Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else enjoy video game tie-in books?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-02, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of the most enjoyable books I've read in the last few years have been based on video games. The following are the ones I have read: All 4 Doom books, all 6 Resident Evil books and recently Halo: Fall of Reach.

Has anyone else read any of the above mentioned books? If so, what did you think. I thought all of them were easy to get into and really flowed. Even when the 3rd and 4th volumes of the Doom books took a really unexpected turn, I still was glad I continued the saga.

I especially like S.D. Perry, the writer of all 6 RE books and wife of Steve Perry (Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire) if I'm not mistaken. I'll admit it helps that I enjoyed all of the games these books were based on, but I feel like they would still be an enjoyable read to someone who hasn't played a video game in their life.
Old 04-24-04, 10:33 PM

Resident Evil

I read all the Resident Evil books. They were so exciting. Finding all these new characters and mysteries that you would never see in the game. Always gets you thinking further into the plot.

Like for instance. Trent. His is someone that gets you thinking. And i was wondering if you noticed in the 5th book. They mentioned a description of Ada Wong running from the zombies or something... I just sat there staring at the book a little while after that. I really want to see her be brought back into the picture. Imagine where we can all be taken with that!
Old 04-25-04, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I always wanted to read the RE books, sounds like they're getting some praise here, going to have to check them out now.
Old 04-25-04, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've read the Fall of Reach and really enjoyed it. Now i just need to check out the other two Halo books.
Old 04-25-04, 07:10 PM

NEW BOOKS!!!!

Resident Evil (Genesis) By Keith R. A. De Candido
-Available August 2004-

Resident Evil (Apocalypse) By Keith R. A. De Candido
-Available September 2004-

I just found these. They are not by S. D. Perry (writer of the original Resident Evils.) So they are going to be fun to read. Nothing against the original author or anything. Just to see how different someone will write them will be good. I'm counting the days till release!!

Last edited by Sabrina29D; 05-02-04 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-25-04, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I strongly recommend original books that aren't just glorified fanfic. If there's a genre you like, try finding out who is good in that genre and go with it. You'll quickly discover that the real article is going to vastly outpace the pile of cliche that is 99% of franchise work.
Old 04-25-04, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
I've read Halo: The Fall of Reach and Halo: The Flood (follows what happens in the game). I've got Halo: First Strike in my to-be-read pile, and will tackle it sometime before the next game comes out. The first 2 books were pretty good, though.
Old 04-26-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I also read The Fall of Reach and really enjoyed it. It definitely helped me to enjoy playing Halo through again, knowing a lot of the backstory.
Old 04-26-04, 03:00 PM

Isn't it fun to read the books and know more into the story than the average gamer!!??
It is always fun to pick up on the little tidbits or hidden secret plots or even humors in the game that you would have never known before?
Has anyone read the Resident Evil series? I want to know what you may think of Trent and what he is about.
And is Ada Wong possibly still ALIVE..?
Old 04-27-04, 12:59 AM

I read the Halo prequel and thought it was merely ok.

I really don't want to read any other stuff, but if I can borrow a book (from the library) in a game world that I really love (like Halo) instead of buying it I'd probably consider doing so.
Old 05-02-04, 07:28 PM

Several years ago there were 4 Doom books that were pretty good.