Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Roger Ebert's Books

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-01, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roger Ebert's Books

Quick question for you, I recieved the newest Roger Ebert Movie Yearbook, for 2002. I visit his page at the Sun Times website regularly, but it's still nice to have all of Ebert's reviews from January 1999 to July of 2001 in print form.

However, back in the day, when I used to buy his Movie Yearbook, he didn't do ALL current reviews. There were older reviews too. Does anyone know what year he began doing the Movie Yearbook in it's current form? I found one on Amazon that I purchased from 2001 that is every review from January 1998 to July 2000.

Just would like to know what the first year he started it this way is, so I can try and track them down.

Also, is it true that Ebert's The Great Movies column is being published in 2002? Does anyone know any details about the book?

Thanks
Old 12-26-01, 05:53 PM

Can't help with your question, sorry.
But I have one of my own: is the Yearbook just a compendium of the previous year's reviews, or does it also include Ebert's essays, Great Movies, Movie Answer Mans, etc.?
Thanks!
Old 12-27-01, 12:11 AM

It includes the essays and interviews, etc. Also the movie answer man stuff too... the 2002 book is everything from Ebert/Suntimes archives from January 1999 to July 1st 2001.

sightandsound
Old 01-08-02, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Does the yearbook contain a review of "Exit Wounds"? Around the time of the film's release, I noticed a review was nowhere to be found on the web site. Did Ebert refuse to review it?
Old 01-11-02, 10:45 PM

I've got his 1993 Movie Companion, and from looking inside the jacket his review books might have started in 1985....just a guess. I like how the book is put together also, not every movie released is reviewed in the book, just selected reviews.
Old 01-17-02, 12:57 AM

Yes the first one was in 1985. (I have a copy) It covers the years 1980 - 1985. It covers 400 films from those years. Pretty small compared to the others in the series.
Old 01-18-02, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like his writing very much. I used to collect his review books but found them to be a bad reference source only because of how they are arranged. As you mention, unlike Maltin's books, reviews are removed to make room for new ones.

Ebert books = smart writing
Ebert books = bad reference books.