Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Tips on displaying books?

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Tips on displaying books?

Old 06-22-01, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a relatively modest collection of first-edition signed books by authors I consider among my favorites. All I have right now is "Rum Punch" signed by Elmore Leonard, "Strip Tease" signed by Carl Hiaasen, "The Hot Rock" signed by Donald E. Westlake, "Catskill Eagle" signed by Robert B. Parker, and "The Love Song of J. Edgar Hoover" by Kinky Friedman.

I want to display these, but don't really know how to go about doing so. I looked around for metal book stands, but haven't had much luck. I'm not looking to sell these down the line so not sure i need to worry about covers, but any advice from people who collect first editions or autographed copies would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-23-01, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a pretty large collection of first editions and I keep them on a shelf just like my "regular" books. They have their own separate area, though.

But (most of) mine are not signed. So that may be a difference.

I have seen some acrylic stands that display the book's cover (as opposed to my spines) and since the stands are clear it looks pretty good. You just see the book at first glance, you know?

I don't know where the stands were had. I will ask around and try to find out. In the meantime, I'd suggest calling a local used book retailer. Not a big chain, but a place that deals with first editions and the like. Perhaps they might have some good suggestions?
Old 06-24-01, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Badger, various craft and/or artist-supply stores such as Michaels have book holding displays. Some are very attractively stained wooden holders and some are the foldout metal kind.

Another source of holders are "collectible plate display" holders. You can also find those at various stores like World Imports.
Old 07-15-01, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would store them pretty much like any other books - but if they were special, I'd keep them out of the light!!!