Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

The Illuminatus! Trilogy

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-02, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Illuminatus! Trilogy

Did you read it? I read it about 10 years ago - thats some serious mind***** going on in that book

Anyway I wanted to re-read it - I only remember fnord and being severely confused.. Oh and some nazi's in a lake?

www.rawilson.com is an adventure in itself - check his bio.. multiple times.
Old 09-09-02, 11:22 AM
Mod Emeritus

Re: The Illuminatus! Trilogy

Originally posted by ravan
[....] I only remember fnord [....]
Old 09-09-02, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, its a very interesting book by Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea.

They basically take every conspiracy theory and mix it all up with world events etc. It is not a normal book, but its very thought provoking in a strange way

fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord
Old 09-09-02, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts
At one time, Wilson was the letters editor for Playboy. He got a lot of conspiracy letters. He used all the best conspiracies in one book. Behind every conspiracy is a deeper conspiracy.

He also takes Crowleyan magick seriously, so the book can be read as a primer on practical magic.

Somebody once told me that The Illuminatus Trilogy reads better if you've read James Joyce's Ulysses first. I never have.
Old 09-09-02, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The whole stream of conciousness deal? I never read JJoyce either.

I'm sure there was a fair amount of drugs involved in writing that book though - no sane person could do that.
Old 09-09-02, 03:07 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by ravan
Well, its a very interesting book by Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea.
His non-fiction is almost more interesting than his fiction. And, yes, I have read that particular co-authored trilogy although mine is actually collected in one volume!

fnord

Old 09-09-02, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by benedict
His non-fiction is almost more interesting than his fiction. And, yes, I have read that particular co-authored trilogy although mine is actually collected in one volume!

fnord

Mine is too, although I cant find it..
Old 09-09-02, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gotta love this book

you do not see the fnord

hail eris
all hail discordia!
Old 09-16-02, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whattaya mean it's MY turn in the apple?
Old 09-16-02, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The first book I ever read that actually used the word "defenestrate." One of the many reasons I love it.
Old 09-17-02, 05:37 AM
Banned

I could not help (last year) but think of this book when the Pentagon got taken out. Remember the part where that rock band that wanted to immanentize the eschaton (i.e. end the world to soak up the release of souls and attain godhood) blast out one side of that geometrically mystic structure and set free Iak Sotot, the Lloiger from its imprisonment. These were the same guys that reactivated the Nazi troops in stasis under the water in that lake in Eastern Europe and set them forth on the rock festival attendees. Iak Sotot ended up getting them as they ran across a bridge I think (it’s been a while).

When I was in Australia I placed a single chip to win on 23 alone and I won (at very profitable odds). I shouted Hagbard Celine’s name that moment and no one got it.

One of the longest and coolest books I’ve ever read. As a follow up I recommend Masks of the Illuminati. It reads more like a Twilight Zone episode wherein Albert Einstein and James Joyce hook up to solve a mystery and finally meet the arch villain that has perpetrated the entire fiasco (no spoilers, but his name’s been mentioned in this thread) and he explains the art of conspiracy and rule.

(and what’s up with that little squirrel?)
Old 09-22-02, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was a big RAW fan for many years and read as much of his stuff as i could. I also recommend reading Prometheus Rising and doing all his exersizes That is if you want a real mind screwjob
Old 11-26-02, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Hey guys, I started this book sunday night. I'm about 70 pages in right now, and was wondering... when will it start to make sense?
Old 11-26-02, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well it never quite totally makes sense.... and if it ever starts making sense completely then be worried for your sanity It's almost more an experience than a story.
Old 07-23-03, 03:20 PM
Banned

Illuminatis! trilogy... any help here?

I'm a few pages in, and I can already tell that the writing style is going to make it a hard read.

The general concensus among the few people I've talked to is that if I can make it past the first hundred or so pages, I'll love it.

The problem is that I keep hearing about things like shifting through time periods in the middle of a paragraph, and characters having the same names, making it hard to understand who is doing what.

Any hints or suggestions that I should keep in mind to be able to make it through this?
Old 07-23-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Make notes on 3x5 index cards and keep them handy. Use them as bookmarks so you can cross-reference as you read.
Old 07-23-03, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Illuminatis! trilogy... any help here?

Originally posted by JestersTear
The problem is that I keep hearing about things like shifting through time periods in the middle of a paragraph, and characters having the same names, making it hard to understand who is doing what.
Yep, that's the book alright! That's on purpose, and if you can actually make it through the book having understood everything that happened, you are an amazing human being. My advice is to read but don't analyze it. Pay attention to the ideas/concepts happening but not the mechanics. If you don't, you'll find much of it contradictory and impossible, which is what the author intended.
Old 07-23-03, 06:07 PM

go with the flow. you do not see the fnord. I am a dolphin. SNAFU will tell us whats up.

you'll love the book Just read it as a stream of consciousness
Old 07-24-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What book is this? by whom?
Old 07-24-03, 10:15 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by Kal Jedi
What book is this? by whom?
What he said.

After reading Angels & Demons, I'd love to read this!
Old 07-24-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's the Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea
Old 07-24-03, 12:23 PM
Mod Emeritus

Fnord
Old 07-24-03, 10:22 PM

The general concensus among the few people I've talked to is that if I can make it past the first hundred or so pages, I'll love it.
I agree with this. I was told the same thing before I read it but I loved it from the beginning. I actually started rereading the book a few weeks ago, but a neighbor saw me reading it and asked about and I talked it up so much that she borrowed and I switched to another book until shes done. It is way better during the second read.

I wouldn't say that its a difficult read, once you get use to the style, it flows like any other book.

I like the idea of notecards, especially at the beginning, but once you get more into the characters, you won't need them.

Please don't give up on the book. Finish it and you'll be glad you did. It is definitely one of my favorites.

SCSIMan
Old 07-30-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts
I read it a long time ago. I enjoyed a lot of parts of it, but overall wasn't that impressed. Later, someone said that I needed to have read James Joyce Ulysses first.

Spoiler:
However, when I see a piece of propaganda in the news, I say that I see the fnords.
Old 07-31-03, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

very suprized to see a thread on this book here!

here's a pic i took of myself yesterday:

basically yeah. i had this book for a year before i could get into it. i'd pick it up every couple months and read like... 5 pages and be like.. what the hell did i just read and put it down.

i finally made myself keep reading and once i got used to the style it is awesome.

basically you just have to accept that a large part of the book is just some sort of acid trip that blends significant parts of the book together... once you can learn to keep reading through those, and enjoy them as an acid trip rather than trying to make sense of them, the book starts to fall into place.

also, once i was told that this was basically written by some editors of playboy who would go into an after hours lounge and get messed up on whatever drugs they could find, then trade off writing the book it made a bit more sense.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.