Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Buy that June Book! Enders Game

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-01, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Orson Scott Card - Ender's Game

is what slightly won in the votes.

Pick up this book from amazon.com, bn.com, borders.com, or whereever using the affiliate links found here http://www.dvdtalk.com/support.html

This month I take my LSAT, so I will have to sit this one out! If someone wants to take over my spot as the discussion "leader" that will be fine.

Otherwise I say just post at will. It doesn't seem too unruly.

have a great read!

Curtis
Old 05-28-01, 03:55 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is it about such an old book that is causing it to get so many votes? I'd think a "book of the month" would be oh, I donno, something published within the last few YEARS?
Old 05-28-01, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn! I wanted choke. But oh well. I'm sure this will be a good novel. Isn't it part of a series?
Old 05-28-01, 09:03 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Ender is a great book. Yes it's part of a series but the later books take a markedly different tone than the first, so it sort of stands alone.

I'm sure any sci-fi/fantasy fan has read this book so lots of folks will be able to participate. It's also a standard suggested read for junior high students, and military instruction. Interesting stuff.

But I agree, how about for the next book we try something that not alot of people have read already? I'm always into finding something new.

[Edited by Eric F on 05-28-01 at 08:15 PM]
Old 05-28-01, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Darren and Eric F, If you wanted something different why didn't you vote?
Old 05-28-01, 10:15 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
I didn't notice the poll. Where is it, on this forum?
Old 05-28-01, 10:18 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by Scarecrow
Darren and Eric F, If you wanted something different why didn't you vote?
Because I don't read this area very often-- there are SO many books available and SO many tastes in books, it isn't likely for majority agreements on virtually any book. I could mention tens or dozens of books that I like, but could never narrow down to a few to "vote" on. Recomendations would also be conditional as to personal tastes and reading levels.

This thread caught my attention, though, because it really does seem to me that "books of the month" would be recent publications. Ender's Game came out years and years ago. In fact, I was fully suprised to read in the forward of Ender's Shadow that Ender's Game had some popularity as a reading in schools now. The book never struck me as a juvie, and complaints of the latter books NOT being juvies seemed, to me, to be rather baseless.
Old 05-29-01, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess I feel that book of the months can be about reading anything that anyone wants to read. Why limit yourself to "new" books in something like this? Too many people miss books and haven't read the "classics". Also, I think that HBWOSG was actually relatively new.
Old 05-29-01, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Darren Garrison
What is it about such an old book that is causing it to get so many votes? I'd think a "book of the month" would be oh, I donno, something published within the last few YEARS?
I guess I'll jump in on this since I nominated Ender's Game.

The reason I picked Ender's Game is because it's a good book, not because it's old. I threw out something that I enjoyed reading and I hope that others enjoyed reading as well.

Alyoshka brought up a good point. Why should we limit ourselves to "new" books? I'm excited that we are already putting variety in this book of the month project. Ender's Game is completely different from HBWOSG. Not only is it an older book, but it's also sci-fi/fantasy.

I wasn't too excited when HBWOSG "won" the 1st book of the month. It was something I normally wouldn't want to read. But I wanted to take part in the conversations that would lead from it.

I guess if you want something "new" next time, participate and nominate something you would enjoy. Maybe we'll all end up reading it and you would have brought something positive to the forum. I guess that is part of what the book of the month is all about. To get others introduced to selections they would normally not choose.

-Steve
Old 05-29-01, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The book of the month club seems to have turned into a "nominate your all time favorite book" club. I thought the idea of a book of the month was to read something you've never read before (maybe I was wrong), but instead it seems that the nominated books have already been read by the people who voted on them.
Old 05-29-01, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

so whats the deal? when do we start reading and is there a schedule for completing sections of the book? or for conversation? how does this work? never done it before!
Old 05-29-01, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree basically with JMLewis. Any book club I've ever known about, had experience with, was a club to read books that nobody had read before. Most people join clubs to expand their library of books read, not just discuss some book they really dug.

With a book like Ender's Game, so many people have read it, and some read it quite a while ago, that it does ring a bit odd to me. JMHO.

That being said, I am in this club by my own choice and will read whatever we decide to read. So EG it is...

Moorehed,
Check out the threads dedicated to the May reading - Staggering Work of Heartbreaking Genius. They are self-explanatory as to what, where, when, how.
Old 05-29-01, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey, I'm game too, I wasn't able to take part in the last discussion due to some school obligations, but I'm totally free now. I haven't read much sci-fi, but what I have read I really liked so I'm up for this.

I'm not too good at being "the leader" so maybe someone who has read the book a couple of times already could lead the discussion since Alyoshka will be busy this month.

Anyone want to do the honors?
Old 05-29-01, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by JMLEWIS1
The book of the month club seems to have turned into a "nominate your all time favorite book" club. I thought the idea of a book of the month was to read something you've never read before (maybe I was wrong), but instead it seems that the nominated books have already been read by the people who voted on them.
I voted for it. (I later deleted my vote since I don't think I'll be able to participate this month).

I for one have never read it. It's one of those books that I have meant to read for years, but never have. Choke seemed interesting to me, but it's only available in hardcover and I didn't feel like spending $20 (since it's only available in hardcover) for something I wasn't sure I'd like. So I chose something I've wanted to read. This gave me an excuse to put it ahead of other books in my to be read pile.

If folks want this to be only about "current" books that's fine. Maybe what needs to happen is we need to start a thread with proposed guidelines for choosing a book. We can then discuss them and have them in place starting with the next book.

With a book like Ender's Game, so many people have read it, and some read it quite a while ago, that it does ring a bit odd to me. JMHO.
The same thing could be said for Snow Crash since it's been out for almost 10 years.

The only other thing I'll bring up is that unless I miscounted Snow Crash and Ender's Game got the same number of votes, so there probably should have been a discussion about which one to go with. Maybe there still should be.

My 2 cents.

[Edited by Scarecrow on 05-29-01 at 08:48 PM]
Old 05-30-01, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scarecrow
Originally posted by JMLEWIS1

The only other thing I'll bring up is that unless I miscounted Snow Crash and Ender's Game got the same number of votes, so there probably should have been a discussion about which one to go with. Maybe there still should be.

My 2 cents.

[Edited by Scarecrow on 05-29-01 at 08:48 PM]
It looks like there is a tie. I'm not sure if that's because there are missing votes now or what. I know that I took my vote off since I decided I won't have time to participate, and I wonder if others have done that. I didn't print out the thread with votes or anything which might have been a mistake.

Does everyone want to discuss if it should be Snow Crash or Enders Game?
Old 05-30-01, 10:42 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

As I am interested in reading both, how about the following.

Set a deadline for voting on the 2 books, Snow Crash and Enders Game.

obviously those that already bought ender's game to read(if they didn't have it already) will still vote for it.

If a new vote occurs between these two books, I vote for Snow Crash

If no new vote, I will be happy to read Ender's Game.

so, in anycase I get to read something I haven't yet, and have wanted to.
Old 05-30-01, 12:51 PM
Mod Emeritus

I agree that perhaps the eligibility can be changed next time. Or have two threads; one for discussion of the new book of the month and one for the classic book of the month. Whatever.

I hope to join in this time and have no preference as to Snow Crash or Ender's Game.
Old 05-30-01, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Alyoshka
It looks like there is a tie. I'm not sure if that's because there are missing votes now or what. I know that I took my vote off since I decided I won't have time to participate, and I wonder if others have done that. I didn't print out the thread with votes or anything which might have been a mistake.

Does everyone want to discuss if it should be Snow Crash or Enders Game? [/B]
Why don't we have a runoff vote between the two books?
Old 06-01-01, 07:48 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Has any sort of decision been reached?

I say since it is June 1, and the topic says Enders Game is the June book, lets just go with that.
Otherwise, I can see this dragging on and perhaps not having a June book to read.

What say you Alyoshka?
Old 06-01-01, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Vryce

What say you Alyoshka?
Well, there hasn't been much discussion about it. Let's just got with Ender's Game this month. We'll all think for a week or two about if it should only be "new" books next month and vote here pretty soon.

Anyone who isn't happy with reading Ender's Game...next month will be better than ever . I think people are just ready to get started now and some already have EG.

Have fun reading everyone!