Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Fast Food Nation

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-02, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fast Food Nation

I just got this last week while waiting for my gf at the airport. I had to try out one of those book ATM thingies. Anyways, I read the introduction and it sounds interesting. Maybe I will not eat fast food if I read this, which wouldn't be such a bad thing. How is this book?
Old 02-26-02, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A pretty terrific expose on the fast food industry. If it doesn't keep you from fast food, you'll be much more concious of your decisions.
Old 02-26-02, 01:31 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Off-topic....

.... Upton Sinclair's novel The Jungle (I think from the 1930s) is also worth a read if you want to hear how the meat production industry worked then <small>(and now?)</small>
Old 02-26-02, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Any American concerned about (a. their health (b. the way their children are raised and (c. the idea of mega-corporations taking over our lives should read this book. One of the best books I've read in a long time. I had rarely gone to fast food restaurants before - mostly because my wife is a vegetarian so we never eat out at them, second because I never much cared for the food anyway - but after this book I wrote them off altogether. It's one of those books packed to the gills with interesting facts and the research to support them. I already knew about slaughterhouses, for instance, but the stuff about children's marketing and the farming deals was pretty shocking. Really a book worth reading, I hate to use the cliche "it will change your life" but at the very least it will make you think.
Old 02-26-02, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have been a vegetarian most of my life, but I don't think I have ever eaten as much fast food as I did when I read this. Yes, it may be gross, but it will be on your mind alot more than normal. I guess I was celebrating the amreican way of life.........
Old 03-01-02, 01:03 AM

This is a great book! I studied food science in college so a lot of the content did not take me by surprise, but Eric Schlosser did such a good job of writing and researching it that I was fascinated and compelled to keep reading. Anyone who ever eats out should read this book.
Old 03-22-02, 10:59 PM

This book is really an eye-opener! This was my first exposure to the whole food science business and I was pretty surprised. It did put fast food on my mind a lot, while I read this though!
Old 03-23-02, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts
I've seen the book in almost every bookstore I'm in, and I'll admit to being curious.

But it's probably best I don't read it...
Old 03-23-02, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I really enjoyed this book, but I agree that you should also read the Jungle. Some of the that went on at that time were terrible.