Search this Thread

Old 03-21-02, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stephen King's Everything's Eventual: 14 Dark Tales

anyone??
Old 03-22-02, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picked it up earlier this week... I've been read through about a story a night... I've been really enjoying it so far.

The stories so far (in the first 3 or 4) haven't been supernatural horror like some of King's novels and earlier short story collections... there's been a gangster-era historical fiction piece, and a few that are more psychological horror. Later stories that I haven't gotten to include one set in the Dark Tower universe and the e-book Riding the Bullet.

There's also a really good introduction from King about the whole idea of a short story and it's place in American literature today as well as comments about the whole e-book phenomenon. Also, each of the short stories is followed up by several paragraphs explaining why King wrote it, what his inspiration for the story was, where he got the idea, etc. I found it pretty interesting.

I saw a good review of the book earlier this week that had a blurb about each story, which is what reminded me that it was out, but I can't remember where I found it. I've read a majority of Stephen King's books and am certainly glad I picked up this one.

--
Matthew Eagin
Old 03-22-02, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a new Stephen King book?

Well, I'll be.
Old 03-22-02, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wouldn't call it new...Most of these stories have already been published...Ride the Bullet (E-book), LT's Theory of Pets (Audio book), Little Sisters of Euleria (In Legands - It is a dark tower story), and The Road Virus Heads North (from 999) all had high distribution where as another 5-6 were published in the New Yorker.
Old 03-22-02, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm gonna read it as soon as I'm done reading what I'm reading now - I'll let you know tomorrow if I like it - I'm sure I will.
Old 03-24-02, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked it up too, but so far I've only had time to read the intro and "Riding the Bullet", both of which were very good. I'm happy that he released another short story collection. Skeleton Crew is probably my favorite collection of his, followed by Night Shift. I've read the stories in both those books several times. I'm hoping this new collection ends up being like that.

Off topic, but: Bentley Little has a new collection of short stories coming out in June. It's called "The Collection" (believe it or not).
Old 03-24-02, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I've read most of the stories already. Riding the Bullet was a big ebook exclusive that I enjoyed and I read most of the magazine stories. Its a good collection to buy, but I may wait for the paperback version. I hate to drop that much on a book when few of the stories will be new to me.
Old 03-25-02, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by darkside
I've read most of the stories already. Riding the Bullet was a big ebook exclusive that I enjoyed and I read most of the magazine stories. Its a good collection to buy, but I may wait for the paperback version. I hate to drop that much on a book when few of the stories will be new to me.
I agree...but I like to have the Hardcover for collection purposes. I was a bit disappointed at so few new stories.
Old 03-30-02, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got mine for 15 bucks at Media Play. You'll probably pay 5 or 6 for the paperback. To me it is worth the extra money.
Old 03-30-02, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I read it last week - several great stories in the book - though I missed those little stories that he has had in his other collecttions. All these are longer, 10-50 pages.
Old 04-10-02, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Bcolon
I got mine for 15 bucks at Media Play. You'll probably pay 5 or 6 for the paperback. To me it is worth the extra money.

Super deal at Media Play....45% off.....