Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Anyone ever read "Trout Fishing in America"

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-01, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone ever read "Trout Fishing in America"

What's your take on it... it's not supposed to make any sense at all, right..... right? (although as seen by my signature, I happen to find a great deal of it hilarious in its randomness)
Old 11-26-01, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, I didn;t get it either. I think it is considered classic literature purely by the fact that it has America in it's title
Old 11-28-01, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've read it. It's definitely strange, and not the sort of book you just want to sit down and read, but if you take it a section every day or so, it's pretty entertaining.
Old 12-03-01, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Richard Brautigan's books are pleasant and absurd trifles -- they work best if you don't try to make much out of them... He was one of my favorite authors as a teenager... Very lyrical, and full of whimsy...

Trout Fishing was his breakthrough book, but certainly not his best... Not even the best of his "plotless" books... For more traditional narrative, I recommend:

In Watermelon Sugar -- a pseudo-science-fiction-fantasy, set in a sort of parallel-world hippie commune...
The Hawkline Monster -- a murder-mystery western, very silly and fun...
The Abortion -- a sad and delicate novella... If comparing a book to a song isn't too strange, it really reminds me of BF5's "Brick"...

For a better collection of his prose poems or mini-essays, try The Tokyo-Montana Express...
Old 12-19-01, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
I've really enjoyed everything of his which I've read, including Trout Fishing in America. Very odd stuff, but if you like that book, you would probably like the rest of his novels. His poetry is also very strange, but generally good. I think it's a shame that more people haven't heard of him.
Old 01-08-02, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember meeting him when I was a child they were photographing him on our land.
Anyway he was quite odd and made an impression on me, I remember trying to make sense of his book(s) at the time and was just too young. I rediscovered him in college and found a greater appreciation of his work he is underrated for sure.