Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

The destruction of the Ego.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-02, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The destruction of the Ego.

Hey, I'm writing a research paper about the destruction of the ego - the necessity of the destruction of the ego - in terms of a couple of Borges' short stories. I was trying to think of some novels to use as backdrops or reference points that involve this theme, but all I could remember is "Steppenwolf," and its been years since I read that. Can anyone give me anymore? Also, can anyone explain why the destruction of the ego is necessary? I think the theme comes from eastern religions. I'd like to read Nitzche's "The Antichrist" for more info on that, but I don't have time for that.

Anyway, any destruction of ego novels/stories?

Anyone know why it is necessary?
Old 03-15-02, 02:03 PM

The Ego's the part that suppresses all of those wonderful primal urges, right? You should definitely at least familiarize yourself with Nietzsche. Start with The Birth of Tragedy, in which he discusses a process similar to the death of the ego (pre-Freud) but in terms of Appolonian versus Dionysian desire. It's a great read, and, if I recall correctly, it's pretty short.

Why is it necessary? For Nietzsche it's the only way to live honestly. He had little patience for anything that suppressed man's potential, particularly Christianity. He was just amazed that Christ said "the meek shall inherit the earth" and everyone believed Him. Nietzsche, instead, admired people like Napoleon, who recognized his own greatness and conquered those lesser than him without regard for right/wrong. "I'm stronger than you, so I'm right," he would probably say.

Did I mention that Hitler was a big fan of Nietzsche? All kinds of moral questions tied up here. What fascinates me most about Nietzsche was that he was such a brilliant writer and rhetorician than he'll damn near convince you that he's right.

Any text that deals with the collapse of social boundaries would probably do the trick. Some obvious examples (although none argues for the death of the ego):

- Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde
- Lord of the Flies
- Heart of Darkness

I'm drawing a blank, though, on authors other than Nietzsche who wanted complete freedom from social/religious/political constraints. Maybe some of his fellow 19th century romantics: Thoreau? Whitman did, but in really complicated ways. Coleridge? Some of the Beats were a bit anarchic, but (IMO) few are really worth reading anymore. I think you could also make a case for some of the Modernists: Marinetti and Lewis are the first two to come to mind.

Stick with Nietzsche. Thus Spoke Zarathustra would be helpful, too.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Darren H; 03-15-02 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-15-02, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Darren H
The Ego's the part that suppresses all of those wonderful primal urges, right? You should definitely at least familiarize yourself with Nietzsche. Start with The Birth of Tragedy, in which he discusses a process similar to the death of the ego (pre-Freud) but in terms of Appolonian versus Dionysian desire. It's a great read, and, if I recall correctly, it's pretty short.

Any text that deals with the collapse of social boundaries would probably do the trick. Some obvious examples (although none argues for the death of the ego):

- Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde
- Lord of the Flies
- Heart of Darkness

I'm drawing a blank, though, on authors other than Nietzsche who wanted complete freedom from social/religious/political constraints. Maybe some of his fellow 19th century romantics: Thoreau? Whitman did, but in really complicated ways. Coleridge? Some of the Beats were a bit anarchic, but (IMO) few are really worth reading anymore. I think you could also make a case for some of the Modernists: Marinetti and Lewis are the first two to come to mind.

Stick with Nietzsche. Thus Spoke Zarathustra would be helpful, too.

Hope that helps.

I've read "The Birth of Tragedy" but it is a bit fuzzy in my mind. I thought "The Antichrist"'s comparison of Eastern and western religions would be helpful - due to the tendancy of eastern religions towards nothingness - but honestly, I don't know if that issue is addressed. This is an issue that I want to get into, but I don't really have time to delve in it to deeply for this particular paper.

Another idea - destruction of the ego by the Id vs by the SuperEgo. I think Kafka's "Metamorphosis" is an example of the superego taking over, though that is just my own hypothesis. - Heart of Darkness is a good example of the Id's victory, though.

Thanks.

z
Old 03-15-02, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was also thinking of "On the Road" or maybe even "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" or "One flew over the cockoo's Nest" for more modern examples.

All of these - including Steppenwolf - involve drugs as a means, though, and I'm not sure that is the direction I want to take.

and I'm sure that Hitler was a big fan of Neitzche's - German, discusses the righteousness of individual power, can't go wrong with that - well, you obviously can.