Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Kim Stanley Robinson

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-02, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kim Stanley Robinson

Is anyone here a fan of Kim Stanley Robinson? I just started my first book written by him: The Wild Shore. So far it seems like a pretty interesting post-nuclear holocaust story set on the west coast of the US. I figured it'd be easier to start with a "stand alone" novel rather than starting with a novel that's part of a series (Red Mars, etc.). The Wild Shore is apparently part of a trilogy, though each book stands on its own and is only loosely connected to the other two.

Any opinions on his other novels? From what I've read so far, his writing style is really enjoyable. In my experience, nearly all the science fiction I've read during the last year or two has been written in a fairly straight forward style (Heinlein, Haldeman, Gerrold, etc.), something I can't say for a lot of recently written horror novels and collections (especially female authors for some reason: Anne Rice, Kathe Koja, etc.).
Old 07-18-02, 03:54 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
I read all his Mars books. Pretty good, but very long and drawn out at times.

I attempted to read Antartica but it was just a bit too political for me. It's historically accurate. If you really want to learn about Anartica and it's place in world history it's a good place to start.

He's really into hard science and it's obvious from what I read that he's an environmentalist as well, which is OK, but when it starts to seep into the story I begin to lose interest.

His Mars books are probably the best. If that's what you like. Hard stuff, no "fantastical" elements.
Old 07-19-02, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
the mars books and antartica are the ones I've read
good stuff
bought the years of rice and salt
going to be a while before I get to it though