Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What did you read growing up?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks
View Poll Results: Which book series was your favorite growing up?
Hardy Boys
38.57%
Nancy Drew
4.29%
Bobsey Twins
1.43%
Three Investigators
15.71%
Power Boys
1.43%
Trixie Belden
2.86%
Tom Swift
0%
Other
35.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

What did you read growing up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-21, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: What did you read growing up?

Judy Blumes Fudge Series and The Goosebumps books.
Old 01-29-21, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Loved the three investigators growing. I have been tempted a few times to re-read a few to see how they hold up.

Lots of RL Stine, which led into King.

Big shoutout to the Rats of NIMH series, an all time fave

Also was big on Jerry Spinelli for a while.

I could keep going, been a while since I took a trip back to my younger reading habits.
Old 01-29-21, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Encyclopedia Brown and the Beverly Cleary stuff was the main series, but I just read anything I could get and mostly scifi. In my teens I really got into the Star Trek and Star Wars novels, I had a huge collection of both that became a chore to pack up every time we moved.
Old 01-29-21, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Oh, I just remembered, I use to collect movie novelizations. Some were books that later became movies, but most were either the 'movie edition' of the book, or the novelized script. Kinda wish I still had this collection, I had probably 100 or 150, some for movies I had never heard of, but many I really liked. Some very dated and 70s/early 80s and not very good, some were really good as either standalone books or as 'expanded universe' things. My dad built me a bed headboard with a built in bookshelf and that's where these books were.

One that was really surprising, and of course the movie is still awesome, was the novelization of the Blues Brothers. There was a whole chapter or two where
Spoiler:
one of the bandmates, when they were 'getting the band back together', worked as a security guard at a prefab 'tiny boxes' housing development that no one lived at it. So of course the band started living and practicing in one of the houses. Well, a band, at least this band, living and practicing in a house with absolutely no supervision = the house getting entirely trashed. The band member/security guard was starting to freak out because his bosses were going to come check on the houses for grand opening soon. Turns out they couldn't clean up the house, it was in such bad shape - so they hotwired construction equipment and literally razed the house to the ground, like it was never there, then they just left and went back to Chicago. One big empty lot in the middle of a 10x10 grid of houses. It was humorous imagery. The book also had more details about Elwood's job and why he was carrying cans of epoxy.

Old 02-07-21, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Abel's Island (William Steig)
Goosebumps (RL Stine)
Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark (Alvin Schwartz)
The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Terry Brooks)

I also loved reading any Star Wars Novels I could get my hands on, even though I rarely read them in order
Old 02-17-21, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyc3742
Oh, I just remembered, I use to collect movie novelizations. Some were books that later became movies, but most were either the 'movie edition' of the book, or the novelized script. Kinda wish I still had this collection, I had probably 100 or 150, some for movies I had never heard of, but many I really liked. Some very dated and 70s/early 80s and not very good, some were really good as either standalone books or as 'expanded universe' things. My dad built me a bed headboard with a built in bookshelf and that's where these books were.
Should have kept them! They're very valuable now. Even those old, yellowed paperbacks fetch $20 - $100 each now, at the crazy prices of today.
Old 12-13-23, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Voracious reader growing up. Read: The Three Investigators, Choose Your Own Adventure, Encyclopedia Brown, Hardy Boys, The Great Brain, G.I. Joe Find Your Fate, and Endless Quest.
The following users liked this post:
Kurt D (12-14-23)