Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

The [now-expired] Book Talk contest for the month of June

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-02, 12:44 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Perhaps not my best merger decision - but every cloud has a silver lining!

The upside is that two (count them) prizes are on offer for people who, during this month of June 2002, can assist in answering some of the unanswered pleas gathered together higher up the thread above this post.

Some are requests for reviews; some for information. The reviews should be on books that you've read; the info can be cribbed but should include links where appropriate. Prizes will be book-related - nothing to do with Geoff or DVDTalk.com - and I'll happily post them to wherever in the world the winner(s) live. At the time of writing there are just three weeks until the end of this month: the clock is counting down!!
  1. For the most comprehensive and downright inspired reply to any of the above posts - if you think someone is level-pegging you'll have to post an answer to another query!
  2. For the person who simply posts the highest number of accurate replies to various of the above posts.
Of course the downside is that the judge is me (!) and my decision is final: if I need to add further minor clarifications as the contest develops then I'll do that <small>but if I get stuck I may well call on the wisdom of Blade </small>

[Please quote a little of the post to which you are responding so I can see where you are coming from. People can email me any errata and I'll update here from time to time. Capsule reviews are more than welcome and, in most cases, will qualify under part 2 of the competition. Addendum: if there are fewer than three "serious" entries by 23 June I reserve the right to halve the prizes ].

Benedict

Last edited by benedict; 06-09-02 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-29-02, 06:33 PM
Mod Emeritus

Re: Perhaps not my best merger decision - but every cloud has a silver lining!

<small>
Originally posted by benedict
[....]if I need to add further minor clarifications as the contest develops then I'll do that [....]
</small>Less than 24 hours to go if I use midnight GMT as the deadline. To be fair to those who entered early, I think that from this point on new posts should only count as half towards the "quantity" side of the competition.
Old 06-30-02, 06:43 PM
Mod Emeritus

[Everyone's a winner!]

Well, clearly, Steve/Alien Redrum triumphs in the "numbers" part of the contest

And, well, how could one separate Bean-si and BoatDrinks? So I guess it is joint first on the "inspired" part of the competition....

I am proposing to issue the following:
  • Bean Si - The Kinky Friedman Crime Club/Kinky Friedman
  • BoatDrinks - The Death & Life of Miguel de Cervantes/Stephen Marlowe
  • Alien Redrum - Still/Adam Thorpe
If anyone already has the specified volume concerned or really doesn't care for it, please let me know and it'll be "pot luck" instead !!

If you can each email me a secure postal address, I'll arrange for your prizes to be despatched this week.
Old 07-05-02, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, go away for a while and come back to a pleasent surprise!

YGM!

Thanks!

-Steve
Old 07-14-02, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my book yesterday.

Thanks benedict!

All the way from overseas and everything.
Old 07-14-02, 12:26 PM
Mod Emeritus

Cool! It only took a week then! Enjoy!

Boatdrinks is taking a Kinky Friedman-related CD (as yet unposted) for his parody/prank review and Bean-si I think participated more for the pleasure of taking part; which is OK by me