Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Posthumous Adams collection/Book6 in Hitchhiker's Guide "Trilogy" [UPDATE: 2008-2009]

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Posthumous Adams collection/Book6 in Hitchhiker's Guide "Trilogy" [UPDATE: 2008-2009]

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-01, 03:54 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the DigitalBits of all places...

Next up, there's word from the BBC that a final novel from author and humorist Douglas Adams will be published next May, on the first anniversary of his death. Salmon of Doubt is reportedly the "sixth" episode of the much-loved Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy "trilogy." The author had apparently been working on the novel for more than a decade, but never completed it. So it will be published that way - edited but unfinished - along with a collection of Adams's final writing, which will include magazine and newspaper articles, lectures, writings from his website and some of his work with BBC Radio 4. The book will also reportedly include his screenplay for the long-awaited (and yet-to-be-realized) film version of Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Count me in.
As nice as this sounds, you have to wonder how satisfying this will be. Even if it does evoke a certain sense of closure to the series, there will obviously be some doubt as to whether that was the particular scenario he would have ended up with if he had finished the book.

-David
Old 11-19-01, 06:07 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wasn't Salmon of Doubt supposed to be the title of the third Dirk Gently novel?
Old 11-19-01, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This from another source (Sydney Morning Herald):

The unfinished final novel of Douglas Adams, the cult science-fiction author, has been recovered from his computer and will be published on the first anniversary of his death next May.

A Salmon of Doubt will be the sixth and final episode in the Hitch Hiker series, and though it will be edited it will remain unfinished. The work was found by Jane Belson, his widow, and Sophie Astin, his personal assistant.

Adams, who died suddenly of a heart attack at 49, suffered from writer's block and is believed to have been working on the book for 11 years.

Ed Victor, his agent, said: "We have pored over Douglas's hard drive. There were so many different versions of the novel. Douglas would take it and then revise it repeatedly so there were many files.

"As soon as he wrote anything he would say, 'Oh God, that's terrible'. He was a very, very self-critical author and so had a lot of trouble writing. He was a perfectionist."

A Salmon of Doubt will be published in a volume of the author's final writing, much of it unseen. The compendium includes magazine and newspaper articles, lectures, writings from his website and his work with BBC Radio. It will also include the screenplay of The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Mr Victor said: "We have transcripts of about five general lectures he gave, which are marvellous. Douglas made his living as a lecturer for the past 10 years because he was so stuck on his novel.

"He also wrote sleeve notes for the Brandenburg Concertos. Penguin issued a series of classical CDs and Douglas was a Bach fanatic so he wrote the sleeve notes.

"There is also a hilarious essay called My Nose, which he wrote for GQ magazine in 1991. There are pieces that he wrote for the website, for example one about two dogs called Maggie and Trudy who kept him company from Santa Fe into Mexico when he wrote a script for The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy film, and there is also a substantial amount of e-mail correspondence he had with his family and friends."

His wife, a lawyer, and his daughter Polly, returned to London two weeks ago. The house where the family lived in Santa Barbara, California, has been put up for sale.

Ms Belson has been one of a number of editors working on her husband's work. The others include Peter Guzzardi, who was his American editor for many years, Mr Victor and Miss Astin.

Miss Astin said: It is nice to be reading his work but it is tinged with great sadness. There is 20 years of work on the computer and I am pulling together all sorts of things. It will be a surprise but it will make people laugh, I hope."

Adams shot to fame after the book of his BBC radio series The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy was published in 1979. It went straight to number one on the British bestsellers' list and sold more than 14 million copies.

His subsequent novels included the best-selling titles The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (1980), Life, The Universe and Everything (1982), So Long and Thanks for all the Fish (1984) and Mostly Harmless (1992).

Miss Astin, who worked for Adams for five years before his death, said the final book was intended to be both a recognition of his contribution to literature and a conclusion of his work. Mr Victor said: "It is a last will and testament of Adams in his writing."
Must admit, it will be interesting how the final work will read given there are apparently a few versions of it on his hard drive. Still, I'll be looking forward to that one anyway.
Old 11-20-01, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

when Adams passed, Neil Gaiman expressed his hope that Adams's wishes would be respected and that no unpublished works would be released. his fears have come to fruition.

for himself, Gaiman plans on making provisions for such unpublished works in his will.

DJ
Old 11-20-01, 10:40 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
I think I'll pass on this one.

Being there are so many books that were actually meant to be published, I think I'll read those.
Old 11-20-01, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I rather liked the end of the "trilogy" in "Mostly Harmless". As much as I'd like a 6th book, I may fight the urge to buy this one, especially since it's not finished!
Old 11-26-01, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll read it out of curiosity.. but.. as I remember.. the 5th book was a widdle weak.. *trying to dust of the memories*
Old 12-19-01, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
I read an interview a while ago in which DA stated that yes, Salmon of Doubt was intended to be the third Dirk Gentley novel, but he realized the tone of the book fit the Hitchhiker's universe better. I can't imagine how you would make that transition, but apparently he did.

I will probably buy the book, taking it for what it is, an unfinished book that the author didn't want anyone to see. At the very least it will be a look into the creative mind of an excellent author.
Old 12-20-01, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
It's a shame that this is going to be published posthumously against Adams' wishes. Anything for a buck.

Besides, five books is enough for any trilogy...
Old 06-03-02, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

New posthumous Douglas Adams collection

Has anyone else picked this up?

I was hesitant about buying it at first, since the Salmon of Doubt portion of it is culled from several different versions of the book spread across several different computers. I haven't gotten to that portion of the book yet, but I'm enjoying the first half. It's basically a bunch of interviews, articles and speeches on a very wide variety of topics. On of the pieces is an intro to another author's posthumous book, strangely enough.

It's kind of odd, though. The book is alternately very funny and rather sad. Adam's death was one of the first "celebrity" deaths that really affected me.
Old 06-18-02, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
I've been currently reading this but have not finished or gotten to the Salmon of Doubt part of the book. So far, it's pretty good. It gives a good insight into who he was as a person.
Old 06-21-02, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I read it and liked it.

It was sad, but the first half was really good - just a collection of his interviews and random writings.

Plus there was a slightly different version of "Young Zaphod Plays it Safe" that made a lot more sense than the originally published version did.
Old 06-21-02, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh, I didn't realize that "Young Zaphod Plays it Safe" was at all different. I'd skipped over it, since I've already read it several times. I still haven't gotten to the Salmon of Doubt portion, though.

I agree, though. The first half was excellent. I've always loved that story about waiting at the train station with a packet of cookies.
Old 09-17-08, 08:37 AM
Mod Emeritus

Book Six in the trilogy is due out October 2009!

And Another thing....
Old 09-17-08, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by benedict
There have been enough!

What more can one do to this story?...
Old 09-20-08, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Originally Posted by benedict
Fuck this.

It seems pretty obvious that "Mostly Harmless" was meant to be Adams' final statement on the HHGTTG. It's best to leave it that way.