Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally posted by Mutley Hyde
Oh cool! First time? I loved it!
Yes - first time.

Wonderful book so far!
Old 11-25-02, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome, I can only say, it's gets better and better the further you get to the end.

As for other classic horror, I never could get past the first chapter of Frankenstein. One day I gotta give it another go. Stevenson's Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is terrific though, and a short read. And I just read Chickamagua again last night, by Ambrose Bierce. Man, that guy was into splatter gore before there ever was a film industry! It's a Civil War short story, but reads like Dawn of the Dead.
Old 11-26-02, 12:07 AM

Just started to read Band of Brothers.
Old 11-26-02, 07:52 AM

Enjoy yourself, Geofferson. Dracula is one of the all-time great reads. I taught it in a section of English 101 a few years ago, and it was one of the few novels that almost everyone enjoyed.

I haven't been reading nearly enough lately, but I did just read Tony Kushner's play, Homebody/Kabul, which is brilliant. He's definitely the best American playwright since Sam Shepard, and, if he continues to produce plays so prolifically, he might surpass them all.
Old 11-26-02, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Darren H

I haven't been reading nearly enough lately, but I did just read Tony Kushner's play, Homebody/Kabul, which is brilliant. He's definitely the best American playwright since Sam Shepard, and, if he continues to produce plays so prolifically, he might surpass them all.
I personally think he's the best American playwright ever. Followed closely by Eugene O'Neill. Although, I love Sam Shepard, I'm not sure if I'd even put him on my top ten American playwrights list.
Old 11-26-02, 10:48 AM

That's nice to hear, Alyoshka. A few weeks ago I saw both parts of Angels in America while visiting Phoenix. From reading them (again and again and again) I had always suspected that they were the greatest American plays ever written; finally getting to experience a production only confirmed it. They're magic, pure and simple. I'm now dying to see Homebody/Kabul. Have you read it?
Old 11-26-02, 11:45 AM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally posted by Mutley Hyde
Awesome, I can only say, it's gets better and better the further you get to the end.

As for other classic horror, I never could get past the first chapter of Frankenstein. One day I gotta give it another go. Stevenson's Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is terrific though, and a short read. And I just read Chickamagua again last night, by Ambrose Bierce. Man, that guy was into splatter gore before there ever was a film industry! It's a Civil War short story, but reads like Dawn of the Dead.
When I bought Dracula a few weeks back, I also picked up Frankenstein. That might be my next read. I've never heard of Chickamagua, but am taking note of it - sounds right up my alley.
Old 11-26-02, 10:07 PM

Just finished Bram Stoker's Dracula last night. It was a fun read. I thought the ending kind of dragged though and didn't live up to the expectations from halfway through the book.

I'm starting Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series next.

Last edited by Beaver; 11-27-02 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-29-02, 09:25 AM

The Autograph Man by Zadie Smith
Old 11-30-02, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just finished Michelle Malkin's book, Invasion, damning the INS, among others, for immigration enforcement travesties. I read it in two days, and highly recommend it to anyone who is either interested in, enraged by, or just plain doesn't yet know anything about the current state of affairs. She's also going to be on C-SPAN next Sunday, the 8th, at 8:00 pm eastern, on Booknotes. I know I'll be tuning in.

Up next, maybe Unequal Protection, by Thom Hartman, about how corporations in America just keep getting stronger and stronger at the expense of individual rights.

Or maybe after Invasion, I'll take a break from the political stuff with either some Tolkien or P.K. Dick, like I keep meaning to.