuster: November 2004

The Simon & Schuster editions are the versions you'll actually see sold in bookstores. The Grant editions are limited edition Stephen King Book Club editions, and cost a good bit more than the average book.

Taken from:
http://www.liljas-library.com/
Old 02-10-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Whoa. Is he writing them all at once? It seems like forever since Wizard and Glass came out!
Old 02-10-03, 10:58 AM

Yeah, he evidently sat down and wrote the last three back to back. He was originally going to release the last three together in a box set, but I guess that fell through.
Old 02-10-03, 01:01 PM

Thanks!
Old 02-10-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can't wait!
Old 02-10-03, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Dang, why is the gap between the Grant and the "regular" editions wider and wider between each book? I have to wait only 2 months between Book 5's editions but nearly 9 months between the other two? Us po' folks can't afford those Grant editions. Arrgh!
Old 02-11-03, 08:36 AM

Just posted by Lilja, the lady who runs the website above:

The publishing schedule that popped up on the Internet on Friday isn't entirely correct and that within the next week there will be a joint press release (from Simon & Schuster and Viking) announcing the publication schedule and other details about the books.
Old 02-17-03, 04:38 PM

Looks like we've got an official press release now...

New York, NY—International best-selling writer Stephen King has finished the last three volumes of his Dark Tower series and will publish the first on November 4, 2003 with Donald M. Grant Publisher, Inc., a small press in New Hampshire which has published the prior four Dark Tower books, and with Scribner, the publisher of his recent novels, it was announced today by Robert K. Wiener, President of Donald M.Grant and by Susan Moldow, Executive Vice President and Publisher of Scribner. Prior to the publication of the new volume there will be a special promotion of the Dark Tower backlist, in hardcover as well as paperback editions, from Penguin Group (USA) publishers, Viking, Plume Books and New American Library.

The unusual arrangement was co-brokered by King’s long-time manager Arthur Greene and editor, Chuck Verrill of Darhansoff, Verrill, Feldman, a literary agency. This is the first time, according to Greene, that three unaffiliated publishers have come together to publish a series of books, by one author in one territory.

The launch of the final three volumes will commence with a massive promotion in June of Volumes I-IV of the series in Viking hardcover and Plume trade paperback: The Gunslinger, (first published in 1982), The Drawing of the Three, (1987), The Waste Lands, (1991) and Wizard and Glass, (1997). King has written a new introduction to the series that will be included in the new hardcover, and redesigned trade paperback editions of all four books, including the first publication of a newly revised and expanded edition of The Gunslinger, a tale King began writing in 1970, five years before the publication of his first novel, Carrie.

The New American Library mass-market editions will follow monthly from July through October. In November, Donald M. Grant with Scribner will publish Wolves of the Calla, the fifth volume in the series, in a high-quality, illustrated edition for the general trade, retailing at $35. The arrangement will continue for the publication of the remaining books. Song of Susannah, Volume VI, will follow in summer 2004 and The Dark Tower, the seventh and final novel in the series, will be published in November 2004. Illustrated trade paperback editions will follow each hardcover at roughly six-month intervals. Mass-market editions from Pocket Books will follow eventually. Wolves of the Calla will be illustrated by Bernie Wrightson, Song of Susannah by Darrel Anderson, and The Dark Tower by Michael Whelan, who illustrated the original Grant edition of The Gunslinger.

Commenting on the series, King said, "I started writing the Dark Tower when I was still in college. It’s been a major part of my life and my writing career. I wanted to finish it both for the readers, who have been so devoted, and for myself. In the upcoming books you’ll meet new characters and you’ll see familiar faces like Ted Brautigan from Hearts in Atlantis, Father Callahan from Salem’s Lot…even Dinky Earnshaw from Everything’s Eventual. For me, it’s like a finale and a reunion, all at once. I’ve put everything I’ve got into these three books, and I think it shows. I can say something about them I’ve only been able to say about a handful of my previous novels: They work, they’re good, and I’m proud to have written them."

Said Clare Ferraro, President of Viking and Plume Books, "It’s a great pleasure to join forces with him again to publish what certainly constituted the most ambitious work of his career. These new editions of the Dark Tower will be eagerly awaited by his fans and provide new readers with a chance to ‘begin at the beginning’ of this epic work."

To complement the publication of the existing books in the series and the final three novels, Scribner will also publish a two-volume concordance, a reference for the series detailing character names, places and other cross-references in the books. The first will cover Volumes I-IV in the series and the second, will cover Volumes V-VII. Stephen King’s The Dark Tower: A Concordance, Volume I, written by Robin Furth, will be published in June. Volume II, also by Furth, will be published in November 2004 in conjunction with the Scribner publication of the final book in the Tower series. King has written an introduction for the concordance.

"The Dark Tower is one of the most beloved series in modern publishing history," said Scribner’s publisher Susan Moldow. "For fans who’ve been waiting for all these years to find out how it ends, the news that the three final volumes will be available within a year will be a cause for jubilation."

The Dark Tower novels have a unique history in publishing. Beginning with a short story published in The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, King has been working on what became his epic fantasy quest for thirty-two years. The Gunslinger appeared in hardcover only in a limited edition from Donald M. Grant in 1982. The Plume trade paperback edition published five years later became a #1 national bestseller. The pattern of a high-priced limited edition from Donald M. Grant, followed by a #1 trade paperback from Plume continued for the next three books at almost regular five year intervals. The summer promotion of Volumes I-IV from Viking and the fall publication of Wolves of the Calla will be the first time that any new hardcover of a Dark Tower book will be available to as wide an audience as demands it. And the fact that King has completed the last three books signals for the first time that someone who commences the series can be assured of reading it to the end.

Robert Wiener said "Prior to its publication Donald Grant himself declared The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger ‘The most important fantasy volume in the history of specialty publishing.’ Twenty-one years and four books later, this scheduled release of the remaining volumes is cause for even greater anticipation and excitement for King fans everywhere."

Stephen King was born in Portland, Maine in 1947. He has published over 40 books and is considered one of the world’s most successful writers. He and his wife, Tabitha, are regular contributors to a number of charities including many libraries and have been honored for their philanthropic activities.

Scribner is a division of Simon & Schuster, part of the entertainment operation of Viacom Inc., a global leader in the field of general interest publishing, dedicated to providing the best in fiction and nonfiction for consumers of all ages, across all printed, electronic and multi-media formats. Its divisions include the Simon &Schuster Adult Publishing Group, Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing, Simon & Schuster New Media, Simon & Schuster Online, and international companies in Australia, Canada, and the United Kingdom. For more information, visit our website at http://www.simonsays.com

Penguin Group (USA) Inc. is the U.S. member of the internationally renowned Penguin Group. Penguin Group (USA) is one of the leading U.S. adult and children's trade book publishers, owning a wide range of imprints and trademarks, including Berkley Books, Dutton, Frederick Warne, G.P. Putnam's Sons, Grosset & Dunlap, New American Library, Penguin, Philomel, Riverhead Books and Viking, among others. The Penguin Group is part of Pearson plc, the international media company. For more information, visit our website at http://www.penguinputnam.com.

Donald M. Grant, Publisher has been producing fine specialty editions in the fantasy genre for over 55 years. Over that period the company has published substantially more than 125 quality titles (including eight by Stephen King), placing an emphasis on time-honored book design, an abundance of full color and black and white illustrations and quality-sewn binding. For more information visit our website at http://www.grantbooks.com.

February 13, 2003

For Further Information:

V.P., Director of Publicity, Scribner

212/632-4945

Donald M. Grant Publishers, Inc.

603/778-7191

Director, Viking Publicity

212/366-2270
http://w1.192.telia.com/~u19211139/TOWER1.htm
Old 02-18-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So that means, if I went to his house RIGHT NOW and broke in, I'd be able to read all three books? Hmmmm.

Thanks for the update!
Old 02-19-03, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't wait!!! The question now is will these be his last books ever. He as much as admited this last February. He did say he would continue writing, just stop publishing. So I guess we would all have to wait until he passes on before we would have any new King. Hopefully he has changed his mind.
Old 02-24-03, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
So, now I have to ask, what are these books about? I've looked at King websites, but I just didn't get a clear idea. Are they horror, fantasy, scifi?

I've read the Stand, The Dead Zone, Green Mile, The Shining and the Mist and liked them all. Should I wait a bit and pick up the whole lot at once?
Old 02-24-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They would probably best be described as epic fantasy. But instead of knights and paladins in a medival world you have gunslingers and witches/wizards in a post-apocalyptic world that is slowly unwinding.

Oh and a tower at the center of the universe. And inter-dimensional travel/time travel. And monsters. And out of control AI super sonic trains.

I don't think I helped much. Just read it.
Old 02-24-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Milo, the books are probably best described as dark fantasy. They pretty much encompass bits of horror, epic fantasy, science fiction, and western.

What the "Dark Tower" series ultimately is, though, is King attempting to create a "multiverse" out of his entire oeuvre of work. Not unlike Michael Moorcock's "Eternal Champion" concept. So be warned that it will be helpful to be at least passingly familiar with a huge chunk of King's body of work. Most of his later novels like Insomnia and Hearts in Atlantis tie in very closely to the Dark Tower series. And characters and events from his earlier novels like Salem's Lot, The Stand, Eyes of the Dragon, and Rose Madder pop up in the DT books.
Old 02-27-03, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Josh-da-man

What the "Dark Tower" series ultimately is, though, is King attempting to create a "multiverse" out of his entire oeuvre of work. Not unlike Michael Moorcock's "Eternal Champion" concept. So be warned that it will be helpful to be at least passingly familiar with a huge chunk of King's body of work. Most of his later novels like Insomnia and Hearts in Atlantis tie in very closely to the Dark Tower series. And characters and events from his earlier novels like Salem's Lot, The Stand, Eyes of the Dragon, and Rose Madder pop up in the DT books.
I don't really agree with this. Pick up books 1,2,3 and 4 and read them now. There are no huge important tie-ins up to this point and you will definitely enjoy it. For 5,6, and 7, the other books will be of some importance if you want to see a bigger picture of what this work encompases.
Old 03-09-03, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All I have to say is that they better damn well get Frank Muller to read the audio books. For some reason, The Dark Tower series never really worked for me when I tried to read through them myself. I much prefer just about evertything else he has written. But damn, listening to Frank Muller read them clicked somehow and brought it all together for me.

Unfortunately, he didn't have Frank read "The Little Sisters of Eluria" which suggests that King may not be as interested in continuity as I am. I just hope it comes through in the end.
Old 03-09-03, 02:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was thinking of re-reading 1-4 sometime.Yet since theirs no way i will finish in time for the new volumes.I may just wait on that & read the last three to finish the series.

Though will they be available in the large softcover editions like the first four? I love those much more than standard small paperback. I like hardcover as well.Yet since i have the first four in large softcover.I would like to have the whole series that way.
Old 03-17-03, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dark Tower tie ins

For true junkies, whats great about these books(aside from being some of the best modern fantasies around) is that they have ties in numerous other King books, past , present and future. On top of the Dark Tower books, you also have ties in Hearts in Atlantis, Talisman, Black House as well as back tying, according to King, in From A Buick 8 and in Everything's Eventual (i think i missed some also) so you can see the story expand from several viewpoints.
Old 03-17-03, 05:06 PM

Don't forget The Stand

This may be a potential spoiler, as I have not read the book in forever...

Spoiler:
Isn't Flagg the guy the Gunslinger is after?

-Steve
Old 03-18-03, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by Alien Redrum
Don't forget The Stand

This may be a potential spoiler, as I have not read the book in forever...

Spoiler:
Isn't Flagg the guy the Gunslinger is after?

-Steve
Yes. And also, DT4 and The Stand tie together
Spoiler:
with the fact that when they get off of Blaine, they end up in a world similar to The Stand, that's also been destroyed by a plague.

As for Muller doing the audiobooks, I remember reading somewhere that he's out of the picture for a while due to health reasons.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.