Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Books you should have read, but haven't

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-01, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone else out there feel guilty about books you've always wanted to or felt obligated to read, but never got around to them?

I can't believe that I've never read The Iliad, Hamlet (I think I'm the only person I know who hasn't read that...my high school did Othello and King Lear instead), Crime and Punishment, etc.
Old 06-28-01, 06:11 AM

I started A Clockwork Orange and Lolita at least 3 times each and never finished them. Not that I didn't like them, I just felt I wasn't giving enough attention.

I feel guilty about never reading To Kill A Mockingbird. About not reading enough Hemingway and Steinbeck. About never reading The Origin of Species.

And I feel guilty about the last 3 books on my shelf that I've read the first chapter and then put them down. I'll go back to them for sure, I always do, but lately I've been so picky about what I feel like reading.

Thanks for making me remember all the bad things I've done, literary-wise.
Old 06-28-01, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Harry Potter
Old 07-03-01, 07:10 PM

I've wanted to read Moby Dick but the grammar
really is too ponderous. I'll read it someday.

And I started The Arabian Nights but got distracted
by other events in my life and never finished.
I'll have to reread this one.

Old 07-11-01, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never finished Mason and Dixon. I loved the half I read, but it requires concentration and complete involvement - something I just don't have the mind for when I'm too busy with work.

I feel guilty for reading the cliff notes instead of nearly every book we were supposed to read in high school. Though I have caught up on reading most of them since.

aob505 - I haven't read any Harry Potter either.

-Steph
Adult DVD Talk
Old 07-11-01, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by StephDunn

aob505 - I haven't read any Harry Potter either.

-Steph
Adult DVD Talk
I decided that I am going to start on the Harry Potter books. I figured I might as well since the movie is coming out soon.
Old 07-13-01, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Loads!!!

Moby Dick
Ulysses
Bleak House
The Brothers Karamazov
The Road to Wigan Pier
War and Peace....ha - only kidding.
Old 07-13-01, 06:02 PM

I read SF and Fantasy almost exclusively, yet I have never read the Lord of the Rings.
Old 07-13-01, 08:23 PM

The Illiad -- I bought it opened the first page and promptly fell asleep. It was during a hectic time at work and I never got around to even starting it so it's sitting on my shelf at my parent's house gathering dust.

For those of you who haven't read books by Dostoevsky you're truly missing out!! I have yet to come across a single person who has not liked his books!! Enjoy!
Old 07-31-01, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Eventually I am going to read Lord of the Rings, The Narnia series, and The Wizard of Oz. All of these are books I should have read years ago while I was in school. I am sure I will get to Harry Potter eventually, but that isn't high on my priority list.
Old 07-31-01, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Sound & The Fury
Old 07-31-01, 05:50 PM

Steppenwolf

Old Man and the Sea
Old 07-31-01, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"The Catcher in the Rye", by J.D. Salinger

I feel like Mel Gibson.
Old 07-31-01, 07:28 PM
Cool New Member

<--- *hangs head in shame*
Old 01-15-03, 11:33 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Despite having owned the first four books for a full year now, I've still to read any Harry Potter....

.... that said I am somewhat more concerned about my failure to get to grips with much in the way of "great" Russian or American literature. I have a copy of Anna Karenina on the "to read" book case so.... maybe one day!

Last edited by benedict; 01-15-03 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-15-03, 03:05 PM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Despite having owned the first four books for a full year now, I've still to read any Harry Potter....
One thing about the Potter books that I can verify, they are very fast reads. . .

Myself, I am very short in many of the classics. Wasn't there a top 100 books of all-time put out by the NY Times? I should probably find that, stop procrastinating, and just get started.
Old 01-16-03, 08:39 AM

I took a seminar on Yeats and Joyce, mainly because I wanted guidance when I read Ulysses. But it came at the end of the semester when I was busy writing papers, and I didn't get past the first two chapters.

I think I remember finishing Anna Karenina, but if I did, it's the only great Russian novel I've read. Too little time.
Old 01-16-03, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I feel [slightly] guilty for not finishing Pale Fire, before coming back to school, but only slightly.

Also some of the fantasy series I just "gave up" on because they were too tedious (eg - Wheel of Time, Sword of Truth, Song of Ice and Fire). I feel like I invested way too much time in reading the others to just stop before its over. But then again, I'll probably go back to A Song of Ice and Fire because I loved that series.

Otherwise, I only look forward to reading more. The more I think of books that I "should" have read, I just think that I WILL read them. I've never felt guilty for not getting to a book yet. It'll all come in due time.
Old 01-22-03, 10:00 AM

I never finished War and Peace, I read the first part/book and then the last fifty pages before writing the essay. Now it sits on a shelf with a bookmark about three-hundred pages in.
Old 01-22-03, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by RaraFemina
Eventually I am going to read Lord of the Rings, The Narnia series, and The Wizard of Oz. All of these are books I should have read years ago while I was in school. I am sure I will get to Harry Potter eventually, but that isn't high on my priority list.
I need to read LotR, too. But I have read the other books you mentioned and I strongly recommend all of them.
And I agree that Harry Potter is a quick read- I got the set for Christmas and I finished them a couple weeks ago.

As soon as I get the chance I will be reading The Hobbit and LotR, hopefully I'll be able to get them finished before RotK comes out in theaters.

Last edited by hotaru_san; 01-22-03 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-23-03, 08:15 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
Moby Dick
Harry Potter
Old 01-23-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts
I really need to re-read Frankenstein and Dracula. I read them when I was about twelve, and I'm sure I missed almost everything important.

I started the Illiad once, and immediately realized that the copy in the library was a bad translation. If someone puts three words I don't know on the first page, he's doing it to show off. I never got back to it.

Started The Sound and the Fury. It was during finals. Bzzt.

When I read great literature, I actually enjoy it more than the fluff I usually read. But I rarely read it because it requires a greater investment of energy and time.

If you want to read The Arabian Nights, I reccomend the Haddawy translation. It's much more readable than Richard Burton.
Old 02-05-03, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always wanted to read "War and Peace," but everytime I start it I can't stay with it. It gets boring and I lose interest. For some reason I still feel that I should read it. Someday i will try again.
Old 02-09-03, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Interestingly enough...I've read a lot of the books that people have mentioned here.

The ones that I haven't are the doorstops: War and Peace, Les Miserables and Anna Karennina. The latter seems like the best possibility for the short term.

I've never started any of the three. When I do, I'll plow on through. Eventually.
Old 02-13-03, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Count of Monte Cristo.

I will get to it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.