Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Where do you get the books you read?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-01, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The book forum is really taking off, and a lot of books are being reccomended. While I don't think this merits a book bargain forum (not even close ), I think we would also be doing ourselves a favor by sharing where we get the books that we read.

I always buy my books, primarily because I do most of my reading far from home. However, I don't have tons of money so I bargain shop on the net. I have found this works particularly well with long series. Since everyone seems to be reccomending George RR Martin, I went and picked up the first two books from Half.com with a 5 dollar coupon and paid about 7 dollars shipped. For the series I've been trying to reccomend- Otherland by Tad Williams, I've noticed you can probably have the first three books for less than 10 dollars doing the same. All the Feist, Goodkind, and Jordan stuff is up there as well.

For the few series or authors where I just need the hardcover when it comes out, I get them at Barnes and Noble for 40% off during the first or second week of release.

I've noticed a few people here mentioning they borrow recently released books from the library. To be honest, while I used to be a frequent visitor to my local library when I was younger, I never considered them as a decent source of very current books lately. Sounds to me like I should check it all out though.

I don't often borrow other people's books, although that is another very affordable alternative.

So, beg, borrow, or steal. Which is it folks?

[Edited by MrKen on 05-01-01 at 08:40 PM]
Old 05-01-01, 10:51 PM
Needs to provide a working email

I usually wait for the paperback or, if a hardback, at least wait for the "newness" to wear off and buy a copy off of the net. Try http://www.auctionwatch.com, http://www.abebooks.com, or http://www.bibliofind.com
Old 05-01-01, 11:15 PM

half-price books, they have a great selection.
Old 05-01-01, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by junkie
half-price books, they have a great selection.
I absolutely love this store. Every once and a while they have a half off / half off sale. Meaning the books are normally half cover price. When they have the sale you get half off the half.

Sometimes their selection sucks, sometimes it's great. I've gotten some good deals on computer software and DVD's there too.
Old 05-02-01, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I can get it at the library I do. Otherwise I go to http://www.addall.com and see where I can get it cheapest at. I used to mostly buy from Amazon, but lately bamm.com has become my #1.

Old 05-02-01, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Only buy ebooks. The text ones for my palm come from http://www.peanutpress.com and my audio books come from http://www.audible.com
Old 05-02-01, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.bookcloseouts.com rocks my world.

DJ
Old 05-02-01, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Used book stores. Believe it or not, L.A. has more bookstores per capita than any other city in the world. There are also a wealth of used book stores. (My favorite is The Iliad in North Hollywood.)
Old 05-02-01, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I buy my books almost exclusively from local indie book stores. For my quick read paperbacks i scour the used stores especially. That way i can take a risk on a new author and not be to upset if i hate it.

I used to work at a new/used bookstore in WV and i developed a very strong drive to support the little local businesses. It really helps a community i think when people buy things from the indie places. And since i have everyones ear here (well eyes i guess) i'll give a quick shameless plug for a little place in morgantown, WV called the Bookshelf... if you ever have a chance stop in and pick something up. The pizzeria next door serves a killer pie as well
Old 05-02-01, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's funny, but I don't buy books at Amazon. Their shipping is just too high.
Believe it or not, I've been getting some good paperbacks at Super K, Walmart, and Giant Eagle(just picked up The Remorseful Day, by Colin Dexter). You get discounts at Super k and Walmart, too.
Old 05-02-01, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I usually buy mine at library sales, yard sales, and used bookstores. I also frequent a small bookstore where I work because the staff is knowledgable. Plus, for every $100 I spend, the give me a $10 gift certificate. Seeing that they have cd's as well, I will usually get the GC every 3-4 months.

-Steve
Old 05-02-01, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We have some Book Werehouse stores that have newer hardbacks for really cheap. Honestly, I've been laying off the new books, and turing my attention to the classics, which mostly are available for free for my ebook reader. I have many, many books to catch up on.

robyn
Old 05-02-01, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't over look eBay either. I've gotten some good deals on stuff there. I'll look for someone selling a bunch of books and get more than one. That way shipping doesn't ruin the prices.

Every once in a while there will be a book that I just have to have NOW. Like the next one in a series and I can't wait to get a hold of it. At these times I can never seem to find it used so I'll usually end up paying full price at Borders or Barnes & Noble/B. Dalton.

People mentioning the library have a good idea. I don't think I've been to one in about 5 years. I used to get all kinds of used books fo .10 to 1.00 back then. I might just have to swing by and see what I can come up with.

Old 05-02-01, 11:48 AM

Where do you get the books you read?

I used to buy lots and lots of new books, but as the library grew, I realized how little I re-read many of the books. If the books are readable only "once", then I stopped buying them new and waited to pick them up used. If I was desperate to read it (like the latest Clancy, Feist, Wurts), I'd buy the hardcover at Sam's Club/Costco first and via B&N online second due to a corporate discount.

I rarely buy new now. I usually buy many used books from used book stores or library sales. Because there are way more books than I have time to read, I am not under an artificial time pressure to buy the latest new book to read, so that is why I am content to wait and buy a used version.

If you're content to read a used book, then go buy some at your local "Friends of the Library" type used book sale. You can find out more about these by calling your local library and asking when the next used book sale is.

Here is an example of the Seattle Library's sale of 100,000 used books that couldn't be added to their collection. Books range from 0.50 to 1.00 each typically. If you are a Library member, you can buy up to 25 books on the day before the sale is opened to the general public.

The yellow pages are a good source of used book stores. In some areas, the used book stores may have allied themselves into an "antiquarian book league" or something similar. If so, you might find at the sales counter some little brochure listing various used bookstores. Why would a used bookstore support competing bookstores? Well, used bookstores often need a steady flow of customers who also SELL used books or else they'd run out of things to sell to you. By insuring that they "grow" their market, all of the stores can have an easier time surviving against the megastores.

Whenever I travel, I make time to visit some of the used bookstores. That approached had gotten me many many hundreds of books. I first ask the bookseller if they will ship books, and if they say yes, I start making a little pile for them to box up and ship (because I am travelling, I don't have the room to carry back all my purchases).

ONLINE BUYING OF NEW BOOKS:

Meta-search tool: *startide recommended*
http://www.bestwebbuys.com/books/index.html

Closeouts (also recommended by djtoell)
http://www.bookcloseouts.com/bc/home.asp

Meta-search tool: *startide recommended*
http://isbn.nu/isbn.html

My FAVOURITE used bookstore (Phoenix, Arizona)
The Bent Cover -- the lady that owns it has a pretty good sense of humour and the store does ship via UPS. I've bought hundreds of used books from this store (while visiting the store in person, I'd have them ship the books back to Seattle). With the name "Bent Cover" might give you a vision of books whose content is bent, ummm, actually, the bookstore is a large place filled to the rafters with used books of all types. I'm amazed at the places they store books (there are so very many). On one visit, they had a bunch of boxes in the aisle due to picking up books from an estate sale. The deceased was a bibliophile who kept his science-fiction in pristine condition and there were a lot of OLD titles there. No, there weren't any first printings of autographed Asimov, but still, there was a lot of stuff. It looked like the guy kept buying newer sci-fi and didn't even read them since his collection continued into newer titles that never looked like they had been thumbed.

Anyways, a used bookstore is a good way to avoid the inflated used prices on Amazon's zshop category. I hope that you guys take a look at the yellow pages for used book stores in your area as well as the Friends of the Library sales.
Old 05-02-01, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I pick up lots of stuff at a used-book store in Centreville, VA (McKay's). I also pick up books of authors I've not tried at the library to give them a shot. If I like a book, I'll pick it up at a store. I also get them from the Sci-Fi Book Club. Usually, their hardcovers are smaller than those in stores but I actually like that as some of those books (such as Game of Thrones) are huge and not the easiest stuff to lug around.
Old 05-02-01, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I used to buy all my books (online, b+m, wherever). Then we moved and I had to pack, lug, unpack, etc and I was hit with the realization that 99% of the books I never open once I'm done.

For the last few years I have become a library maniac. I keep a running list of titles, and then get it through the library. Quick, painless, cheap.

Old 05-02-01, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Definitely used book stores; library book sales are the absolute best if your area has them

I'm very rarely looking for a specific book to buy right that moment. Instead, I just pick up whatever looks interesting that I happen to find, and it gets put on the shelf to be read whenever I'm in the mood for it -- maybe in a week, maybe in five years!

This is mainly because I have a really large backlog of unread books. With so many at hand, I can just wander into the "library" and be sure to find something that fits my mood at the moment. I don't have a real urge to go out and find specific books.

The one exception is if I'm in the middle of a series -- if I can't find the next book or books, I might pick them up new so that I don't have to wait forever to finish it.

I've never been a big one on reading library fiction -- partly because it's mostly hardcovers, and I dislike reading hardcovers (I prefer paperbacks for their size and small font). I use the library for nonfiction, research, etc., though.
Old 05-02-01, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Another library 'plus' (at least in my area, but I imagine it's prevalent elsewhere):
I can search over 76 area libraries via the internet , see what's on the shelf where, request specific titles to 'loaned' to my library, and I have to say, it's the best.

If it's on the shelf at a distant library, I can have it within a week. And with my rotating request list, I'm never at a loss for a stack of good reading without having to do too much hunting.

Old 05-02-01, 04:14 PM

If it is a new book I always check the Sci-Fi Book Club first. If they don't have it and I really want it, then I will pay full price. They are the only club that actually is a good deal. Most of the books are $9-$13 for hardcovers. Also, if you are feeling 'random' then they occasionally have a 'grab bag' option on the mailer in which they send you 4 random books for $10! I have only gotten 1 duplicate book this way. (I got one other duplicate, but that was because I had forgotten that I already ordered "Shadow of the Hedgemon." That's ok though 'cause I gave it as a gift.)

I don't buy many books right now because I have so many that I haven't read, but for the few that are coming out that I need, SFBC is the place for me. If they have it anyway.

-CM-
Old 05-02-01, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I get almost all of my books from the library.
Old 05-02-01, 09:53 PM
Banned

the library(not a dot com the actual thing!)
ebay
half.com
books-a-million
waldenbooks
amazon.com

I buy them to read them not to collect them unless i love them. I'm just a student now so i have a budget!
Old 05-02-01, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I used to buy all paperbacks, either at a used book store, or otherwise.

But in the last few years, like others mentioned, I've been going to get them at the library; Usually I don't want to wait forever for the hardcovers to get to paperback; plus it's free. It's easy for me to reserve a book on the web and go pick it up (just a couple miles away).

I stumbled upon my first library sale 2 years ago. $2 a BAG of paperbacks! It was hilarious! All these older people, pushing & shoving each other, hardly taking the time to check the book titles, just grabbing them and shoving them in bags. My girlfriend and I walked away with about 4 or 5 bags between us! Plus hard covers were $1-$5 or so.
Old 06-10-01, 01:29 AM
Banned

I'm curious about this. I have a nice long list of books that I want, and I started going through them on amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, fatbrain.com, ebay.com, half.com, etc and the prices are just outrageous. For some of the books they don't even offer a discount!!! You have to pay the full list price! That's the stupidest thing ever. And what's worse is that these books are already expensive because they're textbooks or computer books.
Old 06-10-01, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even though this might be the wrong spot, I'm sure it'll be moved soon. I just don't buy books online if I can help it. Even if you do find someplace that will save you money, they really hit your hard with the shipping for them for some reason. I just go to the local Barnes and Noble or Books-a-Million and hope to god they have it and don't make me stoop down to Walden Book's standards.

~Scheherazade
Old 06-10-01, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

try a1books.com - sometimes they have good prices.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.