Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

David Sedaris

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-02, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
David Sedaris

I'm heard David Sedaris a few times on Letterman and found him quite funny. I see where he has a compilation audio box set of all his books and was wondering what people thought of it. It's like $41 at amazon.
Old 04-04-02, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who's doing the reading? I'd say an audio book that's read by the right person might be ideal for his stuff. I read NAKED (the book with the boxer shorts on the cover). It was pretty funny. The first chapter actually had me in tears. The funniest text I've ever read. But the rest of it fell flat for me (maybe because I was expecting it to be just as funny as the first chapter).
Old 04-04-02, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i personally thought that me talk pretty one day was better than naked. There's this one chapter about his brother in me talk pretty one day that had me .
Old 04-04-02, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by bishop2knight
Who's doing the reading? I'd say an audio book that's read by the right person might be ideal for his stuff. I read NAKED (the book with the boxer shorts on the cover). It was pretty funny. The first chapter actually had me in tears. The funniest text I've ever read. But the rest of it fell flat for me (maybe because I was expecting it to be just as funny as the first chapter).
David himself is doing the reading I do believe. His sister along has a few "cameos" on the set. Here's some relevant info:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...297581-2274361

His delivery on Letterman had my laughing my ass off, so I suspect this could be a pretty enjoyable listen.
Old 04-05-02, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I've never read or heard an entire book, but I've really enjoyed most of what I've heard.

He's a pretty frequent contributor/guest on NPR's This American Life radio show (an excellent show). You can do a search on his name at www.thisamericanlife.org & it'll list the episodes he was on. Some are available in real audio.

There is also a good fan site with some readings & interviews available in real audio & possibly mp3. I don't know the address, but it should be easy to find through yahoo or whatever...
Old 04-11-02, 10:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Since I work at a book/CD store, I read "Me Talk Pretty" one rainy Monday night and lauged out loud so many times, I had several customers ask what I was reading.