Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Richard Laymon fans.................

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-04, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just finished Body Rides. It's definitely now one of my favorites. Just received The Lake from Amazon UK, starting it tomorrow.

I also recently read Blood Games, it was good, but not among his best.

I read Endless Night a couple of years ago, it is excellent, a real white knuckler. Laymon pulls no punches.

Leisure has been publishing the original manuscripts on the last couple of paperback releases, Night would be worth a re-read, if it's different from the British printing.

I pre-ordered Madman Stan and In Laymon's Terms from Cemetery Dance last July. I'm getting tired of waiting!

Last edited by cineman; 04-03-04 at 01:35 AM.
Old 04-14-04, 11:30 AM

I finished Blood Games a couple of weeks ago and have to say I was awfully disappointed. It wasn't horrible or anything but it is certainly one of the lesser Laymon books I've read. Almost nothing of any interest happens for like the entire first 300 pages! Booooooorrrrring! Definitely felt padded out to novel length.

However, this is a unique case. Nearly everything else I've ever read by the man was excellent.

Personal faves:

Night in the Lonesome October
The Travelling Vampire Show
The Woods Are Dark
Island
In the Dark
One Rainy Night

I'm starting Come Out Tonight today. Looks nice and sick -- vintage Laymon.
Old 04-18-04, 10:18 AM

I just finished Body Rides and hate to say I really did not like it.
There was no momentum and the plot and characters are totally lacking. The main character falling for every female he meets???How does this book qualifiy as horror?
There was little suspense and too many opportunities for showcasing sex as filler.
Old 04-19-04, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by sykotic
The main character falling for every female he meets???How does this book qualifiy as horror?
I'm almost finished with Body Rides and I couldn't agree more. The guy is a little pathetic in this regard.

However, I am digging the book.

I also finished Stake about a month or so ago. A big to that one.

I picked up Bite this weekend for 2 bucks. I'll be jumping into that one after I read Brian Keene's Fear of Gravity.
Old 04-20-04, 09:08 AM

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts
I finished To Wake the Dead (aka Amara) last night.

I was satisfied with the book up until the final 100 pages - the payoff was a let-down for me. I enjoyed the way he introduced the characters and their individual storylines, but when it came time to give them all some relavance, it wasn't executed the best way it could have been. Furthermore, the final act was very anti-climactic.
Old 04-25-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just finished The Lake. It was okay, but after the easy-to-figure "twist" was revealed, it wrapped up in 50 pages. A lost opportunity for real Laymon mayhem.
Old 08-05-04, 02:28 PM

Laymon update:

Endless Night was released in paperback in the US by Leisure

Madman Stan and other short stories was released by Cemetary Dance.

I plan on buying Madman through Amazon this week, so if anyone is interested in STL, let me know...

Old 08-12-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I pre-ordered Madman Stan from CD a year ago.

Endless Night is one of his best. Highly recommended.

Last edited by cineman; 12-29-04 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-29-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

New Laymon PB and HB

March 2005 - 1st U.S. paperback printing of Resurrection Dreams, one of Laymon's best.

April 2005 - 1st Worldwide printing (U.K., in particular) of The Glory Bus

Blurb from book cover of The Glory Bus - One moment Pamela is a newly-wed with a loving husband and a comfortable home. The next, she's the prisoner of a killer who has lusted after her since high school - and now intends to make her his slave. Norman wouldn't say boo to a goose, so he's never going to throw bad-boy Duke out of his car or say no to Boots, the hyper-sexed hitch-hiker who tags along for the ride. Together the lawless pair take him on a wild journey that looks like it's heading straight for the electric chair. But when the glory bus comes along there's hope of salvation for all. Pamela and Norman are just two who climb on board. They don't know their destination is the furnace heat of the Mojave Desert, where a special welcome awaits the weary traveller. It can't be worse than what's gone before. Or can it?

http://www.ains.net.au/~gerlach/rlnews.htm

Last edited by cineman; 12-29-04 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-15-05, 08:43 AM

I finished Island last night and thought it was just average Laymon. Anyone else read it?
Old 03-15-05, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoyed Island. It was different from the usual Laymon. Whenever I watch "Lost" I think of this book, thinking Sayid will stumble upon the cages........
Old 03-21-05, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cineman
March 2005 - 1st U.S. paperback printing of Resurrection Dreams, one of Laymon's best.
I was in B&N this weekend and just happened to pick this up on a whim. My wife finished it and I just started it today. I have never heard of him, and was surprised to learn he had passed and how popular he seems to be. I’ve been enjoying the book so far and look forward to finishing and reading more by him.
Old 03-21-05, 07:29 PM

Cool newsletter. I've read Endless Night and Body Rides. The latter was mediocre but the first brilliant. I have two books to read from him now, one of them being Resurrection Dreams.
Old 03-22-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts
Isn't it amazing (and a bit sad) that many of his books are coming into print in the US after his death. Layman has been a guilty pleasure since I first read "The Cellar" and "Out are the Lights". As an impressionable youth I was blown away by the fast-pace and gross-out factor of these books. So of course I had to read more My favorites are probably "Funland" and "Travelling Vampire Show" -- maybe I'm a sucker for coming-of-age stories gone horribly wrong.
Old 03-22-05, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by brainee
Isn't it amazing (and a bit sad) that many of his books are coming into print in the US after his death.
It is interesting and I don't quite know what to attribute it to, but he never really caught on in the US. Sure glad that Leisure is around though.
Old 03-22-05, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amen about Leisure. I'm shudder to think where horror in the mass market would be without them. The only other horror available is in "Limited Editions" costing $45 bucks. Sometimes, I just want to read the damn thing, I don't want to invest in it.

"The Traveling Vampire Show" was the 2nd Laymon book I ever read and it's still my favorite. ("One Rainy Night" was the first. A great read.)
Old 06-10-05, 01:57 PM

Laymon update courtesy of Richard Laymon Kills!...

Leisure Books has announced the next Laymon hardcover will be released in September of this year. It is the US verion of THE GLORY BUS, retitled INTO THE FIRE.
On a side note, I just finished The Stake...loved it!
Old 07-14-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just read (well I'm just about done with) In The Dark and the book totally kicked my ass. Very fun and that challenge that took
Spoiler:
our Heroine into the house of doom with those mutilated and chopped up women? One of the most tense reading moments I've had in AGES!

I really want to read something else by the guy and I was wondering what you all would suggest be my next foray into Laymon vile? I think it's a testament to the guy that there is no clear favorite book of his. I see Island gets a lot of props, but then so does Travelling Vamp Show, and Lonesome October, and The Cellar, and...so I'm a bit lost in the goodness. I love that there are so many waiting for me, I'm just lost as to what to try next.
Old 07-14-05, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I really want to read something else by the guy and I was wondering what you all would suggest be my next foray into Laymon vile? I think it's a testament to the guy that there is no clear favorite book of his. I see Island gets a lot of props, but then so does Travelling Vamp Show, and Lonesome October, and The Cellar, and...so I'm a bit lost in the goodness. I love that there are so many waiting for me, I'm just lost as to what to try next.
I know that The Travelling Vampire Show is hailed by many as his best work (it won the Stoker award), but I wasn't all that fond of it. It took forever to go anywhere and the payoff was pretty lame, IMO. Island was a decent read. My favorite thus far has been either Midnight's Lair or One Rainy Night (which I plan on re-reading in the near future).
Old 07-15-05, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You must read Endless Night.
Old 08-08-05, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finished re-reading The Cellar (Laymon's 1st published novel); even better than I remembered. Leisure needs to release the Beast House trilogy.
Old 08-08-05, 01:25 PM

Finished re-reading The Cellar (Laymon's 1st published novel); even better than I remembered. Leisure needs to release the Beast House trilogy.
Yup, I'm dying to read all of those. I just don't want to fork over all the $$ for the OOP copies that are currently out there. I too hope that Leisure comes through with his trilogy.
Old 08-09-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was poking around Amazon trying to pick the next Laymon book I was going to order and settled on Travelling Vampire Show, Island , and Among The Missing. I have never seen another author be called "Sick" or "perverted" so many times in online reviews. And I wonder what it says about me that it makes me want to read his stuff even more now.
Old 01-07-06, 07:59 PM

Leisure needs to release the Beast House trilogy.
While not Leisure, the trilogy is being re-released by Hodder Headline in the UK.

Details...

Hodder Headline UK has announced they are re-releasing all of Laymon's novels, in a collected paperback form as "The Laymon Collection". Releases begin in March 2006 and will be released monthly. The novels will be collected in chronological order except for the first volume, which will consist of the three Beast House novels Hodder Headline published. Other collections will follow chronologically from there. The Laymon Dates board at the top of this page lists the first three volumes, all of which will be available in the UK by May. We'll keep the dates updated as the releases are confirmed. We're also thrilled to be able to show you the cover art from the first volume, containing the Beast House stories. Look for the other re-releases to follow this style and format. (Australian release will be two months AFTER the UK release dates.)
Old 04-17-08, 09:21 AM

Any Laymon readers still around? Figured I'd resurrect this thread because I just finished One Rainy Night -- one of the better Laymon novels I've read.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.